Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:54 PM

183 posts, read 861,811 times

Advertisements

I don't know that much specifically about UNLV but like most large universities,
there will be strong areas and weak areas. You need to be more specific.

I did my undergraduate work years ago at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln.
Overall, it was a so-so school. At that time it was really poor in areas like
Architecture and Business but, conversely, it was in the upper echelon of Computer
Science programs and ranked top three nationwide in Journalism.

I would strongly suggest that you make inquiries about specific fields of study
at UNLV. You would probably get a much more useful picture.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 09:32 PM

19 posts, read 98,761 times
Some say that UNLV stands for U will Never Leave Vegas as the education is worthless if you decide to find work outside of Vegas. It's all baloney. For Hotel Administration, the school is one of the best in the country. For other majors, it depends on what you want to do. If you decide to stay in town then the school would be beneficial to you. And I agree with what's been said - it's not on the same level as top tier schools but if you are only looking for an undergraduate education then it would definitely be worth the investment to transfer.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 AM

818 posts, read 3,699,279 times
Remember that your grades don't transfer, only your credits, and some of those won't even transfer.

I would suggest to save money by taking any general education classes at CCSN (broken link) for the first year, then establish residency. Once you take care of that, then transfer everything to UNLV and finish your degree at the in-state tuition rate. You should get a NV driver's license as soon as you can, and if you're living with your sister, get one or more of the household utilities in your name and save the bills.

When it's all said and done, your degree will not say that you took US History or Macroeconomics at the community college, but your bank account or student loan balance will be much better off.

Good Luck!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:54 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,365,413 times
What makes a university good or bad? If UNLV isn't a good school, why not? And if USC is a good school, why? Wouldn't all schools have areas in which they specialize? After all, Las Vegas has the most hotel rooms of any other US city and 40 million tourists a year visiting here. Doesn't it make sense that UNLV would be a (maybe THE) top hotel management school? UNR specializes in mining. And why not? Mining is a big deal in Nevada. It's the second most important industry after the service industry. At Sierra Nevada College at Incline Village you can learn to manage ski resorts, among other things. There are 19 ski resorts at Lake Tahoe alone. Why do people make these things sound bad?

Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,689,706 times
Some say that San Diego State, is bad, but their International Business is remarkable as you can also get a dual-degree in another country...

Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
Some say that San Diego State, is bad, but their International Business is remarkable as you can also get a dual-degree in another country...
Si, señior.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:05 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,748,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanstation View Post
Some say that UNLV stands for U will Never Leave Vegas as the education is worthless if you decide to find work outside of Vegas. It's all baloney. For Hotel Administration, the school is one of the best in the country. For other majors, it depends on what you want to do. If you decide to stay in town then the school would be beneficial to you. And I agree with what's been said - it's not on the same level as top tier schools but if you are only looking for an undergraduate education then it would definitely be worth the investment to transfer.
This is nonsense. I graduated from UNLV and am doing well. I know many others that graduated there and are also doing well. The only people that I've ever heard cut down UNLV are people that didn't graduate from the university. UNLV is an accredited university and your degree from there is every bit as good as a degree from other universities. I've yet to have someone question UNLV because of "tier" it is. There are so many people entering the work force today with "degrees" from bogus schools that people at least know UNLV is a real college.

And about credits transfering - it's not just UNLV that may not take some credits. Every college out there has classes that may or may not be transferred in or out of that university.

I graduated from UNLV. I found it to be a good college. Like I said, the only people I had ever heard speak negative of it are people that had never went there or people that went a short time but never graduate. I've yet to hear an actuall graduate from there knock the school or say that getting their degree at UNLV has in some way held them back.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:15 AM

818 posts, read 3,699,279 times
I graduated from UNLV as well. I had to switch majors because I found the Communications school to be subpar, but there are many different fields to choose from.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
I graduated from UNLV as well. I had to switch majors because I found the Communications school to be subpar, but there are many different fields to choose from.
I don't know if it has changed in recent years but I felt the Communications School at UNLV was subpar also. Not because I was a student but because I enterviewed many people from there who were looking for jobs in television. But then I thought that most universities had the same problem. Over the years, most recent graduates that I enterviewed, no matter what school they came from, had almost no knowledge of broadcasting after four years "training". Maybe the emphasis had been on other branches of "Communication".

The problems that I found with most schools is typical of all schools; they don't let the students get hands on experience. You can't learn it all from textbooks. The other problem that I noticed was that most of the instructors had never worked in broadcasting themselves, and they generally had a pie in the sky, glorified, textbook view of the industry. They had little to no actual reality.

That said, I hired and worked with some excellent people that got their degrees from UNLV. One local TV news anchor being one of the most notable. She is one of those who was given the opportunity at UNLV to do on air work at Ch. 10; however she had already been an entertainer in high school, so I'm sure that made a difference. Not all the students actually get to work at CH 10 and that's a shame.

Interestingly, the old VoTech used to turn out more good people in various fields than most colleges do, because there it was all hands on training.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 AM

UNLV has more of an image problem than an academic one. First of all, it takes years for any school to build a reputation for academics. But it only takes one good year to build one for athletics. Since the 1930's, Las Vegas has carefully built an image of the place to go for fun and entertainment. Because it is a resort town, it is hard for people to think of it as a college town. So what? Who cares what they think? Does anyone think of Orlando or Aneheim as a place to get an education; or is there nothing there but Disneyland? UNLV is just an added bonus of our being in the best place to live in the country. The famous universities have had, in most cases, 100's of years to build a rep. Not that many years ago (or was it?) UNLV was tiny Southern Nevada University, and calling it a university was a stretch of the imagination. It actually has grown pretty fast, and is still growing. I wonder if Harvard grew that fast in the beginning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: