Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 PM

23 posts, read 42,768 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help me...
I have a 1 year old pup who has never been formally potty trained. Can anyone point me in the direction of some great affordable dog trainers in the Las Vegas area? My job is extremely demanding and its hard for me to find the time to train her and my son just doesnt know the first thing about potty training a dog. I would prefer someone that would be able to take her and train her and then return her home. I really dont want to give her up, I love her too darn much. Please...any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,091,048 times
Crate training and you have to make the time.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,977,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasNative View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1 year old pup who has never been formally potty trained. Can anyone point me in the direction of some great affordable dog trainers in the Las Vegas area? My job is extremely demanding and its hard for me to find the time to train her and my son just doesnt know the first thing about potty training a dog. I would prefer someone that would be able to take her and train her and then return her home. I really dont want to give her up, I love her too darn much. Please...any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!!
I would not ask a dog related question on any forum. You WILL get flamed, trust me. I am only saying this for you, not because I fan the flame on this subject, but it is seriously worse than going into the Politics or Religion forum.

Take heed, proceed at your own risk OR call your vet and ask for a recommendation! Good luck!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM

233 posts, read 499,698 times
I second the crate training. Did that and told her to go potty every time I let her out. I don't have any info on trainers though. Good luck to you.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,383,847 times
Potty training is typically not something that a trainer does, as it might take months, and I am sure you would not want to pay months worth of fees.

The cage is the most effective manner. You had better start now, as the dog is quite old to start potty training, and the longer it goes undone the harder it will be to train him/her.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:11 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,346,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasNative View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thank you!!!
Not to be a downer, but if you really don't have the time, then you likely won't be successful. Potty training isn's something that can be taught by someone taking the dog out and bringing it back trained. Its a bit more involved than teaching a dog to sit or roll over. It takes patience, routines, and TIME.

I hate to say it, but if a person has a job that is so demanding they don't even have enough time to devote to the basic needs of a dog, then maybe that person should probably have a cat instead.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:03 PM

901 posts, read 1,905,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Not to be a downer, but if you really don't have the time, then you likely won't be successful. Potty training isn's something that can be taught by someone taking the dog out and bringing it back trained. Its a bit more involved than teaching a dog to sit or roll over. It takes patience, routines, and TIME.

I hate to say it, but if a person has a job that is so demanding they don't even have enough time to devote to the basic needs of a dog, then maybe that person should probably have a cat instead.
I totally agree. Dogs are not like fine pieces of art where the owner can sit back and admire how nice it looks on a wall or a shelf. Dogs need love and attention -- and lots of it.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,116,401 times
I also go along with the others who suggested crate training. And LOTS of treats whenever the dog does his business outside. Crate training is a good thing anyway, your dog has a secure den. The crate needs to be just big enough that the dog can stand, turn around, and lay down comfortably. I always put a comforter on the bottom of the crate. Some dogs like the crate to be covered by a blanket, making the inside darker and more den-like.

My dogs like their crates and usually sleep there at night. The bed just isn't big enough. All I have to do is say, "Kennel Up!". The dogs run to their crates and wait for their bed time treat. Sometimes they sleep in their crates with the doors open during the day too. It's their place. It makes traveling with your dog easy too. And I know they are safe and out of trouble if I have company or hire someone to do some work at the house.

A crate will potty train your dog faster than anything else you can do. To get ready for training, you bring in the crate and start feeding the dog exclusively in the crate. He will very quickly figure out that he will get treats/food only when he goes in the crate.

You can't really outsource potty training. Your dog already knows the rules at your house, potty wherever. If you send the dog to be trained he will learn the rules at the trainer's house, potty outside. When he comes back home...

Last edited by yellowsnow; 05-15-2012 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: added

Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,346,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I also go along with the others who suggested crate training. And LOTS of treats whenever the dog does his business outside. Crate training is a good thing anyway, your dog has a secure den. The crate needs to be just big enough that the dog can stand, turn around, and lay down comfortably. I always put a comforter on the bottom of the crate. Some dogs like the crate to be covered by a blanket, making the inside darker and more den-like.

My dogs like their crates and usually sleep there at night. The bed just isn't big enough. All I have to do is say, "Kennel Up!". The dogs run to their crates and wait for their bed time treat. Sometimes they sleep in their crates with the doors open during the day too. It's their place. It makes traveling with your dog easy too. And I know they are safe and out of trouble if I have company or hire someone to do some work at the house.

A crate will potty train your dog faster than anything else you can do. To get ready for training, you bring in the crate and start feeding the dog exclusively in the crate. He will very quickly figure out that he will get treats/food only when he goes in the crate.

You can't really outsource potty training. Your dog already knows the rules at your house, potty wherever. If you send the dog to be trained he will learn the rules at the trainer's house, potty outside. When he comes back home...
When I got my dog Diablo 4 years ago, he was my first ever dog (I always had cats). I had NO IDEA how to deal with potty issues. It took TIME for me to get to know how he preferred to do his business and to get him to adapt to my routine. Time really is the key. I also tied him to me with a leash in the house at first so he couldn't sneak away to potty.

When he did potty outside, I had a "potty party" meaning right then and there I would very excited praise him for doing it outside and treat him. Now I take my dogs out and very routine times every day and other than a very occasional accident (like when I was in Vegas and they wouldn't go outside for the person caring for them) they do very well. They will come tell me they need to go out (Diablo even has a specific bark when he has to poop LOL)

As for crates, Diablo has one but my other dog Lupe does not. D LOVES his kennel and can open the door with his paw whenever he feels like going in there. They sleep in my bed, though.

If a trainer is still what the OP wants, I would start at pet stores. Petsmart, for example, has lots of dog classes, and I am sure local pet shops would also offer similar classes or might have a board that has ads for local people who do.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:53 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,444,942 times
Do as many my neighbor does -- keep the dog outside in the backyard during the day while you are at work. Let the dog poops and barks all he wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas