Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:20 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,321,072 times

Advertisements

So, I am considering a move to Las Vegas early next year. After a couple of visits, I think it is a good possiblilty. It felt right as I was driving around town, (and because I drive fast, traffic was just fine for me!).

I am slowly telling people of my plans and I am finding I get the same reaction from all of them...that my life will become one big party.

A recent example: last weekend on my birthday I saw an acquaintence who had a birthday a couple of days before. I saw her at a bar where she was celebrating her birthday for the 3rd or 4th night in a row. Anyway, she said "I want to celebrate my birthday with you every year!" and I explained that I wasn't going to be living here next year, that I plan to move. She asked where and I said "I am thinking about Las Vegas."

Her eyes got wide and she yelled "WOOOO! I am gonna come celebrate with YOU! Wow, you are going to be partying ALL the time!!!'

(by the way, this woman just turned 49 and was acting completely ridiculous! I really don't think I WANT her to come celebrate with me LOL)

I just walked away thinking "No, I'll be working, grocery shopping, going to the library, playing with my dogs, and watching TV just like I do here." Sure some "partying" will take place, but not IN place of my normal life.

So those that live in Vegas or those that have told family and friends you are moving there, do you get the same reaction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:36 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,326,532 times
I do, but I like it

But my background might be a little different. I lived in the PNW my whole life and 2.5 years ago my Wife and I moved to North Carolina. We almost immediately regretted it, and I felt stupid since she wanted to move to Las Vegas and I talked her out of it. But we have spent the past couple years recovering from the cost of moving across the country AND saving up for another move to Vegas.

The entire time we've been out here we have seen our family one time, Christmas 2010. No one comes out and visits us out here, and really I don't blame them. Sure it would be great for everyone to get together and maybe we could take a weekend to head to Myrtle Beach, but aside from that there is nothing to do but for us all to sit around and watch TV. Now, when I tell friends and family that we are moving to Las Vegas, we already have people "booking" time in our guest room (at the house we don't even have yet, lol)

So that is my experience with people wanting to come and stay with us and visit us. As far as people thinking that we'll just be partying all the time, I think I've heard a little bit of that. My reaction is pretty similar to yours. Now, we do plan on taking full advantage of ALL that Vegas offers that other areas don't(like the strip and downtown area), but we are not moving there with the idea that this is going to be a lifelong vacation, we are excited about all of the "extras" but realize we'll be moving to a real city and living a real life.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:42 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,321,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
I do, but I like it

But my background might be a little different. I lived in the PNW my whole life and 2.5 years ago my Wife and I moved to North Carolina. We almost immediately regretted it, and I felt stupid since she wanted to move to Las Vegas and I talked her out of it. But we have spent the past couple years recovering from the cost of moving across the country AND saving up for another move to Vegas.

The entire time we've been out here we have seen our family one time, Christmas 2010. No one comes out and visits us out here, and really I don't blame them. Sure it would be great for everyone to get together and maybe we could take a weekend to head to Myrtle Beach, but aside from that there is nothing to do but for us all to sit around and watch TV. Now, when I tell friends and family that we are moving to Las Vegas, we already have people "booking" time in our guest room (at the house we don't even have yet, lol)

So that is my experience with people wanting to come and stay with us and visit us. As far as people thinking that we'll just be partying all the time, I think I've heard a little bit of that. My reaction is pretty similar to yours. Now, we do plan on taking full advantage of ALL that Vegas offers that other areas don't(like the strip and downtown area), but we are not moving there with the idea that this is going to be a lifelong vacation, we are excited about all of the "extras" but realize we'll be moving to a real city and living a real life.
I am fine with people wanting to visit me, don't get me wrong. I plan to actually have a guest room for the first time in my life once I move. It's the "WOO!! VEGAS!" stupidity I don't get. Does she think I am going to move and spend my days running around flashing people for beads, drinking this 4 foot long margaritas, and puking in bushes?

I like to go out and drink and watch a band or whatever, but I am grown up and will be working a grown up job, not spending my days on a stripper pole acting like it's my first day ever having a drink! (as she was doing celebrating day 3 of her birthday which led to events that ruined me even celebrating day one of mine, but that's another story)

My main reason for wanting to move in the first place is the weather, not the nightlife or gambling.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:49 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,650,756 times

Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,487,349 times
Love it Jonathan!!!

Elle Tea, long ago when I first moved here, telling the relatives that I was moving to Las Vegas (a much smaller place back then) they used to ask me where do people live and how much does it cost you to live in the hotels, lol

Last edited by MomMom; 05-11-2012 at 10:32 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 AM

420 posts, read 899,669 times
[ Now, when I tell friends and family that we are moving to Las Vegas, we already have people "booking" time in our guest room (at the house we don't even have yet, lol)

Get ready for those guests!!!! Our guest rooms are booked through the middle of July even though I tell people how hot it's going to be!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:36 AM

901 posts, read 1,902,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
Get ready for those guests!!!! Our guest rooms are booked through the middle of July even though I tell people how hot it's going to be!
We have had more friends and relatives visit us since we moved here than any other place we have lived. They just keep coming and coming. It's nice, but we also have learned to appreciate our down time, where we live our normal lives.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,286,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
So, I am considering a move to Las Vegas early next year. After a couple of visits, I think it is a good possiblilty. It felt right as I was driving around town, (and because I drive fast, traffic was just fine for me!).

I am slowly telling people of my plans and I am finding I get the same reaction from all of them...that my life will become one big party.

A recent example: last weekend on my birthday I saw an acquaintence who had a birthday a couple of days before. I saw her at a bar where she was celebrating her birthday for the 3rd or 4th night in a row. Anyway, she said "I want to celebrate my birthday with you every year!" and I explained that I wasn't going to be living here next year, that I plan to move. She asked where and I said "I am thinking about Las Vegas."

Her eyes got wide and she yelled "WOOOO! I am gonna come celebrate with YOU! Wow, you are going to be partying ALL the time!!!'

(by the way, this woman just turned 49 and was acting completely ridiculous! I really don't think I WANT her to come celebrate with me LOL)

I just walked away thinking "No, I'll be working, grocery shopping, going to the library, playing with my dogs, and watching TV just like I do here." Sure some "partying" will take place, but not IN place of my normal life.

So those that live in Vegas or those that have told family and friends you are moving there, do you get the same reaction?
When I moved here in 2006, I did not work and lived right off the strip. I partied on the strip nearly every day. After I started working, I partied on Friday nights only. Now, I party 4 or 5 times a year.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,650,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
When I moved here in 2006, I did not work and lived right off the strip. I partied on the strip nearly every day. After I started working, I partied on Friday nights only. Now, I party 4 or 5 times a year.

And we got to witness ONE OF THEM!

Jonathan

Old 05-11-2012, 10:55 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,286,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
And we got to witness ONE OF THEM!

Jonathan
I am still recuperating from that. The next time I will most likely go out will be in July when my friends from Phoenix come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: