Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,289,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Why? Are you that afraid of the people we pay to protect us?

Seriously, I'm the only one in this thread that actually got the letter OP showed and it turned out fine. Everyone else provided paranoid conjecture and opinions. I'll bet anything that with the next police involved shooting I will see many of the same names here admonishing any cop-bashers. Either you trust them or you don't.

I will say it like this, since changing someone else's quote is not allowed here.

Why, are you that afraid of the people we pay to enslave us?

No, I do not. I would not go to this.

Last edited by las vegas drunk; 05-10-2012 at 08:02 PM..

Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM

8,422 posts, read 4,595,793 times
For the record, I'm a cop-basher. But this isn't a cop thing. It's an administrative thing. They are legally required to notify you of any property they have that belongs to you. I suppose OP could wait a year or two and check the Nevada State Treasurer unclaimed property site. But then everyone would tell him/her that THAT was a setup too.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:10 PM

266 posts, read 605,769 times
OK...I am really trying not to be paranoid here. I am definately not a criminal, and I thought owing money wasn't a crime...but then I see this: Jailed for $280: The return of debtors' prisons - CBS News Maybe the attorney really is a collection agency, and I do have a few issues with Paypal (long story short, I was scammed on ebay, Paypal sided with buyer, I told them to pound salt and they wouldn't get a dime from me, so now I'm being hounded by collection agencies...) LVD, you are making me worry now.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,729,038 times
Friend of mine had a gun stolen from his house. Filed a police report and left it. Got a phone call a year or so later from a DC cop saying they confiscated it from a guy in a bar and wanted to know he wanted it back. He wound up not doing iI because of all the BS to get it back from DC, but ill wager this sort of thing happens fairly often. Amazes me how many people are batsh*t paranoid though!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-10-2012, 10:32 PM

And about cops, I know a few and dated one back in LA many years ago. I know for a fact how corrupt they can be. The one I went out with made GHB and would take it on a regular basis. He would always want me to take some before we went out, and I agreed one time, took too much and literally passed out in my lobby on the way out the door. He had to carry me to the car. One of my neighbors saw and he told them I had food poisoning. And another cop I knew told me he arranged to have his car stolen and set on fire to get the insurance. He just said, "I'm a cop, they believed me". I can go on with the horror stories. So I really don't respect the lot of them in general. But I am sure there are a few decent cops out there, I just haven't met any. I try to avoid them now

Old 05-11-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpa2d2 View Post
LVD, you are making me worry now.
I am not trying to make you worry, but I cannot egg you on to go with a clear conscience like the others. This is what bothers me...

1. You have never been arrested. Sometimes the jail personal lose an item of yours and it can turn up years later. Obviously not the case with you.

2. You have not been the victim of a crime in where one of your items was held as evidence. This happened to me. Back in 1998, I was beaten and robbed. I called the police, and they arrested the suspect. It was only $15, but they would not give it back to me. Approximately 10 years later, they sent a letter to my friend's house (I had changed my AZ driver's license address to his when I moved to Vegas), and it said I had a property claim from 1998. I called the Phoenix police, and they told me exactly what it was and how to claim it. I never did because going to Phoenix for $15 does not make sense. This brings me to #3.

3. The Las Vegas police are not letting you know what you got. The city is broke and they are doing sneaky things to get money.

I would feel bad if it does turn out to be some sort of police scam just to get you in there, but I definitely could be wrong. It is a decision only you are going to have to make, but whatever you do avoid listening to people who are telling you to go on here just because they have their own curiosity perked up. That is not right.

Edit: I have reread the thread and I am wrong on point 3. The police have let you know it is a truck title. I would just forget about it and not go, especially since you found that you still have the truck title safely locked up in your vault. Something is definitely fishy.

Last edited by las vegas drunk; 05-11-2012 at 12:17 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
And about cops, I know a few and dated one back in LA many years ago. I know for a fact how corrupt they can be. The one I went out with made GHB and would take it on a regular basis. He would always want me to take some before we went out, and I agreed one time, took too much and literally passed out in my lobby on the way out the door. He had to carry me to the car. One of my neighbors saw and he told them I had food poisoning. And another cop I knew told me he arranged to have his car stolen and set on fire to get the insurance. He just said, "I'm a cop, they believed me". I can go on with the horror stories. So I really don't respect the lot of them in general. But I am sure there are a few decent cops out there, I just haven't met any. I try to avoid them now
Cops are definitely corrupt. I love how they go out and drink and drive, get pulled over by their buddies and get let off. But they had no problem lecturing me how wrong I was for doing it back in 2006 as they were arresting me. I told them to stop as I pointed out the only difference between them and I was that I am not in "the club."

Old 05-11-2012, 06:36 AM

420 posts, read 899,817 times
Could it be that the vehicle that you sold was never re-registered and that the person that you sold it to had an accident which caused personal injuries and that's why the attorney is calling? The police might have impounded the vehicle. As long as you have a copy of the bill of sale all should be straighted out.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
Could it be that the vehicle that you sold was never re-registered and that the person that you sold it to had an accident which caused personal injuries and that's why the attorney is calling? The police might have impounded the vehicle. As long as you have a copy of the bill of sale all should be straighted out.
That completely makes sense...but I am sure I threw the bill of sale away. It was about 14 years ago.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,024,989 times
Quote:
That completely makes sense...but I am sure I threw the bill of sale away. It was about 14 years ago.
Then you need to straighten this out, FAST. If that's the case, the plaintiff can and will sue an empty chair. They'll get whatever they ask for. And then you'll have to fight to get the judgement reversed.

THIS EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME. Except it was an "accident" where the plaintiff couldn't even provide an accident report. The plaintiff was a professional litigator -- 12 suits going on at the same time. It cost us five figures in attorney's fees to fix it.

If you call the attorney who has been pestering you and there's some kind of suit being brought against you, ask for their information (firm name, address, telephone), thank them, and HANG UP. Then go retain a liability attorney and have THEM call. I made the mistake of talking to the plaintiff's attorney for 15 minutes, thinking a phone call could straighten the whole thing out. All it did was give them information they could use against me. (For instance, don't tell them you threw away the bill of sale. Now they know there isn't a bill of sale, and they'll make up a scenario where you could be liable for whatever happened.)

Again, this is ONLY if the scenario is what Mollie described. Could be something else entirely. But that's a very plausible theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: