Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:47 PM

135 posts, read 270,305 times

Advertisements

If you quit a job (not fired, not laid off), how long does your employer have to send your final check in NV? If you have requested it to be mailed to you and they refuse and say you have to pick it up in person, are they allowed to do that?

Thanks (I did a search on this forum and didn't see this specific question answered).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:08 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
yes they are.....to ensure that yo actually got it....I just picked mine up yesterday

Old 05-02-2012, 04:09 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmom View Post
If you quit a job (not fired, not laid off), how long does your employer have to send your final check in NV? If you have requested it to be mailed to you and they refuse and say you have to pick it up in person, are they allowed to do that?

Thanks (I did a search on this forum and didn't see this specific question answered).
As far as I know (since you quit), they have to give you your last check on the day it is normally scheduled. That is what happened when I was laid off. As far as having to pick it up, I do not know. I would just pick it up if that is what they want.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
The first paragraph of this link could be helpful-- . What are the rules on final paychecks in Nevada? | Nevada Wage and Hour Legal Resources

And here's the statute. It just talks about "issuing" the check http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-6...l#NRS608Sec030

I suspect if they issue it, and it's therefore available to pick up, they've satisfied the statute. I can understand an employer wanting to have it picked up and sign for to prove receipt and avoid the hassle of someone filing a complaint for noncompliance.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
yes they are.....to ensure that yo actually got it....I just picked mine up yesterday
You quit your job, Dyn?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The first paragraph of this link could be helpful-- . What are the rules on final paychecks in Nevada? | Nevada Wage and Hour Legal Resources

And here's the statute. It just talks about "issuing" the check NRS: CHAPTER 608 - COMPENSATION, WAGES AND HOURS

I suspect if they issue it, and it's therefore available to pick up, they've satisfied the statute. I can understand an employer wanting to have it picked up and sign for to prove receipt and avoid the hassle of someone filing a complaint for noncompliance.
Thanks, observer. The problems occur when an employer delays paying you beyond the statutory limit. Then you can file a complaint with the Labor Commission. But it sounds like the employer is doing things legally ..and fairly.

The OP should just go get it, but I can understand not wanting to confront an employer if you quit under less than friendly circumstances.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You quit your job, Dyn?
He retired. Lucky SOB.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
He retired. Lucky SOB.
He's too young to retire. I think he's only 10 or 20 years older than me.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
The OP should just go get it, but I can understand not wanting to confront an employer if you quit under less than friendly circumstances.
I understand that, too, for sure... usually they try to keep it very low key, leave the check with the receptionist or someone not involved in the employee's departure, to keep things calmed down. Sometimes, with a termination, they have the check already cut, with no return visit necessary. But with a quit, like we have here, picking it up is usually not problematic in that way.

Arizona's statute is similar, three business days or the next regular pay day, whichever is earlier, and treble damages for willfully withholding the check. (or any paycheck).

Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
You quit your job, Dyn?
I retired.....first time in my LIFE....since 1953 that I am neither working NOR going to school full time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas