Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 02:44 AM

104 posts, read 1,075,243 times

Advertisements

The ABC7 News I-Team investigates "meat glue" | abc7news.com

Waiting to hear from ScoopLV if he has seen any LV restaurants using this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 03:36 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,075,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBeta View Post

No, I haven't seen any restaurants using it. And I'd be very surprised if any were trying to fob off chuck as filet using transglutaminase.

I've used this stuff in culinary school, though. Usually, it's used in the fine dining world to bond different fish filets or different cuts of meat for incredibly specific applications. Take a piece of salmon, and glue it between two filets of whitefish. Then sear it off. Now you have perfectly-rare salmon between two pieces of grouper for a "Neopolitan filet."

This is part of the style of cooking known as "modernist cuisine." It's already the big thing in food -- making caviar out of apple juice and cooking food in immersion circulators, for instance. The use of foams, vacuum sealers and even centrifuges is common here. Google "Ferran Adria" if you'd like to learn more about the pinnacle of this food style.

I wouldn't worry much about the use of transglutaminase. The transglutaminase powder itself is very expensive. It's cheaper to buy the good meat rather than make ersatz steaks using transglutaminase.

Read this if you'd like more info on the stuff: Pajo's Boutique Catering: Transglutaminase, Applying a bit of Science for Technique

Old 04-29-2012, 04:18 AM

104 posts, read 1,075,243 times
Thanks, ScoopLV, that's good to know

Old 04-29-2012, 04:29 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,228,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No, I haven't seen any restaurants using it. And I'd be very surprised if any were trying to fob off chuck as filet using transglutaminase.

I've used this stuff in culinary school, though. Usually, it's used in the fine dining world to bond different fish filets or different cuts of meat for incredibly specific applications. Take a piece of salmon, and glue it between two filets of whitefish. Then sear it off. Now you have perfectly-rare salmon between two pieces of grouper for a "Neopolitan filet."

This is part of the style of cooking known as "modernist cuisine." It's already the big thing in food -- making caviar out of apple juice and cooking food in immersion circulators, for instance. The use of foams, vacuum sealers and even centrifuges is common here. Google "Ferran Adria" if you'd like to learn more about the pinnacle of this food style.

I wouldn't worry much about the use of transglutaminase. The transglutaminase powder itself is very expensive. It's cheaper to buy the good meat rather than make ersatz steaks using transglutaminase.

Read this if you'd like more info on the stuff: Pajo's Boutique Catering: Transglutaminase, Applying a bit of Science for Technique
We learn something new everyday no matter how old we are. Thanks for the lesson on what this all means. It is good to know.

Nita

Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 AM

700 posts, read 1,335,632 times
Also look up Heston Blumenthal for the British version of Adrian. I believe this is what they use to make krab sticks, could be wrong. However, I saw a investigative piece on this from Australia several years ago and its now either banned from use or it has to be declared. It is also very poisonous in certain amounts. I usually stay away from filet steak anyway in public. Its not actually that good. I would rather have a bone-in ribeye or t-bone. With the bone, they cant do too much adulteration.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,872,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBeta View Post

Can soylent green be far behind?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 AM

16,414 posts, read 30,451,481 times
Here is a picture:

http://www.localharvest.org/images/c...d_6703_427.jpg

Old 04-29-2012, 05:36 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,228,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Why am I thinking we are just getting too much information these days? I think I want to go back to the days of what you don't know won't hurt you.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:17 PM

16,414 posts, read 30,451,481 times
^^^ Yo me it is absolutely incredible what is readily accessed through a GOOGLE search.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,970,784 times
I just had a Homer Simpson moment:

"Mmmm... meat glue..." (drool)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas