Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,460 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Vegas in two months. I looked into Our Lady of Las Vegas for elemenatry school for my boys. Does anybody know about this school? Suggest another one?
I tried the public schools but they said any public school in Nevada can't afford tours. So how can I trust in a school to send my boys if I can't see how it looks inside?
I tried the private schools, I loved them, but too expensive.
OLLV is very religious but I tought to start until I get to know the other schools better. Please help me????

Last edited by valribeiro; 04-26-2012 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: mistakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,426,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valribeiro View Post
I am moving to Vegas in two months. I looked into Our Lady of Las Vegas for elementary school for my boys. Does anybody know about this school? Suggest another one?
I tried the public schools but they said any public school in Nevada can't afford tours. So how can I trust in a school to send my boys if I can't see how it looks inside?
I tried the private schools, I loved them, but too expensive.
OLLV is very religious but I thought to start until I get to know the other schools better. Please help me????
What are you looking for in the school? Facilities or what the students look like? Nothing wrong with any of the buildings. But if you decide to live in a nice neighborhood, then the other kids will be as nice as yours are. There is nothing wrong with education in Las Vegas that sending all the illegal aliens back to their own countries wouldn't cure, or at least teach them to primarily use English, and teach the parents that are uneducated the value of education for their kids. Then there is the "problem", if that's what it is, of our local kids knowing that in the blue collar world of the hospitality industry, they can make six figures without a high school diploma.

Twenty years ago our Hispanic population was about 8%, and was mostly Las Vegas natives who had never spoken Spanish or been to a Spanish speaking country in their lives. I also know many well educated, smarter than I am, Hispanic people from other countries. But now we have a 29% Hispanic population, and the majority speak Spanish as their first language. Hard to educate people that can't understand you. You can't sing the tune if you don't know the words. Ad to that the Asian population that I think is about 12%.

I do know people at Our Lady of Las Vegas, and it's in a great neighborhood which is surrounded by poorer neighborhoods; but it's a good school. Interestingly, but probably doesn't affect the school, it's within a block or two of some the richest, most powerful, people in town. Ted Binion of Binion's Horseshoe, was murdered (or killed himself, depending on which defendant you believe) nearby, and I think that was the church or school where a priest fell in love with a secretary, and went to jail for whacking her over the head or something like that. Never a dull moment.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:13 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,556,382 times
I always thought our Lady of Las Vegas was....Lady Luck!!!???

Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,847,558 times
Our Lady of Las Vegas is an excellent school as is Mother Elizabeth Seaton. Easily will serve well for elementary education.

Both have a touch of Las Vegas...but they survive that. And it is fun to gossip about at Church meetings.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Our Lady of Las Vegas is an excellent school as is Mother Elizabeth Seton. Easily will serve well for elementary education.

Both have a touch of Las Vegas...but they survive that. And it is fun to gossip about at Church meetings.
One had a priest that beat up a woman he was infatuated with, and the other had a priest that embezzled hundreds of thousands of dollars ..but I agree, the schools have a good rep.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I always thought our Lady of Las Vegas was....Lady Luck!!!???
No, that's Our Lady of The Perpetual Slot Machine.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,036,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Ad to that the Asian population that I think is about 12%.
Are you suggesting the Asian kids are holding the others back academically? That would be a surprise to all the tiger moms and dads who already have their childrens' success vector charting through Princeton or Rensselaer.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:36 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,556,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Are you suggesting the Asian kids are holding the others back academically? That would be a surprise to all the tiger moms and dads who already have their childrens' success vector charting through Princeton or Rensselaer.
Tried to rep you on the spelling, but have to spread. Commonly misspelled. I work in the RPI Tech Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: