Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 AM

136 posts, read 278,334 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a dealership or a person they can recommend who will treat you right? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:18 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,509,572 times
CarMax. Don't go anywhere else for a used car. We bought a 2002 Honda there, and it was the pleasantest car buying experience we've ever had.

They don't up-sale you. It's basically, here's the car you want, here's the price, have a nice day. If they don't have it on the lot, they, or you, can look up on line the car you like, and if they have one in another city, they'll deliver it here to you. You pay the cost of getting it here, and if you buy it they deduct that cost from what you pay. But make sure you want it before you pay to have it sent here or you'll lose the cost of delivery.

All the cars we looked at were nice, clean, well taken care of, vehicles.

You don't even have to go to the lot until you find what you're interested in on line. CarMax - Browse used cars and new cars online

Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 AM

If you're looking for a Honda, Wally at Wally's Honda (mechanic seen on Pawn Stars) sometimes can find you one, and if he maintained it, or at least checked it out, you know it's a good car.

All car dealers are crooks that would rather cheat you when it would be easier to just be honest. I worked for one as a salesman, and know what I was taught. I also used to produce TV commercials for nearly every dealer in Las Vegas, and even being friends with them they'd cheat me too.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 AM

2,723 posts, read 4,787,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
If you're looking for a Honda, Wally at Wally's Honda (mechanic seen on Pawn Stars) sometimes can find you one, and if he maintained it, or at least checked it out, you know it's a good car.

All car dealers are crooks that would rather cheat you when it would be easier to just be honest. I worked for one as a salesman, and know what I was taught. I also used to produce TV commercials for nearly every dealer in Las Vegas, and even being friends with them they'd cheat me too.
Had a good friend who was a cars salesman who once told me that he loved it when family members came to see him asking for a good deal. He loved it because they already trusted him which allowed him to screw them worse then the average joe who walked in off the street.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:59 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,370,685 times
I agree with Buzz. I have both bought from, and sold to, CarMax. My mechanic (independent) also said that their extended warranties are "gold", while he has had problems with a lot of other warranty companies.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Had a good friend who was a cars salesman who once told me that he loved it when family members came to see him asking for a good deal. He loved it because they already trusted him which allowed him to screw them worse then the average joe who walked in off the street.
There ya go. It's a game to them. They'll pass up a clean sale if they can't ********* on it. I guess they have to feel like they've won. But they've lost their self-respect in the process.

I've also interviewed several "service" advisors. If they don't sell you repairs you don't need, they'll get fired. That's why I keep putting off taking my Honda in for some recall stuff. Wally can't do warranties, and he apologized saying we have to go to a dealer, but we need to beware of them trying to sell us something we don't need.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,315,792 times
Get an Avalon, large car with 30 MPG on the freeway and being made with non-GM union labor, they car is made well.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,267,737 times
Wife took her Sonata to PepBoys [we've gone there for 18 years]....new guy worked on it.....came out with this BIGGGGG LONGGGGG listochit that needed to be done....she said....ok....LATER and left....took it in yesterday...talked to the REGULAR service writer....he looked at the car....and the records....and said...#1.....WE ALREADY did all that stuff. #2 ....... That's why the other guy is gone.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 PM

395 posts, read 1,086,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I agree with Buzz. I have both bought from, and sold to, CarMax. My mechanic (independent) also said that their extended warranties are "gold", while he has had problems with a lot of other warranty companies.
Disagree with CarMax. If you want to severely overpay for a car go to CarMax. This are consistantly 10% higher than dealer compeditors.

The best and cheapest way to go would be to buy private party from someone with all the service records. This would preferably be one owner but doesn't have to be. Get the car checked out by your mechanic prior to purchase.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,705,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekwars2000 View Post
Disagree with CarMax. If you want to severely overpay for a car go to CarMax. This are consistantly 10% higher than dealer compeditors.

The best and cheapest way to go would be to buy private party from someone with all the service records. This would preferably be one owner but doesn't have to be. Get the car checked out by your mechanic prior to purchase.
I agree about Car Max.

I purchased my car used from a private party. I did my homework, purchased from a retired teacher. If you purchase from a dealer, you will have to pay sales tax and that will add 8% to the price. Dealers will always charge you more for the purchase.

Put some money aside for a mechanic to look over your purchase. If you need to finance it, go to the bank/credit union and arrange that ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas