Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 PM

135 posts, read 438,300 times

Advertisements

We did the Hoover Dam tour about 20yrs ago and remember being "at the bottom" looking up the sides of what I believe were the spillways. We were totally awed. Our 13yr old grand-daughter is coming out to visit and we plan on doing the tour with her.
After checking the Dam's website, my question is: If we take the 30min tour - the powerplant one does this include the view of the sides of the spillway from below? - Naturally we want her to see more than just that, but this sight was so impressive...

Thanks
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 06:15 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPC2 View Post
We did the Hoover Dam tour about 20yrs ago and remember being "at the bottom" looking up the sides of what I believe were the spillways. We were totally awed. Our 13yr old grand-daughter is coming out to visit and we plan on doing the tour with her.
After checking the Dam's website, my question is: If we take the 30min tour - the powerplant one does this include the view of the sides of the spillway from below? - Naturally we want her to see more than just that, but this sight was so impressive...

Thanks
Pam
30 minutes isn't very long for that tour, but if it includes the power plant, it would include passing through the tunnel I'd think, so I'd have to also assume it includes walking out the door to look up from the base of the dam. It always used to, but things change, so call those dam people out there in BC. They don't bite.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM

13 posts, read 35,485 times
I did the Hoover Dam tour a couple of years ago, and there was no external portion of the tour looking up at the spillway.

Check out the following link of what's included in the current tour.

Bureau of Reclamation: Lower Colorado Region - Hoover Dam: Dam Tour

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/ser...plantTour.html

Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 PM

74 posts, read 147,932 times
I think you forgot the burning bus from yesterday? :-)

Old 03-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholtz View Post
I did the Hoover Dam tour a couple of years ago, and there was no external portion of the tour looking up at the spillway.

Check out the following link of what's included in the current tour.

Bureau of Reclamation: Lower Colorado Region - Hoover Dam: Dam Tour

Bureau of Reclamation: Lower Colorado Region - Hoover Dam: Powerplant Tour
Thanks for the responses and thanks for the links Scholtz - I had looked at both of them and that's what made me ask the question - we're going to go anyway it's a matter of deciding which tour to take and time it so we can get in a 90min cruise of Lake Mead also.
Guess I'll call them - I know they don't bite Buzz - I just hate making phone calls for some reason.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV2LAS View Post
I think you forgot the burning bus from yesterday? :-)

I thought the same thing!

I'm just glad they all got out of the damn dam bus before it went up in flames.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Several years ago, I took what they called the "hard hat" tour. The took you into areas that required wearing a hard hat, and they gave you one you could keep as a s[SIZE=3]ouvenir[/SIZE]. It was really very comprehensvie. To the OPs point, they did take you down to the powerhouse and outside at the bottom, looking up.

But AFAIK, they don't offer it any more for security reasons.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Several years ago, I took what they called the "hard hat" tour. The took you into areas that required wearing a hard hat, and they gave you one you could keep as a s[SIZE=3]ouvenir[/SIZE]. It was really very comprehensvie. To the OPs point, they did take you down to the powerhouse and outside at the bottom, looking up.

But AFAIK, they don't offer it any more for security reasons.
Rats... This is the one I was hoping for - oh well, I'm sure our Granddaughter will be impressed anyway.
Thanks BBMW.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:01 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I've taken the tour since (I took my GF to Vegas), It's still worthwhile, but not what it was (the tour, them dam still is what it was)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas