Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvettehazel View Post
ok wow alot of info. thank you so much. we have been thru this the last 4 yrs but this is the first that they wanted to move her from her school. one of her teachers made the mistake of saying to me a couple of wks ago that this school is very acedemic driven and "she is just not there" i know she isnt but she deserves to be able to continue to grow in her studies as well as emotionally with her peers. i said i would consider putting her in a contained class if i could go and observe the classroom and they said they couldnt because of hippa. i dont want the kids info i just want to see how the classroom runs. they said its our choice, but that is there where they think she should go.

i so appreciate all your info, i hate ccsd schools anyways as i have 4 other kids without special needs and i just think our system is so very lacking on every level.
a couple of you said to dm you what does that mean lol, im new to this forum so not quite sure what that is.
again i appreciate every one of youl
My wife is over my shoulder. She says they're putting her out because of her low test scores. It is just this one reason -- test scores. Her test scores are below 300 CRT mark. Because schools are judged on these test scores, they want these students out. Nobody will ever admit it. Is it ethical? No. But that's how they do things.

That hippa thing is BS, she says. Parents are supposed to be welcome to observe the classroom. She says something fishy is going on. And she doesn't like the situation you describe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvettehazel View Post
a couple of you said to dm you what does that mean lol, im new to this forum so not quite sure what that is.
again i appreciate every one of youl
Click on the user name of the person you want to send a PM (private message). Click send direct message. You can then type what ever you want and none of the other forum members will see it.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 13,556 times
I know it's been a year and a half since this discussion was going on so it's possible that you've found something great (I hope so!) But in case you or anyone else who reads this thread is still looking, I want to share what I found when I was in your position.

I had a very similar experience to yours in the public school with my son. My mother who is a public school teacher kept telling me that he would never be well served in public school. I didn't want to believe her because I didn't think I could afford private school, but finally she convinced me and I went looking. You can read the whole story here Our Story but the short version is that I found a fabulous school where my son has been thriving for 2 years. And when the school closed for financial reasons, I opened a new school and hired the teachers from that school to come administer and teach there. We will officially open our doors on Friday, August 16th, 2013 with an open house/ice cream social from 5:00-7:00. Please come check us out and eat all the ice cream you can stand!!!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 PM

I know this is and old post, but I wanted to share what I found when I was in a similar situation and what I have done since. My full story is here Our Story But the short version is that I found a fantastic school where my son has been thriving for 2 years. They are so patient with him and have allowed him to work on his level while still encouraging him to progress, which he has done more than I ever thought possible. When the school was struggling financially and couldn't keep their doors open, I was fortunate enough to be in a position to open a new school in a new location with the same teachers. We open next week as West Charleston Enrichment Academy. We love to have visitors, so come by and we'll give you a tour (and a scoop of ice cream!)

Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 PM

Woops! I didn't mean to over post-I didn't realize my first message had posted

Old 08-23-2013, 01:54 AM

8 posts, read 12,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlfam View Post
I know this is and old post, but I wanted to share what I found when I was in a similar situation and what I have done since. My full story is here Our Story But the short version is that I found a fantastic school where my son has been thriving for 2 years. They are so patient with him and have allowed him to work on his level while still encouraging him to progress, which he has done more than I ever thought possible. When the school was struggling financially and couldn't keep their doors open, I was fortunate enough to be in a position to open a new school in a new location with the same teachers. We open next week as West Charleston Enrichment Academy. We love to have visitors, so come by and we'll give you a tour (and a scoop of ice cream!)
Fascinating story. How was your ice cream social? I was out of town.
The story of your school is quite interesting.
Are the teachers trained specifically to handle autism or other special education?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 AM

Check out wcenrichmentacademy.com. They are very experienced with special needs kids and they give need based scholarships. It's a Christian school with a mission to bless families who are frustrated with public school.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:45 AM

I'm sorry Pickyeater I didn't see your post until right now. I haven't used this forum very much so I didn't know what to expect as far as notification.

My teachers do have experience and training in ABA and implement elements of that training into their education plan for each child. Fortunately they also have 25+ years of experience working with kids that have all levels and types of special needs. Because the diagnosis criteria for Autism has become increasingly broad many of the kids who once would have been diagnosed with turrets syndrome or ADHD or FG syndrome or a myriad of other syndromes are now being labeled as having Autism. These are the kids my teachers have been helping for years when no one else knew what to do with them.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,793 times
we live in NY and my grandson had a terrible beginning in Kindergarten, we were in the Union-Endicott school district and it was HORRENDOUS for him, they are ill equipped to handle CHILDREN PERIOD... They expect a child to be voiceless and expressionless and if they aren't their remedy is to MEDICATE...The entire school year I had to pick him up at 11am because I refused to Medicate Autism...HFA of all things...and they had NO TIME to attempt to deal with him... He was placed in an 8-1-1 after his IEP for the 1st grade, we moved out of that School district "THANK GOD" and are now SO HAPPY with his JC School... He actually asks to go to school on the weekends....Last year he cried every morning, begging me not to send him...it was so sad... and it left terrible scars on him emotionally... But there are Good Schools in NY for children with disabilities, and he is Flourishing....It might take some time but You can find a Good PUBLIC school if you are willing to look around, ask questions, and talk with others that have walked the road you are walking.... Don't listen to the people telling you, there are no GOOD PUBLIC SCHOOLS for children with disabilities, it's NOT TRUE... We are considering moving to Nevada in the near future which is how I found your forum....

Old 01-15-2015, 06:45 PM

8 posts, read 10,723 times
I'm a teacher who just left a CCSD school because of how AWFUL it was. I'd never send my kids (if I had any) to the place where I taught, which was part of the reason I felt I needed out. I was in a classroom with 32 kids and several children with IEPs. I don't know what the answer is, apart from finding a school with better funding. I am fairly sure that you can not agree with an IEP and call for another meeting to say what you do want. When you sign an IEP, it will say at the end something like "push in services", "self-contained classroom", "general ed. classroom" with recommended or not recommended next to each one (I'm sure your familiar with that!). As far as I know, that's just a recommendation - the parent is able to say they do not agree with the recommendations and they do not consent to decision. As a general education teacher, though, it was very frustrating to have those kids who were several grades below grade level and to know that I was not able to give them as much attention as they deserved. CCSD should have more instructional assistants to provide push-in services into classrooms, but they don't, so the kids who aren't in self-contained classrooms receive very little support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: