Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:04 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,325,362 times

Advertisements

This thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...f-any-has.html about cars being stolen, made me wonder about this?

When I move to Vegas I'll have my wife and 2 pets with me. We're going to be starting a family after we get settled in, so security is a big deal to me. From what I have read it seems like many of the home invasions are burglaries with no attempt at homicide, however I'm still concerned about it when I am not around. Or even for when we are not around and the pets are home alone. Has anyone here had their homes broken into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,258,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
This thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...f-any-has.html about cars being stolen, made me wonder about this?

When I move to Vegas I'll have my wife and 2 pets with me. We're going to be starting a family after we get settled in, so security is a big deal to me. From what I have read it seems like many of the home invasions are burglaries with no attempt at homicide, however I'm still concerned about it when I am not around. Or even for when we are not around and the pets are home alone. Has anyone here had their homes broken into?
I have (once) and it was horrible because I did not have renter's insurance. That was many years ago in Phoenix. It has not happened here, but even if it did I am fully insured so I could care less.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,164,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I have (once) and it was horrible because I did not have renter's insurance. That was many years ago in Phoenix. It has not happened here, but even if it did I am fully insured so I could care less.
I pretty much posted something similar in the stolen car thread. Insurance is a great peace of mind that helps me sleep at night. Besides a stranger being in my home or harming my family. I really don't care if someone breaks in while we are all gone and takes every single thing we own. We are more than covered for what everything is worth. All of the sentimental items and important paper work is in a bolted safe. Other than a week or two inconvenience, time to go shopping.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,129,287 times
I had my apt broken into when I lived in west Los Angeles. Had the car broken into here once, but that's it so far.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,478,815 times
Never in all the years I'm living here in Las Vegas have I ever been a victim of any kind of crime, nor have I had any experiences of crime with my rentals

Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 482,944 times
I have never had my apartment or car broken into here. And I live in a high crime area according to the crime map. I've had stuff stolen out of my house (Watch) here by contractors (I believe). But I have been broken into and vandalized in Portland OR. I also had another watch stolen by a cleaners in my house in pebble beach. I don't have anything in my apartment that I care about since it's temporary and basically a closet. Get a security system - leave it armed at all times when you're away and have it on stay mode while your home.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:00 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,325,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Never in all the years I'm living here in Las Vegas have I ever been a victim of any kind of crime, nor have I had any experiences of crime with my rentals
That, like many of the comments here, is good to hear. On a side note, when we move we'll be looking to rent a place so I may need to get in touch with you then

Old 02-10-2012, 10:07 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,076,187 times
I've never had my house broken into here. My parents had their home broken into last year (they lived in a nice area in Henderson). Luckily they weren't home at the time. The burglars lifted the sliding glass door to get in. The police said that is pretty common. Apparently you need a bar/rod type thing in the track and an anti lifting mechanism (can be as simple as screws screwed in above the door) to totally secure your sliders. Obviously they can still break the glass, but not much you can do about that.

The burglars stole a laptop, big screen plasma tv, ipad, all their jewelry. They filed an insurance claim and basically they were told, without receipts or a home inventory they wouldn't get much. They didn't have receipts or a home inventory, so the insurance company asked for manuals for the items, accessory cables, etc. basically proof they owned the items and if they could provide that they would get a partial payment for the item. After it was all said and done they decided it wasn't worth making a claim at all due to the dollar amount of what was stolen, what they could provide in manuals/cables, the partial payment amounts, and their deductible ($1000). I would have made the claim and fought it, but they thought if they didn't make the claim they wouldn't get "dinged" by the insurance. They were wrong, even without making the claim, assuming just based on the notification of the breaking in, the insurance company didn't renew their policy.

Maybe they were just unlucky, but it's motivated me to started building a home inventory. My folks have since moved and now have a monitored alarm.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,499,255 times
Be careful, and make your house a more difficult target. Add a large, intimidating, territorial dog to your pet collection. Get good quality locks, and use them.

Especially, make sure when you're in the house, that no one can get in a sneak up on you when your sleeping. It's one thing to get burglerized when your out. It's another to get woken up by some home invader tapping you on the back of your head with the barrel of his gun.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:35 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,880 times
Have not experienced any crime during my time in Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: