Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:10 AM

7 posts, read 10,658 times

Advertisements

For all the Californian who relocated to las Vegas, what are the differences in cost of living, such as ins, property tax, car registrations and overall quality of life, im planning on getting a condo soon and maybe relocating, Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 12:56 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I haven't spent a lot of time in Cali, but my first impression was crowded and always waiting in lines. And expensive too! And no, I wasn't at Disney Land.

Cali is very beautiful in places and there's always that ocean. The desert has it's own beauty to appreciate but it will take you a while to figure it out. It's not in your face like CA. Much more subtle.

It's much less expensive to live in Vegas but a decent job is hard to find and you will make less money here.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:47 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,461 times
TAXES TAXES TAXES...
food is actually just as expensive if not more expensive in vegas
fuel is cheaper in vegas
housing prices are less in vegas
sqft = price is larger in vegas
auto insurance is higher in vegas
HOA's are much lower in vegas
traffic is MUCH LESS in vegas
there are no curvy roads for spirited driving in vegas, but there are straight high speed roads
quality jobs are very very hard to come by in vegas
what jobs there are here are mostly service industry based employment
there is not as many creative or cultural things here in vegas

Old 12-18-2011, 04:08 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
food is actually just as expensive if not more expensive in vegas

sqft = price is larger in vegas
Huh???
Food here is dirt cheap!
Where in Cali can you find a steak and egg combo ---WITH COFFEE!--for 6 bucks?

Price per square foot here in Nevada is higher{larger} than Cali???
No way.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:34 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,539 times
Yeh I think the food here is very cheap, especially to eat out. Groceries are not far from the national average. The desert environment leaves something to be desired if you are into home gardening. Although many things can be grown, they require much more attention.
Outside of the strip, the traffic is basically nothing compared to California. You can get from most points A to most points B in 20-25 minutes max and you will rarely come across stand still bumper to bumper traffic like in California. In the immediate area around your house will be Anytown, USA. We have the same Olive Garden, McDonalds, Wal-marts, Targets, Best Buys, etc that everyone else has.
You can get more house for you money here and if you stay here for the long term, you might not be affected by the housing crisis. This of course depends on what your job is.
It is a very heavily serviced based economy. Cleaning hotel rooms and waiting tables wont pay for that 200k house in Summerlin with an SUV and a labrador retriever. If you have a solid job like medical, law, or government then you should do just fine.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:42 PM

47 posts, read 149,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I haven't spent a lot of time in Cali, but my first impression was crowded and always waiting in lines. And expensive too! And no, I wasn't at Disney Land.

Cali is very beautiful in places and there's always that ocean. The desert has it's own beauty to appreciate but it will take you a while to figure it out. It's not in your face like CA. Much more subtle.

It's much less expensive to live in Vegas but a decent job is hard to find and you will make less money here.
Where you waiting in lines in Vegas, seems pretty dead to me. Maybe it is the time of year? Malls are not crowded at all, considering Christmas is just around the corner.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:33 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler500 View Post
Where you waiting in lines in Vegas, seems pretty dead to me. Maybe it is the time of year? Malls are not crowded at all, considering Christmas is just around the corner.
The post you quoted referred to waiting in lines in "Cali", not Las Vegas.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:37 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Huh???
Food here is dirt cheap!

No way.
and car insurance is more here than in Cali? Heck this is the cheapest place in the country for me (2 Scions, Full Coverage, 100/300 down to $469 FOR BOTH for 6 months, thanks to Snapshot Progressive)

Old 12-18-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Huh???
Food here is dirt cheap!

No way.
Norms!
Where else...

Old 12-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Huh???

No way.
better learn to read before inserting foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: