Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:40 PM

699 posts, read 2,221,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
With legal advice, you get what you pay for.
sorry, scoop, that is a first hand rec. non-criminal, and they did the job for a good price. and we'd use them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,023,895 times
my 2 cents.. pd is fine unless her employment would find out that she has a felony (even though it would drop off) and fire her... not many jobs here with felonies, not sure elsewhere... might be worth the couple grand

Old 12-15-2011, 07:09 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,810,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Thank you so much, sir. You are very knowledgeable. I will buy you a beer or three when I am home next week. Serious.

A cost benefit analysis seems like this deal is good. I guess the only thing that an attorney could do for a few grand is have the felony reduced upfront to a misdemeanor.

What disturbs me is that arrest record is already heavily googlable and states felony on a few sites. With the jiveaS% databrokers out there hocking $9.99 background checks wonder if her felony will ever disappear.

I doubt it. Those websites are not considered accurate. Not saying that no company uses them, but my guess is they contact the actual county. They could still find the arrest though. If they contacted the county. The websites on the internet are nothing more than compiled databases of background searches. They are not themselves background checks.

This probably confuses people, and I won't try and explain it. It's just a database that a third party compiled.

Really depends on the type of background check done. Most employers just do a superficial one based on residential history. If she was not convicted of anything at all, the arrest would likely not show up. It shows up now because it is pending.

If she is convicted of the misdemeanor like we assume she will be, the arrest shows up because the records will include details about how the suspect was arrested.

Job applications usually ask if you have been convicted, not arrested. In my experience just answer the question honestly.

I got arrested and convicted 13 years ago of a DUI. I am not required to tell employers about it, but I do anyways. Never had it be a problem.

She'll get past this. Key is getting it down to misdemeanor assault. No deadly weapons. Violence is a different animal then are DUI's actually. While everyone has probably driven drunk before, not everyone has assaulted another human being.

(To all you smarty pants planning on saying you've never driven drunk, bite me)

Good lawyer could squash this altogether though if it's a first offense. Talk to my guy, see what he says. Or take the misdemeanor. I am guessing it will cost around 1k and by around around I mean at least :P

Old 12-15-2011, 07:46 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,992,779 times
Exaday....5-7k is what he quoted...much steeper than the 2500 I thought. Nice fellow though.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:50 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,810,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Exaday....5-7k is what he quoted...much steeper than the 2500 I thought. Nice fellow though.
Oh the 1k I was talking about was for the fine with the misdemeanor. lawyer would be alot more 5-7 k for the lawyer i am guessing?

That 5-7 probably makes it go away for good.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:21 PM

Thanks again. I'm not sure I am wiling to drop 5-7 k on someone else. If it led to her avoiding jail time maybe--as there is a kid involved--but the cost benefit analysis to me peaks at about 3k. Maybe your guy will negotiate.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:57 PM

719 posts, read 1,481,262 times
She does NOT need a felony. It is life altering. A public pretended can get it reduced IF he or she gives a crap about doing a good job, which is a crap shoot in that case. Exaday? You said most employers do local background checks based on residential history. Is that in Las Vegas? Because in Nashville employers pay $30 bucks or so for a nationwide check.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:58 PM

719 posts, read 1,481,262 times
And to whoever said a felony "falls off" ... it does not. It remains for eternity unless expunged through the courts.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:14 PM

23,245 posts, read 29,098,666 times
If these were the Wild West days, her body would have probably ended up in a desert grave, no charges filed, no criminal defense attorney necessary, but, oh shucks, this is 2012!

Good luck!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
And to whoever said a felony "falls off" ... it does not. It remains for eternity unless expunged through the courts.
"falls off"... this may be a case of a layman arguing specific legal terms.

what I mean is that after three years if her nose is clean the offense will show up as a misdemeanor and not a felony.

This is very possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas