Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,472,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Yes, but the topic is Las Vegas. To be more open about it means for it to be more easily accepted.
Actually it has meant that our local kids become immune to it as there is no mystery involved. Kids in other, more backward, and restricted, places, and I know ─ I wuz wun ─ try things because they are new and exciting and something they think they can get away with. They think it makes them look daring or something to their friends. Here they get so used to it they just don't give a sh**.

I've said this before and I'll say it again ─ I can go to any big city or crappy little town in the U.S., and I could find hookers and illegal gambling within about 20 minutes. There isn't a town on the planet where there is no illegal gambling, and it is always in backrooms, run by dangerous crooks that will kill you if you win and try to leave the game. Although you probably won't win because the game is more than likely crooked. The difference between us and them is that we aren't hypocrites about it; we make sure it is out in the open where it can regulated and kept honest. Nobody gets killed here for not paying gambling debts, they go to court. And if you win they congratulate you and show you off because it brings in more business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 02:49 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,472,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipresa View Post
Well ArmyFool - nice use of the English language. Maybe its not the school that didn't help the child. Just sayin'

And of course no one means to assume the OP is moving to Las Vegas as living on the streets around the El Cortez, MLK, D Street or off Maryland...behind a liquor store.

Summerlin has great schools. So does Henderson. For that, the OP has to look at the whole picture and find the right neighborhood, amenities and schools for them.

Texas schools have the same problem - many classes are taught in Spanish and my niece's class has 85% Spanish as a first language. It did hold her back, as the classes were geared to a low-English speaking level. She eventually was pulled out for home schooling.

However in Las Vegas, I read that there are more Chinese speakers (Mandarin? Anyhow, simply not Spanish) than Spanish speakers and the number of Tagalog may out pace Spanish in schools. This may have all recessed in the past 2 years or so, but it is a factor in the schools.
I don't think that is true. We went from 6% to about 26%, or more, Hispanic during the boom years of 1988 to 2008. Spanish is used in classrooms here too. There are many Asians and Filipinos here but I believe the recent census puts it below 10%. Working with job seekers at the State Employment Services office I dealt with Spanish speakers daily ─ we had several Spanish translators on staff ─ but I seldom had any clients who spoke Mandarin or Tagalog. We had a former Mormon Missionary on staff who was our go to guy for Mandarin, but I don't know of anyone who ever used him. People of every nationality came in though, but most of them ─ not all ─ spoke English, while more of the Spanish speakers required a translator.

My point is though that if they don't speak English they won't do well in school in America, and will most likely drop out. But while they are there they bring down the test scores. That said, I don't believe in tests anyway, or forcing kids to sit in a classroom and listen to, or read, words all day, especially if they don't understand those words (and you'd be shocked at the school teachers and others [like doctors?] that never understood a word they were "studying".

But the test of learning is understanding, and the test of that is not reciting memorized words, it is demonstrating you can use the data, which is the sole purpose of education anyway ...or it should be. And one other thing: if you are teaching a guy to fix tractors, sooner or later you gotta show him a real tractor. The words just put him to sleep ...the action of handling the actual physical material wakes him up, and he'll enjoy being there and want to learn more. You test him by watching him fix a tractor, not by asking the name of the whirligig that turns the whatchamacallit, or who invented it in 1899.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:51 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,098,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
We have way too many family type neighborhoods all over the valley.
Way too many? Just curious - if you really feel that way - then with what do you suggest that those family type neighborhoods be replaced?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:12 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,876,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Way too many? Just curious - if you really feel that way - then with what do you suggest that those family type neighborhoods be replaced?
You really should not do this. Why are you reading and commenting on year old posts?

You pop them up.

I hit to see what it is about. And I am hooked into reading a long list of stuff I read a long time ago.

And then at the end you are dredging it up either for a lack of understanding or because you are being clever.

Either way don't. Pink was simply pointing out it was not a smut fest because there were too many family type neighborhood.

No go forth and sin no more. Particularly no sinning out of context.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,098,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
No go forth and sin no more. Particularly no sinning out of context.
Hail Mary, full of grace ... pray for us sinners, now and at the time of our death, Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: