Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:38 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
This year we bought a live tree online. It was pricey, I don't know who said they can get them from Vermont for $75. We got a 8' Fraiser from North Carolina and it was around $175 shipped.
Shipping alone was $75, $25 oversize fee on top of $50 shipping, the tree was around $95 for an 8'. Also I was mistaken, it was New Hampshire, not Vermont (weirtreefarms.com).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 11:46 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Happy Holidays to everyone. I will be living in Las Vegas next Christmas so being from the east coast I was wondering how many folks put up real christmas trees what kind of trees are available to buy and what cost? Enjoy the Holidays.
You'll be living in the land of fakery. 'nuff said.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:01 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Since Southern Nevada looks almost exactly like the land of the first Christmas, I'd say that "traditional" Christmas trees are Banana Yuccas or Joshua Trees. Or maybe creosote bushes. Some people stack tumbleweeds in a pyramid shape, spray paint them white, and hang ornaments on them. Clever, but tumbleweeds aren't native plants.

The OP wants to know if we put up "real" trees, and can we buy them here? The answer to that is, "why wouldn't we?" Just because they don't grow here doesn't mean we can't import them like they do everywhere. This is, after all, an American city like any other, except we have more of everything here, not less.

The post about going to Caliente to cut trees was meant to be humorous, but maybe it wasn't. It's based on the trips we made up there to "save" money by cutting our own for $3.00, and to enjoy the outdoors. We're not that "picky", and I can make a Charlie Brown tree look good anyway. Now we use an artificial tree if we bother to put one up at all.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:23 PM

383 posts, read 901,282 times
Just got home from Starr Nursery. They had 6-7 ft. Douglass for $20 and 6-7 ft. Noble for 34$. Last year I went for the Noble because the Douglass looked like it was cut into shape but this year the Douglass trees looked great so I saved the $15. The one I got was fresh off the truck and closer to 8 ft. The bag it and make a fresh cut for you. I tipped the guy $3 so was out of there with tree loaded in my car for less than $25.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:24 PM

My daughter usually has about five trees throughout the house. She even takes down the pictures on the wall and hangs pix of whatever holiday she's celebrating. Every surface in the house will look like Christmas (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter, whatever). We refer to her as the Martha Stewart of North Las Vegas.

Her best friends, another school teacher and hubby, a famous entertainer, have a shed to hold all the Christmas stuff. It's obviously their favorite time of year. I think people in Las Vegas really get into decorating for Christmas.

I'm married to Scroogette. If I want decorations I gotta do it. But once I start she gets into the mood and helps out. We prefer the southwest style. We've tried putting electric farolitos on the roof and along the driveway, but December is a windy month, so it's a pain in the bu** to retrieve the plastic bags from all over the neighborhood. My neighbor somehow made his permanent and they stay up year round. Good thing it's a Pueblo Revival style home.

(Note: farolitos are the candles or lights in a bag of sand. Luminarias [not luminaries] are little bonfires. But even in New Mexico, the state that invented them, nobody can agree on the names.)

Old 12-04-2011, 01:17 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
My daughter usually has about five trees throughout the house. She even takes down the pictures on the wall and hangs pix of whatever holiday she's celebrating. Every surface in the house will look like Christmas (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter, whatever). We refer to her as the Martha Stewart of North Las Vegas.
That's my wife to a T. Our neighbors even come over to celebrate Christmas at our house because of the winter wonderland my wife creates.

It's very nice, and I enjoy what she does...but I'm like your wife...I wouldm;t bother.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:30 AM

Costco has noble firs, 7-8 ft., $44.95.

You can get coupons at Fabulous Freddies for $10 off purchase of $75 or more for Tivoli Village Christmas Tree Lot. Noble firs, Grand Firs, Douglas Firs. 20% off for military, police, and fire fighters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas