Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 PM

26 posts, read 119,032 times

Advertisements

Okay, im here again... we were going to move back to Las Vegas 2 years ago but the economy was so bad and my husband is a carpenter so we stayed put. Is it getting any better now for construction/carpentry? Me and my son have a family there I miss and the beautiful blue sky's, but we don't want to be in the soup line.. Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,820,413 times
Your kidding right?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 PM

542 posts, read 987,271 times
Every carpenter I know went to California........................2 years ago.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,853,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
Every carpenter I know went to California........................2 years ago.
... and there's no residential projects going on here in Southern California. Some guys got into other areas of construction such as solar panel installations but many are unemployed.

-Cheers.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,301,840 times
I keep hearing Texas is the place to be for construction jobs.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,165,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebaby View Post
Okay, im here again... we were going to move back to Las Vegas 2 years ago but the economy was so bad and my husband is a carpenter so we stayed put. Is it getting any better now for construction/carpentry? Me and my son have a family there I miss and the beautiful blue sky's, but we don't want to be in the soup line.. Thanks for any input
Did you ever find your family?

Quote:
Hi, I am looking for my mother and my brother, they live in las vegas. My mother's maiden name is Jacqueline Haney, she would be 55 or 56, and my brother Christopher, is around 22 years old, She has also gone by the name Karen Buchanon. I would love to meet my brother, i dont even know if he know's he has a sister and he is the only brother that I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
https://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...eply&p=2817736

Quote:
my family is not in the construction business and they do not know anything about construction. they are just telling me there are not a lot of jobs, thats why im asking here. when i look on cragslist i see a lot of jobs listed and some construction, so i was just looking for some feedback, maybe by some people in the construction industry
A lot has changed if your family told you this.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
... and there's no residential projects going on here in Southern California. Some guys got into other areas of construction such as solar panel installations but many are unemployed.

-Cheers.
Carpenters do a lot more than residential framing.

Nearly anything concrete is done by carpenters. Airports, malls, parking structures, elevator shafts, floors, columns in larger buildings.....

California actually has a fair bit of work going on right now, and is the same pay scale as here in Nevada, so most of the guys are down there, working. No need to take a pay cut to go to Texass.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,134,735 times
my step son is a carpenter with 25 years of union construction and an EXCELLLANT work record.... he's has been out of work for nearly 3 years and is now a Limo Driver.

CONSTRUCTION in this town does not exist for the foreseeable future. A project here and there does NOT equal a resurrgance of the building industry.......and when it DOES resurge, the first jobs will go to the local guys NOT the carpetbaggers.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,516,209 times
The only carpenters working these days...are the carpenter ants...and the pay sux.

Read 'em...and weep:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...ing-a-job.html

According to Indeed, the metro areas with the strongest jobs picture are San Jose, Calif., Washington, D.C., and New York. San Jose has nearly two job postings per potential applicant, according to Indeed, while D.C. has 1.7 listings per job seeker, and New York, 1.2 jobs.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
my step son is a carpenter with 25 years of union construction and an EXCELLLANT work record.... he's has been out of work for nearly 3 years and is now a Limo Driver.

CONSTRUCTION in this town does not exist for the foreseeable future. A project here and there does NOT equal a resurrgance of the building industry.......and when it DOES resurge, the first jobs will go to the local guys NOT the carpetbaggers.
How does he do driving a limo? I've seriously thought about doing that.

I'm in the same boat. I haven't worked in Vegas in 3.5 years (Echelon was my last job here), and I'm sick of traveling.

I already have a CDL (No passenger endorsement though...but I could get one easily).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas