Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 03:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,850,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palepeople View Post
Actually it's #2
Technically. Actually it is number 3. Clark County is actually a municipality among other things and is actually the largest municipality in the state. However technically you are correct. We act as if Clark County does not really exist when it is in fact the most powerful government organization in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 03:14 PM

156 posts, read 405,668 times
Most people in the Las Vegas valley don't know where they live anyway - but since they are unincorporated, I don't count them in my city rankings

Old 12-16-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palepeople View Post
Most people in the Las Vegas valley don't know where they live anyway - but since they are unincorporated, I don't count them in my city rankings

Ahh but what power is it that Henderson or Las Vegas have that the County does not have or have better?

They tend to be more anal but otherwise less empowered if anything. Want to get something fixed? Sic Tom the cowboy on it...done in days.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:11 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,038,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
We act as if Clark County does not really exist when it is in fact the most powerful government organization in the state.

If that were truly the case, UNLV would have the medical program, not UNR. Furthermore, Clark County would receive the tax subsidies, rather than pay them.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If that were truly the case, UNLV would have the medical program, not UNR. Furthermore, Clark County would receive the tax subsidies, rather than pay them.
That of course deals with state politics not local. But it is still a good point.

How about we both start a movement that nobody gets elected to the Senate or Assembly that does not swear a solemn oath to make UNLV the first of the Nevada Medical schools...in all dimensions.

Might be fun. We might even be able to get some of the local conservatives acting in our best interests instead of sucking up to the northern contingent.

If we can have only one medical school...UNLV.

And by the way there are a half dozen other schools up there we should force south...

And when we get done with all that I think NLV would be a great place to have the state capital. Or we could leave the capital building there but move all the major state offices to NLV.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:20 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,038,629 times
Odd that we're agreeing. Clark County is the 800 pound gorilla in Nevada. But the bastards up north keep shooting us with tranquilizer darts. Then they pickpocket us.

The local conservatives are our worst enemies -- they're more concerned keeping our tax dollars flowing to a bunch of "libertarian" welfare ranchers than they are with representing us. (And then those welfare ranchers have the cajones to lecture us about fiscal responsibility.) State politics absolutely disgusts me. I'd be willing to secede from Nevada. We don't need Nevada, at all. Nevada is a ball and chain around Clark County's ankle. Nevada needs us -- they'd be bankrupt without us.

Why we acquiesce to being Carson City's b**** doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:23 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,501,432 times
The medical school is up North and not here in Clark County because UNR has been around a lot longer than UNLV, besides the state government offices of NV are located up North with cities and counties in Northern Nevada incorporated way ahead of its counterpart here in Clark County.

It would be a different story if UNLV were established first and the state government offices were in Las Vegas with our cities and counties incorporated first but it would be nice for UNLV in Clark County to have a medical school.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:02 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,170,120 times
I remember when they first re-named Southern Nevada Memorial as UMC. I was just a kid, but I remember thinking, "does that mean the medical school is moving down here?"

Anybody (here) who votes for a northern Nevadan for governor is shooting themselves in the foot.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:07 AM

555 posts, read 1,262,202 times
[quote=NLVgal;32643140]I remember when they first re-named Southern Nevada Memorial as UMC. I was just a kid, but I remember thinking, "does that mean the medical school is moving down here?"

quote]

And prior to it being Southern Nevada Memorial it was Clark County General Hospital and was also known as the "poor people hospital"

Old 12-17-2013, 11:14 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,170,120 times
[quote=Kitchen Witch;32646992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I remember when they first re-named Southern Nevada Memorial as UMC. I was just a kid, but I remember thinking, "does that mean the medical school is moving down here?"

quote]

And prior to it being Southern Nevada Memorial it was Clark County General Hospital and was also known as the "poor people hospital"
It's still known as the "poor people hospital" which is a shame, because outside of the regular ER, Ugh. (not the trauma center, which is very good) the hospital is better than some private hospitals in the valley.

If more people realized that, they (UMC) could maybe break even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas