Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:37 PM

421 posts, read 898,931 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to LV in the next 6 months and I promise to try to help your economy as much as possible!!!. Not trying to be a grave robber, just someone who will be able to retire with prices lower than here in CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 04:56 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
I will be moving to LV in the next 6 months and I promise to try to help your economy as much as possible!!!. Not trying to be a grave robber, just someone who will be able to retire with prices lower than here in CA
Which is sorta how the Vegas housing market got so bad :P

Kalifornians would sale their way too expensive homes and come to Vegas where to them the houses were so cheap they'd buy them 20% above market values. It was hard for a regular person to get a house. Demand went up and so did the prices. I blame Kalifornia.

I actually have little knowledge of economics or real estate in other words I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:23 PM

762 posts, read 1,563,110 times
we thought we did so well bought in 09 for 65k
last assesed at 23k

What the flip ever you could not build our house for 23k
and we have a big back yard, granite and tavertine floors
Whatever the banks & gov are doing. I don't want to know

Old 09-18-2011, 05:45 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,315,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
(I saw one and started singing "
Another Pleasant Valley Sunday" By The Monkees)

Little Boxes (weeds theme song) - YouTube

Old 09-18-2011, 06:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,222,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
we thought we did so well bought in 09 for 65k
last assesed at 23k

What the flip ever you could not build our house for 23k
and we have a big back yard, granite and tavertine floors
Whatever the banks & gov are doing. I don't want to know
Assessed? that is 35% of market. Be glad.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Which is sorta how the Vegas housing market got so bad :P

Kalifornians would sale their way too expensive homes and come to Vegas where to them the houses were so cheap they'd buy them 20% above market values. It was hard for a regular person to get a house. Demand went up and so did the prices. I blame Kalifornia.
Same thing happened in Key West. When I left, the billionaires were buying all the island's real estate from the mere millionaires. No way a cop, teacher or cook could buy a house in Old Town on a normal salary.

To paraphrase Scrooge, "If the poor want to live in Key West, they had better be rich."

So it's not JUST Californians. It's anyone who has enough money to buy what they want, price or value be damned.

California just makes a nice scapegoat.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:47 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,129,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Same thing happened in Key West. When I left, the billionaires were buying all the island's real estate from the mere millionaires. No way a cop, teacher or cook could buy a house in Old Town on a normal salary.

To paraphrase Scrooge, "If the poor want to live in Key West, they had better be rich."

So it's not JUST Californians. It's anyone who has enough money to buy what they want, price or value be damned.

BEAR in mind, when I refer to people that have come here and ruined the place, I NORMALLY refer to KALIFORNICATORS

These are the lowlife getrich quick type that in the 1860's were called Carpetbaggers in the south

Kalifornicators move to Kalifornia from the last place they raped and will go back there with their tails between their legs.

They came and said we HATE the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia and we want Nevada to be just like it.

ONLY thing the CALIFORNIANS did was to whisper in the ear of the KALIFORNICATORS that Nevada was a get rich quick paradise and the Kalifornicators ran here like Lemmings rushing to the sea.

NOW we need to do the same thing....maybe send em to Arkansas

Old 09-18-2011, 08:47 PM

241 posts, read 492,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

Are public servants supposed to be able to buy island property in tourist/rich enclaves?

I think public workers are still grossly over compensated. Not much in pure salary but in benefits, particularly pensions.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:02 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1337 View Post
Are public servants supposed to be able to buy island property in tourist/rich enclaves?

I think public workers are still grossly over compensated. Not much in pure salary but in benefits, particularly pensions.

I thought he was being a little sarcastic.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1337 View Post

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. The super rich who live in Key West demand schools and roads and electricity and service in restaurants (and everything else) -- but they have priced the island completely out of the reach of the people who normally perform these services.

It's a very big problem in high-demand areas -- like Aspen, Manhatten, Key West and San Francisco.

The Florida Keys are particularly hard to reconcile, because there are no suburbs for the middle class to relocate to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas