Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 03:33 PM

822 posts, read 2,203,463 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm currently in school to become a Secondary Mathematics teacher. I am interested in moving back to Las Vegas as I loved living there in the past but had to come back to Florida for family issues. I see that Nevada State College offers the degree that I am seeking. I am trying to find some people who have graduated from NSC or are currently attending it. I have heard various reviews of it and have read some really bad reviews of it as well. I know it is still a relatively new school. I have no objections to UNLV but I would like to do all the research I can on both schools before making my decision. So does anyone have some good 411 on NSC? It would be great to hear from some current or past students. Have a good one.

Nevada State College: Home Page Contents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 04:11 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Hello all,
I'm currently in school to become a Secondary Mathematics teacher. I am interested in moving back to Las Vegas as I loved living there in the past but had to come back to Florida for family issues. I see that Nevada State College offers the degree that I am seeking. I am trying to find some people who have graduated from NSC or are currently attending it. I have heard various reviews of it and have read some really bad reviews of it as well. I know it is still a relatively new school. I have no objections to UNLV but I would like to do all the research I can on both schools before making my decision. So does anyone have some good 411 on NSC? It would be great to hear from some current or past students. Have a good one.

I'd stick with UNLV. Give NSC some time to grow up and be recognized. There has been a lot of controversy surrounding Nevada State College, and I'm not sure all that has been settled. UNLV is a much better school for a teachers education. Lots of teachers here went to UNLV, including my daughter.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:54 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Hello all,

I've heard mostly good things about it. Has to be for the right person I guess.

Classes are smaller, you get more attention. I look for it to be absorbed by CSN eventually.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:30 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,922,577 times
I know people who have taken classes at NSC...it's not a bad school, but beware that it has NO reputation. It seems like a lot of people around town have never even heard of it.

UNLV may be the safer bet, if name recognition matters to you.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:47 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I know people who have taken classes at NSC...it's not a bad school, but beware that it has NO reputation. It seems like a lot of people around town have never even heard of it.

UNLV may be the safer bet, if name recognition matters to you.
In this case I think I'd prefer my math teacher had a degree from an accredited school like UNLV, and not what might be considered a high school on steroids.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,949 times
Nevada State offers a nice fall back plan for many young students who do not have the gpa to attend UNLV (3.4 versus 2.0). However, with budget cuts Nevada State is being highly affected and consequently dropping many programs. UNLV's core departments such as mathematics and English are relatively unaffected and safe at a university standing. It would be awful to start at NSC and have your program cut so much that you have to attend UNLV anyway and then find that your credits dont transfer. Further UNLV has much more to offer a student than NSC does by way of amenities. There are computer labs in every building, a state-of-the-art nationally recognized fitness center and a truly superb library that will satisfy even the most discerning tastes (I should know, I just spent the past four years in there). Also, UNLV has an exceptionally varied student body and lots of on campus events going on daily, there is truly never a dull moment.
Little known secret as well, UNLV has a beautiful campus with three gardens, an outdoor ampitheater and a museum curated but students.
Best of luck to you, but I definitely say choose UNLV.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,204 times
I disagree with all of the negative reviews about NSC. I got my Bachelors degree in nursing there, and I graduated in May 2007. I absolutely LOVED my experience there. A degree is a degree. I got hired quickly and no one said anything about the fact that I went to NSC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: