Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:31 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,665,561 times

Advertisements

...or Girl Scout cookie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 08:55 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,757,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
If you work in a hospital, we have more hospitals now then we did 8 years ago. They always need help. And as olecapt says, the service industry is still a good place to look for jobs. Tagalog? Well, he/she surprises me. I've never before known such a negative Filipino.

By the way, your remarks about the humidity and bugs in Florida should be proof to anyone who doubts it that Nevada is way ahead of Florida in terms of a more pleasant place to live.
+1 on Tagalog, many of the filipinos here in Vegas are Rn's. If your ever in the hospital for anything, just take a good look at your RN, probably will be a Filipino. I've never heard one complain about living here yet.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:47 PM

72 posts, read 111,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
If you work in a hospital, we have more hospitals now then we did 8 years ago. They always need help. And as olecapt says, the service industry is still a good place to look for jobs. Tagalog? Well, he/she surprises me. I've never before known such a negative Filipino.

By the way, your remarks about the humidity and bugs in Florida should be proof to anyone who doubts it that Nevada is way ahead of Florida in terms of a more pleasant place to live.
Well that's a racist comment if I ever heard one. As in regards to the service industry, most work part time without benefits. This is the general norm. In addition to high unemployment, low property values, terrible school system, Vegas also has a terrible medical system. The majority of nurses that I know are upset that they even took a job here in Vegas. The patient care ratio here is terrible. Most of us are so disgusted that when someone is sick in our family we fly them to California to a real hospital.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:56 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,123,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagalog View Post
Well that's a racist comment if I ever heard one. As in regards to the service industry, most work part time without benefits. This is the general norm. In addition to high unemployment, low property values, terrible school system, Vegas also has a terrible medical system. The majority of nurses that I know are upset that they even took a job here in Vegas. The patient care ratio here is terrible. Most of us are so disgusted that when someone is sick in our family we fly them to California to a real hospital.
Where to start?

1) I have in-laws who are nurses in Vegas. They make great money.

2) We have a great medical system -- if the patient has good insurance. If the patient is poor or has inferior insurance, the healthcare in Vegas is substandard -- just like the rest of the US.

3) I work in the service industry. Union position. I draw fairly good pay, and the benefits are OK. Not great, but better than most people get.

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that all this acid and bile in your system can't be healthy. You are not as bad off as you claim to be. You want to see bad off? Travel to Haiti, or N. Korea or Ethiopia.

If you can afford to fly family members out of state for health care, than things really can't be all that bad -- compared to some kid in N. Korea who hasn't eaten a decent meal this month.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 PM

670 posts, read 1,113,363 times
Quote:
I don't believe that was a racist comment. If it was said that you were negative becauseyou were Filipino, that would be a racist comment.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:34 PM

9,376 posts, read 12,018,769 times
Quote:

Maybe move closer to the CA medical system?

Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 AM

7 posts, read 16,987 times
Jeez, you locals dont have a general consensus dont y'all? Sounds like its a bad move unless we have a job locked up already before moving.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:48 PM

29 posts, read 60,336 times
Forget about the unemployment numbers. If you are young, confident in yourself, and are really willing to work, you will be able to find a job. Even if the true unemployment numbers are 25%, that means that 75% of the people have jobs.

Just get your resume together, practice interviewing, and be ready to go out there. You will have no problem. Now if you're lazy, that's another thing.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Where to start?

2) We have a great medical system -- if the patient has good insurance. If the patient is poor or has inferior insurance, the healthcare in Vegas is substandard -- just like the rest of the US.

3) I work in the service industry. Union position. I draw fairly good pay, and the benefits are OK. Not great, but better than most people get.

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that all this acid and bile in your system can't be healthy. You are not as bad off as you claim to be. You want to see bad off? Travel to Haiti, or N. Korea or Ethiopia.

If you can afford to fly family members out of state for health care, than things really can't be all that bad -- compared to some kid in N. Korea who hasn't eaten a decent meal this month.

Nurses make great money here. One problem is the patient care ratio here in Nevada. Nurses are overwhelmed with patients. Many nurses including myself send our family members to Kaiser in California for appointments. It is almost impossible to get an appt. here with a doctor. Waiting time is months.
Las Vegas has a terrible medical system. Just 2 years ago, a doctor infected many people with various diseases because he re-used needles to save money.

Point is? How does this reflect health care?

Old 08-15-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyingWhenLow View Post
Forget about the unemployment numbers. If you are young, confident in yourself, and are really willing to work, you will be able to find a job. Even if the true unemployment numbers are 25%, that means that 75% of the people have jobs.

Just get your resume together, practice interviewing, and be ready to go out there. You will have no problem. Now if you're lazy, that's another thing.
This person doesn't have an idea what he is talking about. I have many friends that hold masters degrees and are having a difficult time finding employment here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: