Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,823,003 times

Advertisements

I'm a first time home-owner and pretty new to living in house. All my neighbors keep their garage doors partially opened, just a foot or so. I guess they do this because it somehow cools the house?

I don't understand this. Does leaving the garage door open help in some way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:36 AM

215 posts, read 353,827 times
I think they are just being weird. There are HOAs that have rules about keeping doors partially open. My garage is only open when we are driving in or out, and it's perfectly cool during most of the year and bearable during the summer.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:48 AM

458 posts, read 1,676,951 times
One of my neighbors told me once it was so the cockroaches had an exit. Of course, I didn't point out that it gives them a rather nice entrance as well...

Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,232,483 times
I have noticed this in my old neighborhood. At least 5 garages were always open with the 5-10 inch open gap towards the bottom. In my old neighborhood there were several homes that had someone or more living in the garages. I would see a mix of beds, couches, TVs, carpet, pool tables etc...all spaced out as a operating living space. Maybe it was a game room...maybe it was a make-shift bed room...Who knows.

My current neighborhood has one violator of this and he is a NV state trooper. Im sure he will be getting a letter soon.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:46 AM

233 posts, read 501,122 times
I'm only guessing to an answer, but I've seen it done in my neighborhood too. Our bedroom is right over the garage and I'm assuming there is no insulation in the floor cause the heat just radiates up into the bedroom, A lot of the houses in the neighborhood are the same style lol, rest of the house stays cool. The garage tends to feel like an oven specially after you put a car in there. Maybe they are letting the heat out?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:49 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,533,708 times
It's definitely for circulation. Maybe they keep the garbáge in there, or maybe a dog that's too big to get under the door spends a lot of time there. I think it makes it easier for burglars ...and roaches ... to get in. I followed the smell of death to a bucket in my garage one time, and found a dead Geico insurance salesman. So I close mine, and I insulated them with blocks of foam from Home Depot. It really made a difference.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:06 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,523,394 times
Buzz is correct. People leave their garage door open a bit to allow air in the garage and help cool it off. In my neighborhood, this is especially true for those of us that have West facing garage doors. The steel doors heat up with the constant sun beating on them, especially when the sun is the strongest in late afternoon.

And yes, sometimes it's because there's a pet in there (hopefully not) or stinky trash. Having cars parked in the garage when the engines are still hot, really heats it up in there too.

We had a company come out and put some type of insulation on the inside of the garage doors and that helped a lot, to not only cool off the garage but also the bedroom above it.

Last edited by MomMom; 07-29-2011 at 10:21 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 06:01 PM

278 posts, read 794,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
It's definitely for circulation. Maybe they keep the garbáge in there, or maybe a dog that's too big to get under the door spends a lot of time there. I think it makes it easier for burglars ...and roaches ... to get in. I followed the smell of death to a bucket in my garage one time, and found a dead Geico insurance salesman. So I close mine, and I insulated them with blocks of foam from Home Depot. It really made a difference.
how easy was it to do the install of the foam? what section/area did you find the foam?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:19 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,292,306 times
I did my old house [now owned by my secondxwifewhatzername] with rolls of insullation in the garage. was EASY to do ....all ya need is a boxknife and a staplegun. I ran an extension off the AC duct to it for when I was n there and it was GREAT.....I hope her BF really got good use out of it :]

Old 07-29-2011, 07:10 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,533,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_el View Post
how easy was it to do the install of the foam? what section/area did you find the foam?
I got the foam panels from either Home Depot or Lowe's. I think it was Home Depot, and if I remember right it was back in lumber, or near lumber. I found this site for you, but I don't think it was as expensive as it is on this site. It's really easy. You just stick it in the panels. Foam Panel Garage Door Insulation Kits with Installation Instructions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas