Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:29 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,024,165 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the great tips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 09:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,082,164 times
They actually did use some of the xcel product too. I believe they used the preferred deck as the acrylic material they sprayed down, but they painted with the xcel paint.

How do you clean yours? I haven't gotten the pressure washer out since I was concerned the new stuff might delaminate. I tried using an exterior brush with various cleaning agents but I still have spots that never really get clean.

They did mine last summer and they pressure washed everything and had one guy scraping with a putty knife type tool in the debonded areas.

They did a terrible job texture matching, which I know is an art and will never be perfect, but it stands out like a sore thumb at my pool. They were also a mess and got paint overspray all over my fence, garden hose, and synthetic grass.

The guy who did mine was a referral from NPS, which my fault, I didn't check but he wasn't a licensed contractor.

Hope yours turned out better than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I just had my Kool Deck redone last Thursday. They used this stuff:

XCEL SURFACES Acrylic Concrete Surfacing Products–Products at a Glance (http://www.xcelsurfaces.com/Products/Default.aspx - broken link)

which doesn't sound that different than the product used on your deck. I wonder how much proper application contributes to longevity.

The stuff used the first time it was redone (maybe 2004) was complete crap, and in a few spots separated from the concrete and bubbled up. Never had a problem cleaning it, except my pressure washer could remove it from those spots where it did not bond to the concrete. The new application looks much better, but it's far too early to tell how well it is going to hold up. The same person did my neighbor's deck a few months ago; so far theirs has held up.

The guys doing the install made an absolute mess in the yard. They used concrete grinders on the areas where there were bonding problems with the old coating, and most of the dust wound up in the pool (only today is the pool finally clear). They were careful where they sprayed the texture during application, but not while adjusting the gun before they started, so they got texture all over a bunch of flower pots that were near the pool.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:02 AM

930 posts, read 1,821,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I had my kool deck re-done last year and honestly it came out terrible. They used an acrylic material they spray down and then re-paint the whole thing. Since the new stuff is painted it gets stained easily from dirty feet or just yard dirt and it is nearly impossible to clean. There are sections I literally cannot clean.

I was told they can't "re-do" authentic kool deck, since the kool deck is applied only to freshly poured concrete, but watch out for the acrylic products and I would stay away from anything that is painted. The stuff they used on my deck is called "Preferred Deck Systems" and I definitely would not have that done again.

kool deck repainting requires sanding it down, virtually removing it and starting from scratch. just pressure washing and repainting is a short term bandaid that you'd probably have to do every year.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Just FYI, anyone who may have been thinking about getting the variable speed pump with the NV Energy rebate. I went to NPS two days ago and they said the $300 rebate goes away entirely on August 1st and the pool pump rebate program is supposed to be restarted in Jan, 2012. They said it was going down to $150, but now it will be stopped entirely.

NPS was out of the Pentair variable pump, but said they would have a shipment in before Aug 1st. I believe the price installed after the rebate was $1,100. The price for the pump if you self install (you can still get the rebate) is around $750 out the door after rebate.

I used on the online calculator and the "estimate" energy savings for my pool is $600/yr going from my existing 1.5hp single speed pump to the variable speed pump on a 15k gal pool. I was going to wait until my current pump died, but decided I would jump on it before the rebate goes away.

Quote:
I was just in a Leslie's Pool Supply, and the sign on the door said the $300 rebate for a variable speed pump goes down to $150 on August 1st, so buy soon if you want the full rebate.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:04 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
NPS was out of the Pentair variable pump, but said they would have a shipment in before Aug 1st. I believe the price installed after the rebate was $1,100. The price for the pump if you self install (you can still get the rebate) is around $750 out the door after rebate.
I think you are getting the two Pentair Intelliflo pumps confused. The Variable Flow VF-3050 is about $1250 before rebate or $950 after rebate, and the Variable Speed VS-3050 is about $950 before rebate and $650 after. IIRC installation is about an hour of labor and costs $150. I think the $1100 installed was for the VF-3050, and your self-install cost was for the VS-3050.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 AM

They didn't actually quote me the model # when I asked. I assumed it was the cheaper VS model for both since I just asked the price for the Pentair variable speed pump installed and self install.

I'm checking back today and if they are in stock I'm getting the VS and going the self install route.

Quote:
I think you are getting the two Pentair Intelliflo pumps confused. The Variable Flow VF-3050 is about $1250 before rebate or $950 after rebate, and the Variable Speed VS-3050 is about $950 before rebate and $650 after. IIRC installation is about an hour of labor and costs $150. I think the $1100 installed was for the VF-3050, and your self-install cost was for the VS-3050.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas