Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:47 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,437,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaslocal55 View Post
You get a rep from me for that answer, tortoise. I can't believe how many people are answering this guy with points that've been made 100s of times in this forum the last few years....
out of boredem...maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 05:08 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,480,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
And the level of income in LV.
Well, that applies only to the people who shouldn't be buying a home to begin with, lol.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 PM

194 posts, read 398,421 times
If nobody asked variations of questions, this board would die fast if every topic had to be original. He said he was confused, possibly implying he did some previous reading.

The answer is simple really, more rich people in ny and la in a small proximity drive up prices. Supply and demand.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,764 times
Hey guys. Well the thing is if i move there, it isn't going to be for a job. I actually want to go there so i can gamble and bet sports and play poker. I made money from gambling but it was online poker and right now we cannot play anymore because of the governement. Not sure how many of you guys here are familiar with it.

My dream was to play online poker and live in las vegas so i can play live poker and gamble as well with online poker being my source of income. But i also wanted to go to las vegas because of how glamorous the life there is like that i always see and hear. I was just shocked at how little these house cost compared to new york.

But if i were to rent a place in one of these houses in summerlin, how much would you say it would cost per month? It would be basically only me there. I would have to assume i have to share the kitchen with that person as well right? Or there homes that are very similar to what i describe where it looks really nice but i could actually rent a floor where i get one bedroom, a kitchen, own bathroom and a living room as well? Those would be 2 family homes i assume? HOw much would that cost around?

These houses just look so rich and the prices just seems so little since i live in NYC.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,644,582 times
Being a Fellow NYker (and NO I DON'T WORK ON WALL STREET) I don't know how anybody can come here with the intention of 'gambling for a living' Now I know people on here do that, Hell one of the POSTERS HERE does that.. but maybe I am just old school and think you need to work, work for a living.. but .. if it works... (shrug)

I paid $135k for a three bedroom / 2 bath / and Pool
Prices are dirt cheap, and if you have the DOSH, you can get some SWEET places for 1/3 (or less) what a place in NY (boro, not even talking the city) would cost ya!

BUT if you come, bring enough to live a year without making any real $$

Jonathan

Old 07-07-2011, 07:19 PM

270 posts, read 535,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Most people in New York City work on Wall St and make over $100,000 or more. Most people here don't make that much if anything.

A fraction of NYC or NJ residents work on Wall Street. Certainly not "most people". That is a myth from....who knows. That said, housing in NYC is insane and beyond the reach of everyone I know. My sister lives in a gorgeous 2 x 2 in Brooklyn but married into money. It is under 900sf total and cost $850,000 in 2008! Crazy. PS: Her husband does not and never has worked in or around or in connection with Wall Street.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:24 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,868,502 times
You people are so mean. The OP has clearly just escaped from many years of imprisonment beneath a large rock. You should be congratulating the OP for his escape, but instead you respond with a bunch of snarky comments.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Being a Fellow NYker (and NO I DON'T WORK ON WALL STREET) I don't know how anybody can come here with the intention of 'gambling for a living' Now I know people on here do that, Hell one of the POSTERS HERE does that.. but maybe I am just old school and think you need to work, work for a living.. but .. if it works... (shrug)

I paid $135k for a three bedroom / 2 bath / and Pool
Prices are dirt cheap, and if you have the DOSH, you can get some SWEET places for 1/3 (or less) what a place in NY (boro, not even talking the city) would cost ya!

BUT if you come, bring enough to live a year without making any real $$

Jonathan
Actually macgeek I have sold or rented four places here to professional poker players two of which I think are filthy rich. Well one paid cash for a 200K house and the other had 1.2 million in his money market. That guy will keep it all too. One of the more frugal people I have ever met.

So don't jump to conclusions about our gamblers. Some make it pretty well.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,809,582 times
Olecapt is correct. People do make money gambling for a living. Other people gamble and supliment their income and others make so much a week and enjoy their winnings. Local folks need to realize how the housing market is on the east coast and outside of the high cost the taxes which go along with it. Now throw in the crappy weather and Vegas looks like a Garden of Eden. People who post negative stuff need to do a reality search and open their minds to others who are not from vegas and what they are seeking for answers. Las Vegas is not all doom and gloom. Many people read this form and they seek information about Las Vegas especially folks who want to retire there. Everyone should make a concerned effort to help these folk in a positive way and lay out a welcome mat for them. They are wanting the American dream also and Las Vegas offers it. So much for my lecture I hope I did not offend anyone.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 PM

83 posts, read 179,565 times
I know multiple people that play poker and a few sports bettor
that is there sole source of income and most of them are very
well off. At one time Panarama Towers had about 40 poker player
owners that lived there and quite a few rentors that were poker
players. Not sure what the numbers are like now The online poker
shut down has hurt a lot of them I am sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas