Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:55 AM

14 posts, read 80,217 times

Advertisements

Vegas does have an absurdly high rate of property crime...i don't see how that can be denied, and i think that's the major problem in this city

it is unfortunate because i love living here, but random people walking the streets of your community with sinister motives seems to be just a part of life here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 12:07 PM

229 posts, read 815,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
More silliness. Las Vegas is just about at the median for cities of more than 200K...which is quite good for a larger city. NLV is a little less and Henderson less than half Vegas. One of the top 10 cities in the US.

I have lived here a long time, and I swear that we get more than our fair share of property crime. It's going on in every neighborhood, I don't care where you live and how much you spend.

And that makes no allowance for the 100 of thousands of visitors here constantly who sometimes misbehave.

My complaint is the property crime. I don't think tourists are commiting these, maybe some transient types, which are attracted to Las Vegas like moths to a flame.

I believe the crime status in Las Vegas is too good to complain about...Too bad to advertise.

As to 89149 there is a well known clustering of crimes along major arterials such as Durango. The only home invasion I have come across anyplace near us was a mildly isolated cul-de-sac just north of Alexander on Durango. It was a random act driven by proximity to a major street.

We also live in the Rural Neighbrohood Preserve. We see so few cars and people that it is hard to imagine a crime problem. I leave things in plain sight in front of the house on occasion and have never lost anything. Our big problem tends to be kiids on motor bikes or ATVs setting off the dogs. You can even tell here when someone is moving around after dark by listening to the dogs.
I supsect that you and I might practically be neighbors. If so, I strongly suggest that you not be so cavalier with your possesions. Like I said, I have even had people in my backyard at night. I live on a short, unlit street that gets no traffic except for those who live on it and of course the regular criminal. I paid alot to live here, thinking that finally I don't have to worry about my things being looked over or taken, but quite honestly this has been my worst experience with property crime yet. It has sustained itself for almost six years. About ten years ago I had a place off Bonanza and Eastern. In two years I only had my bbq stolen. I can't even remember the last time I seen a kid or an ATV riding by. I suspect it's been construction workers on their way to work. The one guy I saw was likely a painter, and it seems to peak when construction is going on near us. Like you, I have a dog, so do my nieghbors and thier neighbors, but these guys are good. On more than one occasion things on our street have turned up missing and no one heard a peep. Just be careful with your stuff, we all work too hard to have some idiots taking it.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:09 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,536,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaire00 View Post
Vegas does have an absurdly high rate of property crime...i don't see how that can be denied, and i think that's the major problem in this city

it is unfortunate because i love living here, but random people walking the streets of your community with sinister motives seems to be just a part of life here
...which probably leaves one with general mistrust of the fellow person. Sad...in a city where so many come from somewhere else (and usually leave family and friends behind), they could really use a friendlier atmosphere to foster new relationships.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:00 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,536,967 times
Since we're on the topic of crime here...I was wondering why Las Vegas has so many registered sex offenders? If you go to this own site's main page, you can type in any US city for all kinds of information about that city, including the number of registered sex offenders.

When I type in Las Vegas, the area consists of 36 separate zip codes and shows that, in early 2007, there were 1,281 registered sex offenders for those zip codes. As comparison, I typed in New York, NY, which consisted of 65 zip codes. In early 2007, there were only 413 registered sex offenders for those zip codes.

Why so many in LV?

Old 08-09-2007, 04:59 PM

229 posts, read 815,711 times
I'm gonna do an impression: "Oh, Las Vegas doesn't have any more sex offenders than any other city. Check the list, we're right in the middle. Not too many, not too few. I live in the Northwest and no one here ever assualts anyone. Ask my neighbors. I leave my doors unlocked and my wife walks around nude all the time. Don't believe me, check the stats on my web page. The areas you see where there are a high number of sex offenders are areas where there is a prison, s the offenders you see are already incarcerated, making those stats worthless." Just kidding around.

Seriously, I'm not sure. I have my own theory, but it is factless so I'm sure it will be shot down. Maybe it's due in part to the transient nature of this city, they start out on Boulder Highway at a weekly rental type place, and if they don't get arrested right away or end up on COPS, they filter throughout the valley, or they just start out as teachers. That's a joke, and I'm sure gonna pay for it. Olecapt, help us out. Why do we have so many sex offenders here?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:51 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
NOw stop being a wiseass. You should know by know that I have a significant collection of statistics and sources....much of it driven by a year on this list. And here we just did two more....

Maybe it's due in part to the transient nature of this city,

Now let's see either of you provide actual numbers for your position. I have not looked recently at property crime but I have the numbers some where.

I have been looking for a source that says Las Vegas is transient. I can't find one. Lot's of reference to it on lists and even newspaper articles. A quick check says Las Vegas turns over at something like a 2% rate. That is not a transient community.

So comeon guys...put up or shutup.

I have not looked at molesters...but I would not be surprised to find they flock here particularly from CA. It is a pretty "let live" society.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Since we're on the topic of crime here...I was wondering why Las Vegas has so many registered sex offenders? If you go to this own site's main page, you can type in any US city for all kinds of information about that city, including the number of registered sex offenders.

When I type in Las Vegas, the area consists of 36 separate zip codes and shows that, in early 2007, there were 1,281 registered sex offenders for those zip codes. As comparison, I typed in New York, NY, which consisted of 65 zip codes. In early 2007, there were only 413 registered sex offenders for those zip codes.

Why so many in LV?
Could it be that more Sex Offenders REGISTER her then in other cities? Possibly we're toughter on them.....I don't know.....but I believe that there are as many S/O's in other areas [particularly Florida] and they just aren't registered........

Old 08-09-2007, 06:45 PM

14 posts, read 80,217 times
olecapt...stats don't tell the whole story

living in my neighborhood and being privy to information from neighbors reveals more...Summerlin may be the safest part of Vegas, but as far as undesirables breaking into cars and houses, it may well be East St. Louis

obviously the likelihood of getting clipped in a drive-by on Town Center isn't the same as it is on the alphabet streets, but the petty theft here is a big problem

i have never lived in Montana or some place like that where you can leave your doors unlocked, but this is really ridiculous...it's at the point where i reflect on going away for 2 weeks in March and i'm stunned that i wasn't burglarized...i'll leave my ipod in my car parked in front of my folks house in Santa Monica, but i won't even leave my sunglasses in my car parked in my garage in Summerlin

i have stats too from that article i posted...4 home burglaries and 20 car burglaries in one month in one subdivision in the Vistas is honestly abhorrent

Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaire00 View Post
olecapt...stats don't tell the whole story

living in my neighborhood and being privy to information from neighbors reveals more...Summerlin may be the safest part of Vegas, but as far as undesirables breaking into cars and houses, it may well be East St. Louis

obviously the likelihood of getting clipped in a drive-by on Town Center isn't the same as it is on the alphabet streets, but the petty theft here is a big problem

i have never lived in Montana or some place like that where you can leave your doors unlocked, but this is really ridiculous...it's at the point where i reflect on going away for 2 weeks in March and i'm stunned that i wasn't burglarized...i'll leave my ipod in my car parked in front of my folks house in Santa Monica, but i won't even leave my sunglasses in my car parked in my garage in Summerlin

i have stats too from that article i posted...4 home burglaries and 20 car burglaries in one month in one subdivision in the Vistas is honestly abhorrent

You ain't in Kansas anymore Toto!

Property crimes are under reported. But they are under reported more in inner city areas than where you live. The burglary rate says there are about 3 and 1/2 burglaries a month in the vistas. About the same as Sun city Summerlin. None of those old foggies are moving out over property crime.

You also don't go to the same Santa Monica I do. Mean time to get an Ipod swiped from a car in Santa Monica is less than 20 minutes.

I believe the statistic you quote came from...

"One neighborhood, just in April, had four doors kicked in and the houses burglarized and that same neighborhood in April (there) were twenty car break-ins," says neighborhood watch leader, Kris Emig. "

Now I am sure Kris Emig is a well qualified statistician with excellent credentials but I would still back check. Note that it could even be true...but irrelevant. A group of drunken teenagers randomly moves through a block and busts 20 cars in 20 minutes. Maybe stealing only mirror dice. It is still a one off event and statistically rare.

Back in old upstate NY I rmember a group of teenagers who were claimed to have run down over 120 mail boxes in an evening. If you counted each one as a burglary you could really one up the totals that week.

Sorry...where you live is vastly safer than Santa Monica...even good Santa Monica. I am sorry that something has spooked you...but that is what it is...you been spooked.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:24 PM

Hey just for fun...

Property crime rates 2005 from the FBI/DofJ Data Base.

Henderson 2861
Phoenix 6365
Las Vegas Metro 4838
Orlando FL 8667
St. Louis Mo. 11053.
Santa Monica 3950

I can't do one for Summerlin...but likely similar to Henderson...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas