Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,792 times

Advertisements

I have searched extensively and not only is there no way to view these cameras, I cant even find anything about them at all.

I know about the RTC cameras along the freeways and a few major intersections that can be viewed online, but I'm wondering about the cameras at literally almost every intersection with traffic lights in town.

We should have access to those cameras. Our tax dollars paid for them and we are tolerating being filmed by the authorities everywhere we go.

Anyone have any information on them? Is there interest in petitioning for public access to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 11:28 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,810,296 times

Old 06-30-2011, 12:34 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
Not at this moment.FAST has a lot of cameras offline due to construction.
RTC - FAST - Traffic Cameras

Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,636,281 times

That doesn't look like my big brother,
more like my uncle Phillip Moskowitz

Jonathan

Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Sounds stalkerish, and great for thieves - home burglaries, if those were available to the general public.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratemike View Post
i have searched extensively and not only is there no way to view these cameras, i cant even find anything about them at all.

I know about the rtc cameras along the freeways and a few major intersections that can be viewed online, but i'm wondering about the cameras at literally almost every intersection with traffic lights in town.

We should have access to those cameras. Our tax dollars paid for them and we are tolerating being filmed by the authorities everywhere we go.

Anyone have any information on them? Is there interest in petitioning for public access to them?

oh bullcrap!!!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 AM

322 posts, read 565,201 times
Quote:
...I'm wondering about the cameras at literally almost every intersection with traffic lights in town.
Most likely what you are assuming are cameras on the traffic lights are actually sensors to detect the presence on vehicles for the purpose of controlling the light signals. Old technology was to have inductive loops buried just under the street surface to detect the presence of vehicles. All the newer installations have sensors by the lights, which look very similar to cameras, to detect the vehicles. Obviously the "camera" style sensors have easier installation and maintenance advantages over the inductive loop method.

Quote:
We should have access to those cameras. Our tax dollars paid for them...
Our tax dollars pay for a lot of things that the public doesn't and shouldn't have access to use. The public should have access to know what was bought with our tax dollars, how much it cost, who approved the expenditure, how it will be used, etc, but not the right to demand use of those items ourselves simply because they were bought with tax dollars.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Sounds stalkerish, and great for thieves - home burglaries, if those were available to the general public.
I dont see how this would be useful to thieves? The rason I am looking into this is actually quite the opposite. Someone broke into my truck and destroyed my ignition key cylinder with a screw driver trying to steal it. Luckily they were not successful but they still stole tools from my back seat.

The same thing has happened to several of my neighbors recently, including thousands of $ worth of tools one of my neighbors uses daily for work. Always in the middle of the night. I have installed CCTV cameras on my home. Access the the cameras at the 2 intersections leading to my neighborhood might allow us to identify the vehicle next time it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV2ndHome View Post
Our tax dollars pay for a lot of things that the public doesn't and shouldn't have access to use. The public should have access to know what was bought with our tax dollars, how much it cost, who approved the expenditure, how it will be used, etc, but not the right to demand use of those items ourselves simply because they were bought with tax dollars.
Of course, but in this case where we are only talking about information (video streams) I see no argument against our access to it.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:35 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
since it was paid for with tax $$ I would advocate the release of the video....for a small fee to help recoup what was spent.....do ya REALLY wanna open THAT barrel of snakes?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:14 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
I dont see how this would be useful to thieves? The rason I am looking into this is actually quite the opposite. Someone broke into my truck and destroyed my ignition key cylinder with a screw driver trying to steal it. Luckily they were not successful but they still stole tools from my back seat.

The same thing has happened to several of my neighbors recently, including thousands of $ worth of tools one of my neighbors uses daily for work. Always in the middle of the night. I have installed CCTV cameras on my home. Access the the cameras at the 2 intersections leading to my neighborhood might allow us to identify the vehicle next time it happens.

Of course, but in this case where we are only talking about information (video streams) I see no argument against our access to it.
Well, burglars could case a house...know exactly where you are at all times in the city viewing that kind of website. It would be ideal for criminals. You could even see where police cars are located, or which ones were passing your way.

I could also see stalkers or people in failing marriages....monitoring those things religiously....monitoring another person's every move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas