Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:09 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,543,561 times

Advertisements

there are some great deals on Criagslist right now!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,157,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Z W and V... There are different SERIES. in which WALMART SELLS THE LOWEND. Even Costco sells the higher models... so no they were not identical...
I'm not going to go digging for the post I wrote months ago, but no, they were NOT different. They were IDENTICAL model numbers. That doesn't mean "different series," it means IDENTICAL. The prices were also almost identical, with Wal*Mart being $5-10 less.

Anyway, I'm not going to go any further with this tangent, as there are plenty of Wal*Mart threads for that. But I'm also not going to allow you to misrepresent what I said or claim that the information I posted was false or inaccurate. It wasn't.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:03 PM

1,825 posts, read 5,318,852 times
Target phased out a bunch of sets recently, around 10 different models, range of sizes. They may have a few remaining LCDs left, couldn't hurt to look or ask at a few stores. I scored a 55" LED backlit Vizio with a bluetooth slide out keyboard remote, built in wifi, ethernet, and Vizio apps (including Netflix and Hulu plus) for $900-ish after tax.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,036,241 times
that was a great deal... Vizio's are also excellent. If Davie was looking for a 37" lcd, i'd sell him mine... Bought it and it was too small.. Bought a 50" 2 weeks later.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 PM

I missed the part about needing financing.... Personally if I couldn't pay cash for it then I would save up until I could.

Another option is when you can pay it off within 25-days, put it on a credit card and pay it 100% off before the 25th day. Check the terms of your card first, all mine are 25 days interest free, but I'm sure others vary.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,174,529 times
Last I checked Plasmas were the cheapest, then LCD then LED.

Am I wrong? I have all three and remember the prices for each.

I know it depends on brand but every store I go into has a Plasma section that is cheaper than the rest of the updated TVs. Also, if you look on Craigslist you will notice that EVERYONE is getting rid of their Plasmas for cheap.

IMO Plasmas get too hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentmax View Post
I got my 42" Sharp Aquos at Best Buy by Boulevard Mall on Maryland Pkwy.

I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but I remember shopping around a bit, and thinking it was quite reasonable.

The only risky part was walking my brand new tv to the car, located at the far end of the parking lot, close to 9pm in that area
The Sharp Aquos LED at the BX on Nellis They are on sale if you know someone.

My wife's gift to me for buying a new home was a 60" Sharp Aquos(super thin). The damn thing is almost too big for our family room. Picture quality is superb. I had to go out and get the matching Sharp Blu Ray player and Sharp Sound Bar.

The best feature when you purchase matching brand name electronics(at least Sharp) is that they "talk" with each other. My TV knows when Im inserting a disc into the Blu Ray player and automatically switches my input mode for me AND turns my sound bar on to movie mode. When I plug in my USB hard drive to watch a movie on the player, My sound bar activates and the TV switches to the appropriate mode to view or listen to whatever is on my hard drive. I hardly need the remote.

Last edited by von949; 06-23-2011 at 10:01 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Last I checked Plasmas were the cheapest, then LCD then LED.

Am I wrong? I have all three and remember the prices for each.

I know it depends on brand but every store I go into has a Plasma section that is cheaper than the rest of the updated TVs. Also, if you look on Craigslist you will notice that EVERYONE is getting rid of their Plasmas for cheap.

IMO Plasmas get too hot.
Avoid Plasma. Plasma uses more electricity, generates a bunch of heat and the colors fade a ton. If you have seen a display plasma that has been on for a year, compare it with a new one and it will look almost black and white by comparison.

LED are LCD, but they use an LED backlight. The biggest advantage is that the blacks are blacker (previously about the only advantage that Plasma had over LCD).

Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,249,822 times
Buy a refurb PS3 at gamestop. Also consider buying used for an HDTV. The new LCD's seem like a good deal until you look at the specs and picture quality. CNET has in depth test and analysis. Contact some of the repair shops in town and see if they have resale HDTV's. You will end up with a much better TV for a whole lot less money. They can also tell you which TV's show up at their shop more often.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,174,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Avoid Plasma. Plasma uses more electricity, generates a bunch of heat and the colors fade a ton. If you have seen a display plasma that has been on for a year, compare it with a new one and it will look almost black and white by comparison.

LED are LCD, but they use an LED backlight. The biggest advantage is that the blacks are blacker (previously about the only advantage that Plasma had over LCD).
Even if they are the same technology, all stores have them seperated and priced differently.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,874,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Someone who is a plasma fan can refute that.

Quote:
That's only true for the sets with local dimming. A lot of sets just use edge-lit LEDs to make the frame thinner, and don't actually offer any picture improvement (I have one of these). It's usually the least expensive LED lit TV in the lineup. That said, you can still have a pretty good picture w/o local dimming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: