Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:55 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,028,049 times

Advertisements

How big is the yard? Bet there is a leak by the irrigation valve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 01:59 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,242,618 times
Standard drill. Open the water meter box. Look for the little red flow indicator on the meter. Should be standing still if you are not using any water. If it is moving start cutting off the valves to the house and yards. If it stops you know the leak or problem is on that leg. If all valves are closed and it still shows flow you have a leak on the feed to the house...a rather common and expensive little problem. The even worse problem is an underslab leak which generally involves replumbing part or all of the house. A bad sprinkler feed can do it but normally it has to be the main feed. You can't get that much water through a sprinkler valve.

If there is nothing wrong than you have to have a knock down with the water company. They do yield on these things but they can be very difficult.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:14 PM

29 posts, read 60,059 times
I know how to find your house. Just look for the greenest yard in Vegas!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:19 PM

9 posts, read 26,212 times
After I fixed the solenoids the water co say's the water usage is normal. I guess I'll find out what they think normal is on the next bill! Probably the bill after next since they did't let me know untill 12 days into the next billing cycle.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 26,212 times
I have a large yard but it's mostly concrete. A few shrubs, 3 palms and a small amount of grass, not enough to hide that kind of a leak. The grass is not reel green yet. It was very brown when I moved in. I think I could have watered the park with all the water they say I used!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:22 PM

687 posts, read 1,947,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I had that happen to our unoccupied house in Albuquerque while we were looking for a buyer. Wasn't $1550.00, but it was way too high, so I complained to them that they had to have made a mistake. I went even over to Albuq. and met a guy from the water company at the property, where I proved there was no leak, the realtor had been checking the property regularly. The thing that got them to drop it was when I told the guy that the amount of water they said we used was enough to fill my pool in Las Vegas two or three times, and if that much water had been running it would have flooded my yard, and several of my neighbors' yards. He agreed and I never heard another word.
Unfortunately what makes sense and worked in Albuquerque probably won't work in Las Vegas. I wish it would. Good luck dealing with LVVWD. They aren't accountable to anyone. You'll be lucky to get them to answer the phone. Worst service I've ever had from any water company - EVER.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:20 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,079,278 times
If it was a leak and not a billing error, you may be able to get a one time leak credit to reduce the bill. I'm not sure if LVVWD offers that, but I know Henderson does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondaq View Post
After I fixed the solenoids the water co say's the water usage is normal. I guess I'll find out what they think normal is on the next bill! Probably the bill after next since they did't let me know untill 12 days into the next billing cycle.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:53 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,600,817 times
Quote:
I just bought a house in las vegas 4/15/2011 and my 1st water bill was 1555 dollars. The house had 3 leaking sprinkler cylanoids but no standing water anywhere. I also have a pool but it does not have an auto-fill. How is this possible? Does anyone know what an average water bill should be? 3 bedroom 1306 sq ft, 3 residents??
We have a pool and we barely broke 100 when we refilled our pool...! Maybe you have a faulty meter?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz123 View Post
$1550.00? That would fill the pool of every house in the neighborhood.
lol!

Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I have a large yard but it's mostly concrete. A few shrubs, 3 palms and a small amount of grass, not enough to hide that kind of a leak. The grass is not reel green yet. It was very brown when I moved in. I think I could have watered the park with all the water they say I used!
We had a sprinkler pop just the other day...the right side of our yard was flooded and it was coming out the front of our fence. The leak had only been going for a few hours. The ground is so hard here a sprinkler leak is pretty easy to see. I would definitely question that bill. That's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas