Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,389,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyingWhenLow View Post
I know how to find your house. Just look for the greenest yard in Vegas!
And if there is a leak under the slab look for the house with a list to the starboard side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:39 PM

278 posts, read 792,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Standard drill. Open the water meter box. Look for the little red flow indicator on the meter. Should be standing still if you are not using any water. If it is moving start cutting off the valves to the house and yards. If it stops you know the leak or problem is on that leg. If all valves are closed and it still shows flow you have a leak on the feed to the house...a rather common and expensive little problem. The even worse problem is an underslab leak which generally involves replumbing part or all of the house. A bad sprinkler feed can do it but normally it has to be the main feed. You can't get that much water through a sprinkler valve.

If there is nothing wrong than you have to have a knock down with the water company. They do yield on these things but they can be very difficult.
any chance it could be a leak plus whatever unpaid water bill(s) and interest there were before rhondaq bought the home?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:47 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,906,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondaq View Post
I just bought a house in las vegas 4/15/2011 and my 1st water bill was 1555 dollars. The house had 3 leaking sprinkler cylanoids but no standing water anywhere. I also have a pool but it does not have an auto-fill. How is this possible? Does anyone know what an average water bill should be? 3 bedroom 1306 sq ft, 3 residents??
Something is not right with that. You could have a pool the size of Mandalay Bay and not get a bill that high!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,600,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
And if there is a leak under the slab look for the house with a list to the starboard side.
LOL...you are on a roll today!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:31 PM

654 posts, read 1,324,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_el View Post
any chance it could be a leak plus whatever unpaid water bill(s) and interest there were before rhondaq bought the home?
+1. That's what I'm thinking.

When I first moved to Chicago, I found a 700 sf apartment close to Wrigley Field. It wasn't even cold yet & the first heat bill comes - over $1000. Huh?

Peoples Gas, a corrupt bully of a company, insisted the bill was correct but couldn't prove someone came out to read the meter when I opened the account (they used an 'estimated' number). When I asked my landlord, I was told $30-40 was average that time of year. After a *lot* of digging, I learned that the previous tenant had skipped on my landlord & Peoples Gas tried to foot me with the bill. I got promises from one part of Peoples Gas that it would be resolved, then the collections/credit dept would start the whole mess a 2nd/3rd/4th time. Eventually, I had to take it to the Illinois Commerce Commission & threaten to sue them before they backed off - even then they tried to damage my credit! By the time it was resolved, we were able to show a progression of usage for a few months - the real bill would likely have been in the $25-30 range (I eventually settled for a little over that just to be done with it.) Basically, I was on the 'guilty until proven innocent' plan.

In my case, I prevailed but a lot of persistence & headache was involved. Something similar may have happened in your case. Did you have the water company read the meter when you took possession of the house? A leak may have caused $100-200 worth of water waste, but I'd expect serious flooding and/or foundation problems if you used as much water as quickly as they claim. My $.02, hope it helps.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:39 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,906,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
+1. That's what I'm thinking.

When I first moved to Chicago, I found a 700 sf apartment close to Wrigley Field. It wasn't even cold yet & the first heat bill comes - over $1000. Huh?

Peoples Gas, a corrupt bully of a company, insisted the bill was correct but couldn't prove someone came out to read the meter when I opened the account (they used an 'estimated' number). When I asked my landlord, I was told $30-40 was average that time of year. After a *lot* of digging, I learned that the previous tenant had skipped on my landlord & Peoples Gas tried to foot me with the bill. I got promises from one part of Peoples Gas that it would be resolved, then the collections/credit dept would start the whole mess a 2nd/3rd/4th time. Eventually, I had to take it to the Illinois Commerce Commission & threaten to sue them before they backed off - even then they tried to damage my credit! By the time it was resolved, we were able to show a progression of usage for a few months - the real bill would likely have been in the $25-30 range (I eventually settled for a little over that just to be done with it.) Basically, I was on the 'guilty until proven innocent' plan.

In my case, I prevailed but a lot of persistence & headache was involved. Something similar may have happened in your case. Did you have the water company read the meter when you took possession of the house? A leak may have caused $100-200 worth of water waste, but I'd expect serious flooding and/or foundation problems if you used as much water as quickly as they claim. My $.02, hope it helps.
"Peoples Gas"??? Is that like "Peoples Republic"?? That is what happens when you live under Communism! I thought peoples gas meant somebody farted!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 PM

541 posts, read 862,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
"Peoples Gas"??? Is that like "Peoples Republic"?? That is what happens when you live under Communism! I thought peoples gas meant somebody farted!
Hahaha! Good one!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 AM

930 posts, read 1,820,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I had a sprinkler valve fail to close (because it was on a drip, but it wasn't a low flow valve) and it leaked about 1.5 gpm for just over two weeks. That added up to 53,000 gallons of water (would fill your average 15k gallon pool three and a half times), and my water bill was about $200.

A leak as big as yours should be spinning the little triangle on the meter (not the needle) like crazy. First thing you should do is confirm the leak, and its magnitude. Is your yard large enough to hide a 330k gallon per month leak?

By the way, the word is "solenoid", not "cylanoid".

agreed...for that kind of bill you would probably see some sort of gusher, pool of water, or your pool would be empty without using an autofill. check the main water shutoff at the sidewalk. there has to be a main line break somewhere outside your house.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:13 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,149,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
agreed...for that kind of bill you would probably see some sort of gusher, pool of water, or your pool would be empty without using an autofill. check the main water shutoff at the sidewalk. there has to be a main line break somewhere outside your house.
OR more probably, a screwup by our ESTEEMED [low] Water Company.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:42 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,242,618 times
One other message here. You should also figure out what is going on before you fix anything.

The trouble here is LVVWD will now claim the water was being lost through the bad sprinklers. That is very unlikely but you have no evidence. So what you need to do, particularly with this big a bill, is figure out what is going on before repairing.

Just watch the meter for an hour. How much water was moving? If nothing is happening get the water company out to check the meter and verify that nothing is going on. You might also check it daily for a week or so and see what the usage actually is. You are trying to make a case that it did not happen and somebody got a number wrong.

Once you fix things the water company just presumes that you fixed the problem. And that it was your problem. They may still be nice and abate the bill somewhat but they will insist it is all your fault.

So CYA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas