Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:33 AM

34 posts, read 113,527 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I leave in 2 days to head out there. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the good radio stations are. I'm a bit spoiled being from Detroit (one of the best radio markets), but I'm hoping for good stations in these categories:

Indie/Alternative Rock
Classic Rock
Country
Rock
top 40

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 11:52 AM

183 posts, read 861,734 times
Since you are on the internet, you can sample several local stations by
selecting "web tv/radio" from the top of the site below (click on image):

http://vegas215.com/images/ad-Vegas215-5sec3x.gif (broken link)

Las Vegas Information Center • Las Vegas Locals Forums • Move to Las Vegas • Las Vegas Links • Las Vegas Blogs • Internet TV • Internet Radio • Las Vegas Locals

You can also find a list of Nevada radio stations here:

Nevada radio stations streaming live on the internet - US Live Radio

Old 08-05-2007, 06:56 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
It may be my age (I've felt for several years that R&R was dead), or it may be I'm right, but I have thought for, oh let me see...43 years...that radio in Vegas sucks. Please note that I worked in television here for most of those 43years. I sold for a radio station for a little over a year way back when, plus as an ad agency sales exec I purchased radio time for a year. But as a listener, I find that if I want to hear something new (rap & hip hop not included because I hate it), I listen to the Mexican stations. I don't know what they're singing about but at least it's new to me(except that I can pick out the word corazón which every Hispanic song contains at least once ). I don't follow the ownership and FCC rules, etc. anymore, but it seems to me that every local station is a Clear Channel automated cloned moldy oldies station. There are almost no local personalities except on talk radio which is assinine. The so called "news" station doesn't seem to have local reporters and not only don't really do news but don't seem to even know much about Las Vegas in particular or Nevada in general. Probably the only station that doesn't fall into the Clear Channel always play the same middle of the road music boring routine, is Jack FM. I think it's on 100.4 or close to that. I don't usually like country music but here lately I've been listening to 95.5 FM except I noticed that a couple of days in a row I was hearing the same old songs. So I guess they do it to. KNUV the UNLV station plays jazz almost exclusively except on weekends when they turn the mike over to ethnic groups for strange foreign music. At least they have live DJs who are mostly jazz musicains that volunteer for a shift or two each week. They are generally pretty knowegable and play pretty good jazz music most of the time. Some are kind of boring to listen to, but hey, they work for free. When I travel I marvel at how much better radio is in other cities. If you could still buy a radio station for $50,000 instead of $50 mil, I'd start my own station. What would I like to hear? I'd like to hear a southern style boogy, blues, and blue grass format like I can find on the net...No, really...I'm not kidding.

I hate Las Vegas radio.

There I feel all better now.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:12 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,960 times
Here's the country channel I liked:
New Country 95.5 KWNR

You can listen live from their site...

Old 08-05-2007, 08:57 PM

4 posts, read 14,617 times
That's a bummer. Here in Detroit we have some of the Clear Channel garbage but the number one rock station is still an independent "smaller" company, and we just a ton of stations in general. Guess I'll be listening to the wife's IPOD more once we're in Vegas.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:21 PM

229 posts, read 814,816 times
We don't have indepent or "indy" radio here. We have plenty of classic rock and mainstream rock for your enjoyment though. I gave up on traditional radio a few years ago when satalite radio came out. Way back in the day UNLV had some great indy rock hours, but that's all gone now. I don't listen anymore, but when I did there were the following "rock" stations:

92.3 modern, corporate, hard rock
96.3 classic rock
97.1 classic rock
107.5 modern corporate, hard rock
and I've seen ads for a station, AREA108, supposedly similar to 92 and 107, but I don't know because I haven't paid much attention to it or it's actual position on the dial. Based on it's name, it's probably 107.something.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:59 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
Sirus or XM I guess it will have to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2007, 06:55 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
buzz...gulfer is right. Sirius is the way to go. If you'd be willing to spend $50k for a station...you'll save much more if buy lifetime Sirius for $499 and have every imagineable station you'd ever want...no fade outs when you travel (the satellite beams everywhere) and most stations have no or little commercials. Trust me, once you go to Satellite radio, you will never go back. It is worth every cent.

My wife laughed at me when I gave her a Sirius radio and lifetime subscription for her birthday a few years ago. She now tells people it's the best gift I ever gave her!

If you love Howard Stern...he's even better on satellite!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:51 PM

49 posts, read 401,240 times
Sirius FOR THE WIN people!

97.1 the point if I happen to not have my Sirius with me (which is never).

Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
buzz...gulfer is right. Sirius is the way to go. If you'd be willing to spend $50k for a station...you'll save much more if buy lifetime Sirius for $499 and have every imagineable station you'd ever want...no fade outs when you travel (the satellite beams everywhere) and most stations have no or little commercials. Trust me, once you go to Satellite radio, you will never go back. It is worth every cent.

My wife laughed at me when I gave her a Sirius radio and lifetime subscription for her birthday a few years ago. She now tells people it's the best gift I ever gave her!

If you love Howard Stern...he's even better on satellite!
I don't want to spend $50k to listen to a station...I want to own it and run it my way. I didn't know Sirius was $499 for a lifetime though. Is that my lifetime or the radio's? I really can't stand creeps like Howard Stern though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: