Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 7,962 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I am looking for some advice about moving to Las Vegas. I am a school teacher. My first questions is: How are teaching jobs in Vegas? Are there teacher lay offs? Second: which area should I be looking at to find a rental house in a good area of Las Vegas/Henderson area? Any advice that you all could give would be great. This is a scary process. Thanks[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,528,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suefish View Post
[SIZE=3]I am looking for some advice about moving to Las Vegas. I am a school teacher. My first questions is: How are teaching jobs in Vegas? Are there teacher lay offs? Second: which area should I be looking at to find a rental house in a good area of Las Vegas/Henderson area? Any advice that you all could give would be great. This is a scary process. Thanks[/SIZE]
CCSD (the only school district in the valley) is laying off 2500-3500 people, mostly teachers and is currently on an austerity budget....

I'd either change your profession to something in the hospitality/tourism/customer service business (you might have better luck at gaining employment) or move to a city with a more robust, well funded school district than Las Vegas has right now.

Whatever you choose, best of luck to you!

Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,984 times
Default teacher opportunity

Good morning,

I am helping a private school to find a creative history teacher for middle school. These kids are very spot on, smart and fun to work with.

Let me know what kind of school and grade you are looking for.

Also, houses are easy to find in Vegas. Green Valley/Henderson is one of my favorite area (been here since 2001).

Looking forward to hearing from you

Britta

Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 AM

1,825 posts, read 5,338,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittaM View Post
Good morning,

I am helping a private school to find a creative history teacher for middle school. These kids are very spot on, smart and fun to work with.

Let me know what kind of school and grade you are looking for.

Also, houses are easy to find in Vegas. Green Valley/Henderson is one of my favorite area (been here since 2001).

Looking forward to hearing from you

Britta
Eh, if you were legit and decided to place a teacher for a school based on a single CD post from a first time poster (that lists zero qualifications) then perhaps teacher placement is NOT the right role for you. Being that this is your first post I'm calling BS anyway, so no harm in pretending I guess.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 7,962 times
I am a special education teacher. I can teach K-12. Right now I am at the high school level teaching special education as well as co-teaching world geograph and government.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 AM

12,909 posts, read 28,177,184 times
Nevada is not reciprocal with Alaska, Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin or any U.S. Territory except Guam for any teaching area other than special education, when allowed per regulation. Additionally, we are not reciprocal with any state for those areas which fall under Specialized Education Personnel or for endorsements that require a base license as a prerequisite for issuance.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:30 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,311,113 times
EDUMCASHIN.....We don need no stinkin EDUMCASHIN.....

Nevada has never[in the 50 years ive been here] felt that funding education was important....[if you can count to 21 without unzipping your fly youre hired]

I remember many years back....the TEACHERS UNION pushed VERY had to get the LIFO laws passed so that their jobs were protected and they didnt really have to work for a living.....NOW 40some years later its come back to bite em in the butt and they are NOW telling us how bad this law is and that teachers shoud be dumped if they arent qualified.....DUH We been tellin em that for years

Old 06-01-2011, 11:42 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,240,553 times
Lets bring on the state lottery.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:53 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,511,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
EDUMCASHIN.....We don need no stinkin EDUMCASHIN.....

Nevada has never[in the 50 years ive been here] felt that funding education was important....[if you can count to 21 without unzipping your fly youre hired]

I remember many years back....the TEACHERS UNION pushed VERY had to get the LIFO laws passed so that their jobs were protected and they didnt really have to work for a living.....NOW 40some years later its come back to bite em in the butt and they are NOW telling us how bad this law is and that teachers shoud be dumped if they arent qualified.....DUH We been tellin em that for years
LIFO does not "protect" anyone's job. It is simply a way to prevent management from firing teachers that reach the top of the pay scale to help balance budgets.
The only ones saying LIFO has to go are the right wing nutcases who think the financial crisis is a great excuse to engage in some easy union busting. They think because they cite a bunch of BS "studies" they can claim that senior teachers are all burned out and that new teachers are the second coming of the messiah.
And what exactly have WE been telling them about those EVIL teachers??

Old 06-01-2011, 12:04 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,819,342 times
We all know what the "oldest profession" is....Teaching is the second oldest profession. In CCSD, there is much more of a need for the oldest, and much less of a need for the second oldest......

CCSD is a total nightmare. Do yourself a favor and go to Phoenix, at least you will have a choice of which crappy school district to work in. Stick to something more productive like pizza delivery or marijuana cultivation--something that is appreciated and rewarding. Don't go where you are unwanted. You have to be a female with a Fred Flintstone haircut, and a New Yawk accent, just to get an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas