Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:38 AM

135 posts, read 438,680 times

Advertisements

Honest question. Just moved to LV from NY where water conservation is a concern, but not to the extent that it is out here. I want to conform and do what's best for this area but am honestly wondering is it better to use the water to clean the cans and recycle them or trash the cans without washing and save the water?
Thinking they'd have to be washed pretty thoroughly to avoid stinking in the LV heat especially since recycles only get picked up once every two weeks.

Any thoughts from long-term residents?

Thanks,
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:26 AM

687 posts, read 1,946,032 times
I know exactly what you mean as I was thinking about this very issue awhile back. Here's the way I handle it. I usually hand wash my dishes by hand to save water. I have a double sink and keep the water for rinsing in a plastic container in one of the sink bowls. After I finish washing the dishes, I then use the remaining water to rinse out the recyclables. It's usually soup cans or some plastics and the left over dish water is perfect. This way I haven't used any additional water and have gotten a second use out of the original water. Since it still has detergent in it, it gets the recyclables clean. I let them dry on a second dish rack I use just for recyclables and then put them in the bin to await pickup. It works good for me.

Good Luck.
Croce

Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,975 times
Republic Services does not require you to rinse your recyclables, but I always have, just to keep the crawling critters away from my red-white and blue recycle bins in the garage.

If you have city water, any water you use in the house goes down the drain and back to the recycling plant with it eventually going back into Lake Mead, but keep in mind, you are paying for that water to rinse your cans and bottles. Not a big expense for most. Thanks for being so concerned and wanting to do the right thing reagrding the water issue in the desert.

Here's some neat reading...

Las Vegas is the most water smart city in the country:

Fishman: Vegas Represents Brilliant Case Study in Water Management - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fishman-Vegas-Represents-dg-1906596309.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=9&asset=&cc ode= - broken link)

Last edited by MomMom; 05-26-2011 at 12:45 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 12:51 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
We usually rinse ours but don't get too carried away with it; although there is really no reason too. Depends on where you keep your recycles, and if you have one of those new covered containers. We honestly haven't recycled for a while because they kept skipping our neighborhood, and we'd end up carrying it all back in the garage until next time. Then our bins would be full and we'd have to use something else. And of course it's always windy on recycle day. When the neighbor told me a driver said they don't recycle it anyway, they dump it in the l;landfill, I said to he** with recycle. If they want me to recycle they'll provide a wheeled cart with a lid, and they'll actually pick it up like they're supposed to.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:26 PM

367 posts, read 1,074,486 times
I have been monitoring the recycle truck guy taking my red, white and blue bins, one after the other, and dump the all in the same receptacle on the truck, no sorting of any kind. Can't they just give us one big recycle bin? What a sham.

That being said, I find that unless you slosh something sugary in the bins, they don't require rinsing. The dry climate keeps my recycle from smelling, so far at least.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Interesting thread. I'm in Utilities and was very surprised at the volume of water in the shower at the Mirage when I was there a few weeks ago. It nearly knocked me over, as I'm used to our low-flow shower heads required by law here. Sounds like residents are conserving while hotels are not.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 4,802 times
This thread has great timing - I just popped on today to find out if anyone knows of a convenient way for APARTMENT dwellers to RECYCLE! I've never lived in a place that doesn't offer recycling bins or recycling pickup, so I'm at a loss as to where to put my recyclables (and my bags are stacking up)! I'm in the Paradise Valley (SE Vegas) area. Also, I'm assuming cardboard, cans, glass of all colors, and 1 & 2 plastics are all accepted?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-26-2011, 02:55 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,315,111 times
No need to wash the cans and no need to wait for recycling day! Just put your recyclable cans out on the curb and they will be picked up by the needy or low-end entrepreneurs.

link >> https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...-should-i.html

Old 05-26-2011, 04:13 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,296,262 times
I always thought cans and things hard to clean would have to be cleaned before going into the recycling bin, and so I thought if they want it, they can clean it themselves, so into the trash the cans go. They won't take glass recycling and thats one thing they SHOULD be taking, so into the trash that goes too.
We are on the once a week pickup, where all recycling goes into the blue lid bin, the trash goes into the black lid bin.
They are profiting on the recycling and should be paying us once a week to get it, but they don't.
California had a better recycling system. You could load up glass, plastic, paper and take it yourself and they pay you. It wasn't a lot, but it helped now and then. And nice to be rid of it too.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:39 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I always thought cans and things hard to clean would have to be cleaned before going into the recycling bin, and so I thought if they want it, they can clean it themselves, so into the trash the cans go. They won't take glass recycling and thats one thing they SHOULD be taking, so into the trash that goes too.
We are on the once a week pickup, where all recycling goes into the blue lid bin, the trash goes into the black lid bin.
They are profiting on the recycling and should be paying us once a week to get it, but they don't.
California had a better recycling system. You could load up glass, plastic, paper and take it yourself and they pay you. It wasn't a lot, but it helped now and then. And nice to be rid of it too.
I thought you lived in Las Vegas, Pink. We get a white bin for paper, a red one for plastic and aluminum, and a blue one for glass. (Or is it blue plastic, and red glass?) I don't really think it matters anymore which bin you use since they mix it all together now. They are experimenting in some communities with providing a wheeled cart for all recycles and another one for garbágé. That's what my daughter has. I think the community has to ask for it, and I think they only pick up once a week instead of two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas