Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 05:36 PM

12 posts, read 43,886 times

Advertisements

What are somethings I should look for when choosing a home inspector? What is the average price for a home inspection. I know my Realtor has one in mind but I was thinking of doing my own research. Any help from you guys would be very much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 07:47 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,650,756 times
home inspectors run about $250, but I have not had any stellar experience with any.
All of them give you a 30 page report with 2 pages of relevant data - I really recommend you BE THERE when the inspector shows (if you can) to ask questions.

DON'T USE "Spectrum Home Inspectors" (the one that I used)

Jonathan

Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,832,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putthebottledown View Post
What are somethings I should look for when choosing a home inspector? What is the average price for a home inspection. I know my Realtor has one in mind but I was thinking of doing my own research. Any help from you guys would be very much appreciated!!
Do it yourself and save the $400 bucks. Buy a home warranty policy instead.

All the home inspectors do is LOOK at the house. Run all the appliances and see how old the hot water, AC system, roof, etc. If you are totally clueless about houses, then get a relative or friend to help you.

Your best bet is to go to the library and check out a book on home inspections and read it cover to cover.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:25 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Do it yourself and save the $400 bucks. Buy a home warranty policy instead.

All the home inspectors do is LOOK at the house. Run all the appliances and see how old the hot water, AC system, roof, etc. If you are totally clueless about houses, then get a relative or friend to help you.

Your best bet is to go to the library and check out a book on home inspections and read it cover to cover.
When you need your knee replaced go to the library and read how to do it.. You will save thousands of dollars if you or are close friend do it yourself..

If you have a reasonable background in residental construction you don't need an inspector...though you might choose to have on if certain things are wrong.

In the last 100 hundred deals I have had three or four buyers who did not need an inspector...but all chose to have one.

Unless you know your way around the local residental construction industry you probably shoud use the agents inspector.

YMMV

Old 05-14-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
When you need your knee replaced go to the library and read how to do it.. You will save thousands of dollars if you or are close friend do it yourself..

If you have a reasonable background in residental construction you don't need an inspector...though you might choose to have on if certain things are wrong.

In the last 100 hundred deals I have had three or four buyers who did not need an inspector...but all chose to have one.

Unless you know your way around the local residental construction industry you probably shoud use the agents inspector.

YMMV
ROTFLMAO. How in the world did you get from equalizing a home inspection with knee surgery? Now I would agree with you if a home inspector had to have a 4 year college degree followed by a 4 year graduate school followed by several years of more training.

I would agree that if the inspectors gave a warranty as to their inspections they might be worth the money, but they don't.

Inspectors ONLY inspect things that they can see. period.

I have bought 3 houses and never had an inspection on any of them.

If you do have a home inspection, make sure the inspector is not a former real estate salesman.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:54 AM

411 posts, read 917,085 times
A home warranty you buy on a used home doesn't cover everything and doesn't cover pre-existing problems, so it isn't a substitute for an inspection.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:24 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,811,084 times
I believe Olecapt was refering that everthing can not be read in a book. Buying a house is a very big decision like Knee surgury sometimes it is better to let the experts handle it. Friends like to help but it's not their money or headache afterwards. Stick with the proven way vs trying to save a few dollars. Be there if possible when it is done so you can ask questions or point out stuff you feel is in questions. Good luck

Old 05-15-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
A home warranty you buy on a used home doesn't cover everything and doesn't cover pre-existing problems, so it isn't a substitute for an inspection.
a home inspection doesn't cover anything. the pre-existing problems exclusion is only for like the first 60 days.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
I believe Olecapt was refering that everthing can not be read in a book. Buying a house is a very big decision like Knee surgury sometimes it is better to let the experts handle it. Friends like to help but it's not their money or headache afterwards. Stick with the proven way vs trying to save a few dollars. Be there if possible when it is done so you can ask questions or point out stuff you feel is in questions. Good luck
Yes, buying a house IS a big decision and that is why it is best for the future home owner NOT to rely on so-called "experts". The question is not saving a few dollars as not wanting to gain a basic understanding of what a home inspection is all about.

Read and understand a book on home inspection and most people can do their own. At least they will be better able to evaluate the qualifications of any home inspector that they hire.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:01 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Ever try to get a warrantee from a surgeon?

For major appliances particularly air conditioners the inspection report is crucial. The standard defense for the first year is that it was inoperative before the contract or improperly maintained. And if you don't have an annual service call on your AC expect the warrantee company to turn down the claim.

A very large percentage of the time the inspector finds nothing of interest and certainly nothing a capable buyer could not find on their own. But one time in twenty something pops.

If it is a difficult house the inspection report gives you the check list to call in the contractors to quote what needs to be done.

And no you won't get it out of reading a single book or even a couple. You need to have done a few hundred before you are really qualified for the job.

As I said if you have the skills and knowledge you could do your own...but those that have that skill set generally chose to use an inspector.

As an example I just sold a down size home to a major LV contractor. He could have done his own. He was in fact in there with his son doing the plans to gut and revise part of the home while buying it. But he chose to have it inspected considering the detail checks worth the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas