Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 9,876 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of buying a house for rental purposes. I consulted with a property manager to help in selecting a house. I chose two in the Paradise Hills area, one is 2000 sq ft across the road from school/park. the other is about .8 mile from closest school (both have good ratings) and 2800 sq ft. They are both around the same price. My PM says the big house will rent higher and just as consistently as the one across from the school, it seems to me location is more import? Any thoughts to help my decision...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,012,706 times
More importantly is Amt of bedrooms. To be positive cash flow you should be at 120k or less for the house. You will see about 1300 a month in rent

Old 03-31-2011, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the reply - that is my gut instinct as well. I don't see renters saying I don't care about anything but the square footage?? PM says amount of bedrooms doesn't matter - figures the 2800 sq foot house (which does have 4 nice size bedrooms) will rent between 1550 - 1650/month. Very reputable PM firm, but worried they are cookie cutting everything! You said a $120,000 house for positive return, but according to the square footage thinking, it would be more $/sq ft based?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:09 PM

699 posts, read 2,220,675 times
1. we, would never rent a house across from a school, due to traffic and activity.
2. as renters, it baffles us when we ask potential LL's for the sq.ft of a property, and
they don't know. we find it more in condos and apts, rather than houses. this is pertintent
information. every LL should know this and disclose it as well as the dimensions of
each BR, the LR, Kitchen, and any other large room (den, patio, etc).
3. we'd rent the house 1 mile away.

ymmv

Old 03-31-2011, 12:39 PM

458 posts, read 1,671,617 times
Square footage would matter more to us. To be in a school zone, YUCK. (And we even have school aged children. I HATE the 15 mph school zones, although I understand them.)

So for me, I'd rent the 2800 footer much sooner than the one by the school.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the input! Never thought of the increased traffic when your trying to go to work or the slow zone. This forum is great to bounce ideas off others!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,777,887 times
I was until I retired a commercial real estate broker, and managed a lot of houses.

Across from school is not an advantage anywhere. Traffic, Noise, and there is more vandalism and property damage that close to a school. Not meaning the kinds want to damage the property, but the go up onto the property when in bunches, drop more trash, etc.

Across from a school makes a home harder to sell, when you eventually want to sell it.

Consider only buying a rental in Vegas at this time, if you can get it about 15% to 20% under the current market. Prices declined about 9.8% last year, and will decline this year.

Information gathered from Trulia the best place to follow things like this.

The median sales price for homes in Las Vegas NV for Dec 10 to Feb 11 was $120,000 based on 13,371 home sales. Compared to the same period one year ago, the median home sales price decreased 9.8%, or $12,988. There are currently 12,394 resale and new homes in Las Vegas,as well as 36,573 homes in the pre-foreclosure, auction, or bank-owned stages of the foreclosure process.

In other words, there are 3 times as many homes in foreclosure, bank owned early states of foreclosure, etc., as currently on the market. Those houses plus the ones currently on the market, is a 4 year supply. The city is going to soon be flooded with an oversupply. Las Vegas has been estimated to take at least 10 years for the real estate market to turn around. The reason for the glut in foreclosure, is that the government got things stalled on foreclosures while making new rules, and trying to find way for people to keep from losing their homes. Now the foreclosures are hitting fast and furious, and the above numbers will be added to this year.

If I was advising one of my former clients, it would be not to buy unless they could get it for 15% to 20% under the market, and then be very choosy.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:21 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,513,769 times
Location, location...and location.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:08 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,012,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie1616 View Post
Thanks for the reply - that is my gut instinct as well. I don't see renters saying I don't care about anything but the square footage?? PM says amount of bedrooms doesn't matter - figures the 2800 sq foot house (which does have 4 nice size bedrooms) will rent between 1550 - 1650/month. Very reputable PM firm, but worried they are cookie cutting everything! You said a $120,000 house for positive return, but according to the square footage thinking, it would be more $/sq ft based?
unless its in summerlin, green valley etc.. i doubt you will see 1550-1650.. at that price point, people BUY. Even if you are lucky at 1500, figure 1st month to pm, 10% to pm.. you are at 1225 average.

unless the home has a pool.. its not going to happen imo... and at that price, how long will the home be vacant prior to rental...

i've been showing homes at 100k in nlv, that rent for 1200.. why would i recommend this area, it rents easy.. i have a rental in the complex also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas