Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:38 PM

83 posts, read 179,522 times

Advertisements

I have seen many threads complaining about Nevada's high Auto insurance rates. According to the linked article it is actually ranked 39 cheapest.

Auto Insurance Costs: Where Does Your State Rank?- Yahoo! Autos Article Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 08:18 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,030,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfanga View Post
I have seen many threads complaining about Nevada's high Auto insurance rates. According to the linked article it is actually ranked 39 cheapest.

You're operating from a false premise. The complaints have been about car insurance rates in Las Vegas specifically, not Nevada in general. As an example, DC is listed in that chart as the 5th most expensive and Nevada as 39th, yet my insurance costs went up dramatically when I moved from DC to LV last year.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 PM

787 posts, read 1,777,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfanga View Post

Well, my car insurance dropped by more than 1/3 when I moved from NJ to Vegas. Same carrier, cars, drivers, coverage, etc.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 PM

112 posts, read 316,449 times
Our car insurance went up several hundred dollars every six months. We moved from Illinois and pretty much knew it would be higher here.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:06 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,716,508 times
Its not just Las Vegas in general, it is the actual zip code you move to and there are other factors. Seems to depend on individual cases rather than generalization. My insurance is cheaper here than CA, but only by a little. I know its not the case for everyone.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:00 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,894,760 times
Reno and Carson City have very low rates. Its all about the LV Valley and its high rate of car theft and insanely high rate of uninsured drivers. Even though the state watches over drivers like a hawk to make sure they are insured, there are still a sky high number of cancellations and even higher rate of uninsured from out of state who haven't registered yet in Nevada.

Only places with higher rates are bad zips in areas with high theft and those from states with no-fault systems like NJ.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:32 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,716,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Reno and Carson City have very low rates. Its all about the LV Valley and its high rate of car theft and insanely high rate of uninsured drivers. Even though the state watches over drivers like a hawk to make sure they are insured, there are still a sky high number of cancellations and even higher rate of uninsured from out of state who haven't registered yet in Nevada.

Only places with higher rates are bad zips in areas with high theft and those from states with no-fault systems like NJ.
If you read the article, MI has high rates because the insurance companies have to pay out a lot of money because of the laws on the books when it comes to personal injury claims. I think insurance companies pay out more on personal injury than actually having to fix cars or replace them. Some states also have natural events like hail and other freaks of nature such as tonadoes and floods. I think Las Vegas is high, but not unusual compared to some of the cities in CA I have lived in where these problems also exist (high car theft, accident rates and a lot of uninsured motorists)

Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scociny View Post
Our car insurance went up several hundred dollars every six months. We moved from Illinois and pretty much knew it would be higher here.
We moved from Illinois (Chicago) & our auto insurance went down slightly. Newer vehicles & full coverage, too. Good credit & homeowner discount, in case that matters (same in Illinois).

YMMV.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM

12 posts, read 29,783 times
This is correct I was shocked that we were so low.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,894,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzydee View Post
This is correct I was shocked that we were so low.
You must have lived in one of the bad no-fault states or the middle of a large city. People coming from Orange County or suburban San Diego pay 10-15% less than Las Vegas and those aren't exactly cheap insurance zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas