Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 4,569 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Vegas! We have a house to sell in our current town, so we will rent before buying a new home in either Summerlin or Henderson. Ill be working on the strip.

We need to find a place to move into in 2 weeks. So there is not mcuh time. are there realtors or other services that help find rental homes that are legit? We might be in it 1 month, or even 6, all depends on when the current home sells, so issues like leases breaking fees, month to month renting, etc are important. Im looking in the 900-1300 a month range, and would like it to be nice enough to stay in for the long term just in case the current house doenst sell quickly. 2-3 BR, 2 garage, ~2004+ build year are the most important factors.

Anyone have any advice on how to start? Ill be in vegas next week with a rental car, just scouring the city and looking at homes. There are so many to look at, but so little time to make a big decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
try an apartment.... if you rent a house and break the lease, you are liable until the house is re rented (if and when).. most if not all landlords want a 12 month lease, 6 is rare.... don't bother calling a property management company, they charge the home owner a full month's rent to find a tenant, so unless you guarantee a year, you are out of luck there...

Old 02-17-2011, 01:20 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wontonies View Post
We are moving to Vegas! We have a house to sell in our current town, so we will rent before buying a new home in either Summerlin or Henderson. Ill be working on the strip.

We need to find a place to move into in 2 weeks. So there is not mcuh time. are there realtors or other services that help find rental homes that are legit? We might be in it 1 month, or even 6, all depends on when the current home sells, so issues like leases breaking fees, month to month renting, etc are important. Im looking in the 900-1300 a month range, and would like it to be nice enough to stay in for the long term just in case the current house doenst sell quickly. 2-3 BR, 2 garage, ~2004+ build year are the most important factors.

Anyone have any advice on how to start? Ill be in vegas next week with a rental car, just scouring the city and looking at homes. There are so many to look at, but so little time to make a big decision.
Well a guicky lesson in rental real estate.

Month to month or any leases of less than a year are difficult to find. Less than 10% will go less than a year...less than 3% for less than 6 months. Short leases often want a premium rental.

Most of nice Henderson and Summerlin was built before 2004.

$1300 will probably be OK for a small home. Pretty much alll will otherwise met your spec.

You should also consider town houses which will likely be more available on a shorter lease.

Kids? They make quite a difference where you want to end up.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 PM

932 posts, read 2,348,573 times
One possible option, depending on your landlord: If you have a sufficient supply of cash available, offer to pay all six months upfront if he'll give you a six-month lease. Not every landlord will agree to that, but mine did when I moved here and rented before I bought. You get the shorter lease you want, he gets the comfort of knowing you're paid up for half a year.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Kids? They make quite a difference where you want to end up.
Thanks for your input! No kids now, but at least one is in the plans in the next couple years. Just one pet, a cat, but he needs his own space, due to family member allergies.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
One possible option, depending on your landlord: If you have a sufficient supply of cash available, offer to pay all six months upfront if he'll give you a six-month lease. Not every landlord will agree to that, but mine did when I moved here and rented before I bought. You get the shorter lease you want, he gets the comfort of knowing you're paid up for half a year.
Good idea, I will def. keep this in mind. I just dont want to rush a home purchase, so Im anticipating at least a month to really undersatnd the different regions of vegas, or im a bit at the mercy of coworker and realtor input. Luckily, at this time we wont have to worry about kids and the schools

Old 02-17-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontonies View Post
Good idea, I will def. keep this in mind. I just dont want to rush a home purchase, so Im anticipating at least a month to really undersatnd the different regions of vegas, or im a bit at the mercy of coworker and realtor input. Luckily, at this time we wont have to worry about kids and the schools
I ended up renting for a full year before I bought, and it was the best decision I could have made. I spent a lot of time familiarizing myself with all areas of the valley, which helped me decide not only where I might want to buy but, just as important, where I knew I wouldn't want to buy. Put in the time researching the area and you'll benefit.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:41 PM

47 posts, read 74,785 times
Quote:
I ended up renting for a full year before I bought, and it was the best decision I could have made. I spent a lot of time familiarizing myself with all areas of the valley, which helped me decide not only where I might want to buy but, just as important, where I knew I wouldn't want to buy. Put in the time researching the area and you'll benefit.

Good luck.
Where did you chose to rent? Was it a good choice...I'm looking also so wouldnt mind the tip

Old 02-17-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle Cliff View Post
Where did you chose to rent? Was it a good choice...I'm looking also so wouldnt mind the tip
I found a small house in Spring Valley through Craigslist. The owner had one rent figure in mind, which was more than my budget allowed. I offered him a lower amount for six months, all in advance, and he took it. It worked out well for both sides.

The house was near Spring Valley Hospital (Rainbow and Hacienda).

Old 02-18-2011, 12:15 AM

848 posts, read 1,724,707 times
Quote:
I found a small house in Spring Valley through Craigslist. The owner had one rent figure in mind, which was more than my budget allowed. I offered him a lower amount for six months, all in advance, and he took it. It worked out well for both sides.

The house was near Spring Valley Hospital (Rainbow and Hacienda).
There are many areas of Spring Valley that are decent and I used to reside near the Spring Valley Hospital as well. Speaking of Spring Valley, I drove by Tropicana and Decatur, the "older" part of Spring Valley, the construction of the Charlie Frias Park is on full swing. This park will be an excellent addition in the community. The abundance of parks in Spring Valley is what I like the most about the area plus the convenient location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas