Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 07:16 PM

47 posts, read 234,135 times

Advertisements

We r moving to las vegas by mid august. My husband's company has its headquarters here and he was doing a lot of traveling back and forth from Atlanta.Traveling from coast to coast is getting very hectic for him and we've decided to move here. I have a 5 yr old who would be starting kindergarten. Schooling is our main priority. Once we decide on that we can look for apartment or condo in that school zone.
Please..please send your thoughts on the following elementary schools:
Selma f batlett , john Vanderburg , frank lamping and neil Twitchell.
We r even considering private schools. Which is THE BEST PRIVATE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL?
If we decide on public schools, should i enroll my son in private tutorials like Kumon , score or some such things?
Any input is greately appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 07:32 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,225,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali74 View Post
We r moving to las vegas by mid august. My husband's company has its headquarters here and he was doing a lot of traveling back and forth from Atlanta.Traveling from coast to coast is getting very hectic for him and we've decided to move here. I have a 5 yr old who would be starting kindergarten. Schooling is our main priority. Once we decide on that we can look for apartment or condo in that school zone.
Please..please send your thoughts on the following elementary schools:
Selma f batlett , john Vanderburg , frank lamping and neil Twitchell.
We r even considering private schools. Which is THE BEST PRIVATE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL?
If we decide on public schools, should i enroll my son in private tutorials like Kumon , score or some such things?
Any input is greately appreciated.
Well you got number 1,2, 10 and 15 of the 190 schools in Las Vegas.

The Meadows School and a couple of Catholic Schools are probably as good but no better. You can also look into Henderson International...which is probably almost as good as the public schools for $12,000 per year.

Note that the problem you may find is that rentals in those school district may be hard to come by or expensive.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:26 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,692,005 times
Its not hard to find rentals in Green Valley Ranch, its hard to find a good rental in Green Valley Ranch, one that isn't ruined by renters or EVEN the landlord...

Old 07-22-2007, 05:51 PM

278 posts, read 1,084,567 times
Before I moved here, those were the schools we were looking at. We also thought about renting. There are no homes (well there could be, but wasn't at the time) to rent in any of those schools. I found the Green Valley to be splotchy in schools. One side of the street you could be districted for a good school, the other side you could be stuck in a crummy school. Have you thought about the 9 month vs 12 month school out here? Lamping is a 12 month school, with breaks every 9 weeks. If you have more than 1 child, when one goes to middle school they can be on completely separate vacation schedules since middle schools are on the 9 month schedule. Also if you live under 2 miles to any of the schools they are required to walk or you drive. Personally, 1.5 miles, during May and August/September it is way to hot to walk at 3:30 in the afternoon. Depending where you pick to live, the child may have to cross very busy intersections.
Some of the elementary schools (not sure if any of the ones you list) offer all day kindergarten. I have my 5 year old set for that in the fall. Cost's $300 a month, which is much cheaper than day care for the half days.
I do not know what schools are like in Atlanta, but I found the schools here to be a few months behind where we were in OH. I'm assuming all states and cities have different curriculums.
You can not depend on schools alone to educate your child though. A lot of work needs to be done at home also. My older son was required to read 20 minutes a day in OH, here they told him 10 minutes. Like I was going to let that happen. In fact I usually make him read 30-40 minutes minimum.
I think you should give a school a chance before you enroll your child in a program like Kumon's. You might be surprised at how much you child is learning.
Someone on this forum once told me that you should also investigate the middle and high schools too. I am glad I did, because back to the side of the road you live on, your child could end up at a completely different middle/high school than most of their friends.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:48 AM

8 posts, read 17,497 times
What area did you choose, and which school is in the district. Moving from Atlanta in June 2009 with first grader and 4 year old. Are there any rentals in Green Valley at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: