Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 AM

27 posts, read 66,840 times

Advertisements

Heh, interesting seeing others' perspective on money. $5 a day for Subway = roughly $150 a month. That's most of my average food budget.

I'm curious how well a disabled person with no car (but walkin' feets) would do in LV on a housing voucher and just over $500/mo after rent is paid? I have heard good rumors about Nevada social services in general, and from the looks of it, they're accepting anybody who wants to "port in" with a voucher. Vegas has my kind of climate, weatherwise, and I am very used to not eating out / cooking for myself. I'm researching several cities/states... but... yeah. Watchathink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:06 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,010,191 times

Old 02-25-2011, 01:41 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_shane View Post
Heh, interesting seeing others' perspective on money. $5 a day for Subway = roughly $150 a month. That's most of my average food budget.

I'm curious how well a disabled person with no car (but walkin' feets) would do in LV on a housing voucher and just over $500/mo after rent is paid? I have heard good rumors about Nevada social services in general, and from the looks of it, they're accepting anybody who wants to "port in" with a voucher. Vegas has my kind of climate, weatherwise, and I am very used to not eating out / cooking for myself. I'm researching several cities/states... but... yeah. Watchathink?
Where did you hear about Nevada's excellent social services? I've always heard the opposite.

I certainly notice a lot of people who need the state to provide for them, who want to relocate to Nevada. But I've seldom ever heard that that has worked out for them.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:50 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,642,248 times
$150 per month first off is nothing. Second $5 for a pretty huge meal is pretty unbeatable. If you bought your own ingredients you still wouldn't save money, not for one person. At least not at my grocery store! It'd be at least as expensive and more time consuming. Plus I only eat two meals a day plus snacks. One is cereal, cheap. Anything under $20/day in food costs is cheap though.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Where did you hear about Nevada's excellent social services? I've always heard the opposite.

I certainly notice a lot of people who need the state to provide for them, who want to relocate to Nevada. But I've seldom ever heard that that has worked out for them.
Heard it from someone who doesn't live there, wonder where they heard it from now. O.o

As to food costs, heh... I'm way below poverty level, and can still get some things at "expensive" places like Whole Foods. You just needa shop wisely. Buy meat in larger quantities for technically-less. I also eat a lot of cheap basic food like eggs, corn tortillas, rice, and boring-as-heck puffed rice cereal which is actually one of the few cereals I can eat (in reality my food allergies keep me away from so much food, it's just plain not a temptation to spend more on things I obviously can't eat but almost everyone else can). $20/day food costs would be nearly all of my monthly income.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:04 PM

787 posts, read 1,777,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_shane View Post
Heard it from someone who doesn't live there, wonder where they heard it from now. O.o

As to food costs, heh... I'm way below poverty level, and can still get some things at "expensive" places like Whole Foods. You just needa shop wisely. Buy meat in larger quantities for technically-less. I also eat a lot of cheap basic food like eggs, corn tortillas, rice, and boring-as-heck puffed rice cereal which is actually one of the few cereals I can eat (in reality my food allergies keep me away from so much food, it's just plain not a temptation to spend more on things I obviously can't eat but almost everyone else can). $20/day food costs would be nearly all of my monthly income.

Not to get personal, but I'm curious about your situation. Why are you making that little? You can clearly express yourself just fine, spell, capitalize, and punctuate... That's better than most people I deal with (and pay) in a business capacity every day. I'm guessing from your prior post that you're disabled in some respect, but it doesn't seem like that would prevent you from getting a work-from-home computer-oriented job, given your obvious proficiency. Can you only work a couple hours a day or something?

Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 PM

Heh I don't mind talking about it. It's actually a pretty nasty and debilitating combination of mental health issues, physical issues, and migraines. I couldn't even handle the last job I tried (I've done other jobs over the years but after things really went to heck, I tried one more time). It was almost tailor made for me, a web design / image manipulation small business involving only two other people. The stress of just having working responsibilities and trying to keep any sort of schedule is too much. I get migraines from it, which make me miss work, which stress me out more, and it's a vicious cycle. Believe me, if I could handle working, I would. I almost destroyed myself trying not to believe I couldn't support myself. I'm doing okay now after rebooting life, and I do actually write... but I'd rather share my gifts with others for free (capitalism and I don't much get along ^^; ). Even fun writing projects are highly subject to my brain being cooperative and even those fun things can stress me out. So life is different now... but it's okay. I'm not an "I have to have a lot of stuff" person, and I enjoy the things I do have and with the way I manage my money, I can still get fun things anyways. ^_~

Old 05-09-2011, 10:35 AM

9 posts, read 17,763 times
A Great move is to Las Vegas Nevada if you are SINGLE!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 AM

9 posts, read 17,763 times
Las Vegas NEVADA is not a place for small children! Point- Blank!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:59 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,478,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby1422667 View Post
Las Vegas NEVADA is not a place for small children! Point- Blank!

YES, if you want to party on the Las Vegas Strip and in all the tourist areas, leave the kiddies at home and especially those baby strollers, and don't keep your kids up crying and screaming at 1:30 am while you're walking up and down the Las Vegas Strip on YOUR vacation either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: