Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 03:29 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Seven tons of total cooling would be about right, say five tons for the rest of the house and two for the master suite.

You've got a packaged system, possibly a gas pack. I'm not familiar with the costs, except that they're more expensive than split systems. But the cost you're insuring against is still more likely repair cost and not replacement cost.
Youve got that one backwards. A packaged unit changeout runs less, if your counting all three parts of a split system. Conndensor, coil and furnace (air handler)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I'm assuming a split system, where the compressors sit on the ground, not a packaged system, where all the equipment is on the roof.

A 3.5 ton compressor (a 2800 square foot home would have two of these) could go for anywhere from $1800 to maybe $5500. The cheapest would be something like a Goodman A/C compressor, the most expensive would be the top of the line heat pump from Trane or Carrier. Best bang for the buck would be a moderate efficiency American Standard heat pump (owns Trane) for maybe $2600-2800 or so.

These numbers are just estimates. I'm not in the business, these figures are based on quotes I got a few years ago when I changed out my heat pumps and air handlers.

No home warranty company is going to buy you a new compressor though. If something dies, they'll just replace the motor, or valve, or whatever broke, for a much lower cost, unless the compressor can't be repaired.
I have used strictly Goodman/Amana for years and have yet for one of them to have a problem, great equipment and great warranty.
Trane, am standard and Carrier are all fine but mostly, your paying for the name and the unit is only as good as the install.

Remember, good install and proper sizing means everything.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:57 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
I don't know what a packaged system is, but these are two entirely separate units with their own controls. They are even on two different roofs. This house is Pueblo Revival style with a separate roof over each room. The roofs are basically flat, but of course with a slight slant for water runoff, and a parapet around each to hide stuff like A/C units. They have metal lined wooden scuppers in the parapets for runoff.

What I'm getting is that it does no good to have a home warranty for heating and a/c? So I could be looking at $10,000 for a five ton a/c replacement, but you all are saying total replacement is not usually needed?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I don't know what a packaged system is, but these are two entirely separate units with their own controls. They are even on two different roofs. This house is Pueblo Revival style with a separate roof over each room. The roofs are basically flat, but of course with a slight slant for water runoff, and a parapet around each to hide stuff like A/C units. They have metal lined wooden scuppers in the parapets for runoff.

What I'm getting is that it does no good to have a home warranty for heating and a/c? So I could be looking at $10,000 for a five ton a/c replacement, but you all are saying total replacement is not usually needed?
Sounds like you have packaged units. Those would be the all in one rooftop units I am refering to.
No, you would not be looking at 10 grand. You can have a 5 ton unit installed usually between 3 to 5 thousand bucks.

I belong to an HVAC contractor site that has had many threads about home warranty nightmares. Home warranty companies usually use low bidding contractors to do their a/c work and alot of times they do very shoddy repair work. You will never see this unless you go up and open your unit and know what to look for but I can tell you, I've seen some scary repairs done by them.

A guy I used to work with, still has the original unit on his home from 1975 and his home warranty company replaced the compressor in it 3 years ago, not something you want to do on 35 year old unit. In fact, I think he is still having issues with it to this day.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Sounds like you have packaged units. Those would be the all in one rooftop units I am refering to.
No, you would not be looking at 10 grand. You can have a 5 ton unit installed usually between 3 to 5 thousand bucks.

I belong to an HVAC contractor site that has had many threads about home warranty nightmares. Home warranty companies usually use low bidding contractors to do their a/c work and alot of times they do very shoddy repair work. You will never see this unless you go up and open your unit and know what to look for but I can tell you, I've seen some scary repairs done by them.

A guy I used to work with, still has the original unit on his home from 1975 and his home warranty company replaced the compressor in it 3 years ago, not something you want to do on 35 year old unit. In fact, I think he is still having issues with it to this day.
Actually Tiger I had to beat off my home warrantee company who wanted to replace my unit.

I just did not believe it was busted that bad and persisted. What I should have done was simply acquiesced to their desire. Now four years later I am consider killing the thing in some subtle way.

Engineers can really be dumb when on the hunt.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually Tiger I had to beat off my home warrantee company who wanted to replace my unit.

I just did not believe it was busted that bad and persisted. What I should have done was simply acquiesced to their desire. Now four years later I am consider killing the thing in some subtle way.

Engineers can really be dumb when on the hunt.
I'll be honest. These new 13 seer or greater units are not as great as everyone thinks. Granted, you will save some money on you power bill but these new units dont have the heavy duty parts that the older ones have. Example. When a relay goes out on an older unit, you replace it with another $20 or less part. When a relay goes out on a new unit, you usually have to replace the whole circuit board, big bucks!

Also, the newer units are not as good at removing humidity and this new 410a refrigerant falters at high outdoor temps and runs at a very high pressure.

I wouldnt want to run a unit that was over 30 years old but I wish I would have left my old unit up from 1988, it still worked fine and wasnt that much more to run.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
The A/C units are on the roof. It's a 2460 sf house. One unit for the master suite, and the other, larger one, for the rest. I'd have to look up what sizes they are. A receipt I have in front of me for some work on the large one says five ton, but that doesn't sound right.

So are you saying I might as well go on being self-insured?
Well Buzz, my AC went out and they had to get me a new one. $ 3,000 but guess what ? NOBODY pays for the CRANE but you ! They have to get a crane to get it on the roof, which you kindly pay for...

That was $ 600 !

Old Republic bought the unit for me brand new with a ( $ 55 copay ) but not the crane and some other minor fee I can't remember....so I had to eat that....

Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
I'll be honest. These new 13 seer or greater units are not as great as everyone thinks. Granted, you will save some money on you power bill but these new units dont have the heavy duty parts that the older ones have. Example. When a relay goes out on an older unit, you replace it with another $20 or less part. When a relay goes out on a new unit, you usually have to replace the whole circuit board, big bucks!

Also, the newer units are not as good at removing humidity and this new 410a refrigerant falters at high outdoor temps and runs at a very high pressure.

I wouldnt want to run a unit that was over 30 years old but I wish I would have left my old unit up from 1988, it still worked fine and wasnt that much more to run.
Last guy who did my yearly AC and does not know any better told me my contactor had burned connection and he would be glad to replace it for $400.

I do love your profession. I learned some 45 years ago in NYC where I was designing and building equipment with a 1/4 horsepower tecumseh compressor and lots of neat heat exchangers. There was no better trade than refrigeration. Somehow you guys did a trick that the electricians and plumbers could not equal. You kept the basics out of the reach of the DIY.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,841 times
Maybe I got reamed, but I had a Bryant 5 ton 12 SEER R22 gas packaged rooftop unit installed in 2005. I had 3 companies come out and the quotes were, $6000, $7500, and $8500. All of those were with a 10 year warranty, which was something I definitely wanted.

Quote:

Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Last guy who did my yearly AC and does not know any better told me my contactor had burned connection and he would be glad to replace it for $400.

I do love your profession. I learned some 45 years ago in NYC where I was designing and building equipment with a 1/4 horsepower tecumseh compressor and lots of neat heat exchangers. There was no better trade than refrigeration. Somehow you guys did a trick that the electricians and plumbers could not equal. You kept the basics out of the reach of the DIY.
Well, I'll be honest with you guys. My Grandfather was a retired union electrician who taught me all about the electrical field from the time I was around 9 years old. As far as a/c and heat, everything I've learned, has been self taught.
If you really have a love for something, you can learn it yourself and master it. I can do a beautiful a/c install, because I love the field and take pride in my work.

Sorry you were quoted 400 bucks for a 15 dollar part! Granted, people have to make a profit but that is just an absolute rip off!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas