Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:01 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,035,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Wow, for once we agree.
LOL. Scary, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,228,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That explanation makes even less sense than your original question. You didn't ask whether there is a heavy concentration of Asians in LV, you asked if there is a heavy concentration in one particular quadrant of the city. How does that specific question have anything to do with you living in Asian countries?

Answer: It doesn't.
Well, if I must connect dots for you:

It basically says I have an interest in Asian demographics. Plus family members, etc.

Anyways, if you can't contribute to this thread, maybe you can look for other threads where you can.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 01-08-2011 at 09:27 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,059,126 times
mod interpose: I believe the premise of this thread is a legitimate inquiry as I've always been interested myself in all sorts of demographic information of any region ...this is one of the focuses of our local forums; demographics. It may not have relevance to anything and the fact that some of you contend that in Las Vegas, all races, religions, creeds, and people of various political views are living together in harmony without regard to any specific area of town is noble and something that its residents should be proud of. However, it still should be a legitimate question when a members inquire about facts pertaining to demographics that are not couched with racist undertones.

Any further snarky comments will be removed. As the OP has stated, if there is nothing of interest to you or you have nothing substantial to contribute to this thread, please move on. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:33 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
snark snark....

Actually, having lived [or served a sentance] in NJ for 8 years, this interests me also....on the east coast you have Lil Itly, China town, lil Warsaw etc etc in nearly every city...out here its rare but I can see where its beginning to come about.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:01 PM

848 posts, read 1,725,348 times
"Chinatown" is located in the town of Winchester which is pretty much "central" Las Vegas since it is near the Strip, the main business district in the city, the heart of the city. There is a high concentration of Asian businesses in the area around "Chinatown" but it does not mean they majority reside in that area. A high percentage of Asians are homeowners which mean you will find Asians all over the city not just in the area near "Chinatown".

Old 01-08-2011, 04:06 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,016,929 times
i noticed alot more Asians play at the M than the Cosmopolitan by far.. Same as dealers working, many more at the M

Old 01-08-2011, 04:42 PM

848 posts, read 1,725,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
"Chinatown" is located in the town of Winchester which is pretty much "central" Las Vegas since it is near the Strip, the main business district in the city, the heart of the city. There is a high concentration of Asian businesses in the area around "Chinatown" but it does not mean they majority reside in that area. A high percentage of Asians are homeowners which mean you will find Asians all over the city not just in the area near "Chinatown".
My bad, I meant to say "Chinatown" is located in the town of Paradise and not Winchester.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:18 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,572,084 times
Have we really come to a point where we can't even discuss race without people getting so uptight that it starts some sort of argument for no apparent reason? The OP is clearly not a racist or looking to start trouble. And please don't give me the argument that you don't see race like some sort of idealistic saint. There are clearly quadrants of the city with higher concentrations of certain races. It is interesting to people for all sorts of reasons that don't necessarily need to be known to every tom dick and harry. As to the original question, I haven't noticed a higher concentration of Asians in the SW. I also don't spend a lot of time in that area though.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,228,858 times
Here is the inspiration for this thread:

Mapping America — Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

If you look at the three voting precincts on the map below Spring Valley...you'll see 20% asian, 19% asian, and 19% asian. A few other precincts near there also have high percentages.

This is in comparison to the city average of around 5.5% according to wikipedia referencing 2009 data. In short, it looks like Vegas might be establishing asian community preferences.

(I was also cross-referencing this with schooldigger which has demographics of all the various schools across the valley. Same scenario, more asian students in the schools in that part of SW).

Just curious if that pattern is obvious or not to Vegans...and I'm guessing that since most wouldn't go there, unless they lived there, it might not be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas