Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 04:31 PM

12 posts, read 57,447 times

Advertisements

I haven't ever been very active on this board (as anyone glancing at my stats could see), but I have used everyone's opinions and recommendations over the last couple as I've settled in to life here. It seemed that I ought to do my part as I hit five years living in the Valley to offer opinions up for all the other posters and stalkers looking for thoughts on moving to Vegas.

* We're in Henderson. Just like everyone who recommends that area of town, it is a perfectly decent suburb, just like every other perfectly decent suburb of any given metro area. There are parts of the area that are slightly more downscale than others, but absolutely nothing that would constitute a "bad" part of town.

* I hope you like pink or beige stucco, because that is the extent of differences in houses.

* CCSD is not that bad of a school district. It seems they are still reeling from the relentless growth this decade and never found their footing. That said, the schools all seem to range from poor & mediocre to rich & mediocre. Your kids will do as well as you push them to do because they will get minimal support from the system. (And don't be afraid to challenge the system... most folks who work there are burnt out but well-intentioned and will help you once you are politely in their faces)

* Driving down Eastern south of the 215 around rush hour is awful. If you work regular office hours, you'll hate this drive.

* Vegas sprawl still ain't got nothin' on Midwestern sprawl. It's a town of 2 million people but is only 25 miles across.

* UNLV is just as mediocre and under-funded as the K-12 district.

* Vegas and Nevada aren't really liberal or conservative; they're true-to-form Libertarian. There are some folks here who genuinely don't care if they get paved streets, stoplights, or educated kids as long as they don't have to pay the taxes.

* Whatever house you buy will likely have crappy insulation that will render your A/C useless on the south side of the house in August. As much as you pick your neighborhood and landscaping, think about the climate when you are house shopping.

* There really aren't any parts of town that are *that* bad. While I may not choose to live in many areas, I will happily support the restaurants, bars, and shops in every neighborhood around.

* Yes, you will know someone who has had their car stolen. Probably several.

* Whether you are buying or renting, get a copy of the CC&Rs if your community has one. Read it and know it before signing on the dotted line. Some of the HOAs in the 'burbs are downright militant. (On the flip side of that, tread lightly in a newer neighborhood that doesn't have an HOA at all, unless you like to see boats in *every* driveway, dismantled project cars, pit bulls, and loose sand front yards.)

* Watch the drivers. It takes some getting used to driving in the Old West, but the unwritten rules are easy to pick up on.

* If airport noise bothers you, be sure to hang out in the area where you're house shopping for a while to listen. Pretty much anywhere between GV Pkwy/95 to Windmill to Valley View to Flamingo will have a fair amount of takeoff and landing noise at McCarran. Seven Hills and Inspirada will have it from KHND. (I don't know the sound around VGT, but there are enough complaints in the news to know no one is ever happy with them.) We hear it, but it has never bothered us.

I'm sure there's more I could offer, and more those of you who have been around forever can say, but I wanted to be sure to make my initial offering to the masses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 05:58 PM

427 posts, read 553,056 times
Well, I think a good, strong hug is in order!!
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 PM

107 posts, read 328,238 times
I didn't know there were so many stolen cars. Family has been here since 1987... guess we've been lucky so far.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:10 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,595,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidsinVegas View Post
I didn't know there were so many stolen cars. Family has been here since 1987... guess we've been lucky so far.
It's the car theft capital of the country.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:55 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,372,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
No more....better than LA or Phoenix. Average for the US

Old 12-31-2010, 07:55 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,968,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethp8 View Post
I haven't ever been very active on this board (as anyone glancing at my stats could see), but I have used everyone's opinions and recommendations over the last couple as I've settled in to life here. It seemed that I ought to do my part as I hit five years living in the Valley to offer opinions up for all the other posters and stalkers looking for thoughts on moving to Vegas.

* We're in Henderson. Just like everyone who recommends that area of town, it is a perfectly decent suburb, just like every other perfectly decent suburb of any given metro area. There are parts of the area that are slightly more downscale than others, but absolutely nothing that would constitute a "bad" part of town.

* I hope you like pink or beige stucco, because that is the extent of differences in houses.

* CCSD is not that bad of a school district. It seems they are still reeling from the relentless growth this decade and never found their footing. That said, the schools all seem to range from poor & mediocre to rich & mediocre. Your kids will do as well as you push them to do because they will get minimal support from the system. (And don't be afraid to challenge the system... most folks who work there are burnt out but well-intentioned and will help you once you are politely in their faces)

* Driving down Eastern south of the 215 around rush hour is awful. If you work regular office hours, you'll hate this drive.

* Vegas sprawl still ain't got nothin' on Midwestern sprawl. It's a town of 2 million people but is only 25 miles across.

* UNLV is just as mediocre and under-funded as the K-12 district.

* Vegas and Nevada aren't really liberal or conservative; they're true-to-form Libertarian. There are some folks here who genuinely don't care if they get paved streets, stoplights, or educated kids as long as they don't have to pay the taxes.

* Whatever house you buy will likely have crappy insulation that will render your A/C useless on the south side of the house in August. As much as you pick your neighborhood and landscaping, think about the climate when you are house shopping.

* There really aren't any parts of town that are *that* bad. While I may not choose to live in many areas, I will happily support the restaurants, bars, and shops in every neighborhood around.

* Yes, you will know someone who has had their car stolen. Probably several.

* Whether you are buying or renting, get a copy of the CC&Rs if your community has one. Read it and know it before signing on the dotted line. Some of the HOAs in the 'burbs are downright militant. (On the flip side of that, tread lightly in a newer neighborhood that doesn't have an HOA at all, unless you like to see boats in *every* driveway, dismantled project cars, pit bulls, and loose sand front yards.)

* Watch the drivers. It takes some getting used to driving in the Old West, but the unwritten rules are easy to pick up on.

* If airport noise bothers you, be sure to hang out in the area where you're house shopping for a while to listen. Pretty much anywhere between GV Pkwy/95 to Windmill to Valley View to Flamingo will have a fair amount of takeoff and landing noise at McCarran. Seven Hills and Inspirada will have it from KHND. (I don't know the sound around VGT, but there are enough complaints in the news to know no one is ever happy with them.) We hear it, but it has never bothered us.

I'm sure there's more I could offer, and more those of you who have been around forever can say, but I wanted to be sure to make my initial offering to the masses.

Great post, very honest

Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,265,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
we lost the capital title 2-3 years ago

Old 12-31-2010, 10:48 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,619,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
we lost the capital title 2-3 years ago
recession = less cars to steal?

Old 12-31-2010, 11:25 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,265,725 times
actually....crime overall is down in Las Vegas [guess the crooks left first]

Old 01-01-2011, 07:26 AM

12 posts, read 22,108 times
Are there bylaws in LV that prohibit Pit Bulls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas