Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:58 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,931,900 times

Advertisements

To be honest, public schools in Vegas are crap. Nevada is consistently ranked as one of the worst states for public education.

That said, a few years ago, Becker was considered one of the best schools in the state. Due to changes in the administration, I'm not sure if it still is, but I went there from 2001 to 2003, and I feel that my education there was sufficient.

As for private schools...Faith Lutheran and Alexander Dawson are both really good at the MS level. I strongly recommend both. I go to Faith right now, and I babysit for kids who go to Dawson, so I can answer any questions you might have about either school. (I can also answer questions about Becker).

Just be sure to avoid Meadows - it's extremely expensive, and gets a reputation for being a major drug school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 06:58 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,754,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
To be honest, public schools in Vegas are crap. Nevada is consistently ranked as one of the worst states for public education.
I agree and have posted many times saying this same thing. But if one can't afford the private schools (which can be $5,000 or more per year) then they will have to find the best schools in the valley to send their kids to. I've done a lot of research on it and I find the best schools that would meet my criteria to be in the Green Valley area of Henderson.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,264,428 times
And RWFs lack of judgement was clearly illustrated by moving to an area whose NCLB scores are far worse than Vegas. If you think Vegas bad why would you move where things are worse?

To keep the record straight the schools of Las Vegas score in the middle of the pack on academic achievement. Better for instance than Los Angeles ande most of the rust belt cites. The good school of Las Vegas are up there with any of the good suburban areas around the country and superior to many. The bad schools are there with the bad schools from the rest of the country.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:36 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,166,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post

Just be sure to avoid Meadows - it's extremely expensive, and gets a reputation for being a major drug school.
I have heard this also, but in the interests of fairness and full disclosure, it was a CCSD teacher who told me this, and therefore I can't see this piece of information as entirely bias-free.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
I have heard this also, but in the interests of fairness and full disclosure, it was a CCSD teacher who told me this, and therefore I can't see this piece of information as entirely bias-free.
Comeon guys...we can't be buying into this silliness.

When I went through the teen years some 50+ years ago the rich kids had good booze and the poor kids drank beer or moonshine. Nothing has changed.

Meadows is a relatively small school and is more likely all over drug use compared to any public school. They simply interact more closely with their students.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And RWFs lack of judgement was clearly illustrated by moving to an area whose NCLB scores are far worse than Vegas. If you think Vegas bad why would you move where things are worse?
Once again olecapt goes for personal comments. You know nothing of the place I moved to, why I moved there and if I'll still be living there when my kids are school-age. Where I live now has far better schools just for the record. They are all A rated schools, one even listed as one of the best high schools in the country. Get over it and stop harassing me. Anyone can look them up at GreatSchools.net (Port Orange, Florida).

Old 08-05-2007, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Once again olecapt goes for personal comments. You know nothing of the place I moved to, why I moved there and if I'll still be living there when my kids are school-age. Where I live now has far better schools just for the record. They are all A rated schools, one even listed as one of the best high schools in the country. Get over it and stop harassing me. Anyone can look them up at GreatSchools.net (Port Orange, Florida).

Usnig the Great Schools site there are 9 top rated elementary schools in Las Vegas. There are none in Port Orange.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Usnig the Great Schools site there are 9 top rated elementary schools in Las Vegas. There are none in Port Orange.
You are comparing two completely different places/types of cities. Port Orange is a small nice town with a population of 50,000. You are comparing it to a much larger city with many more schools.

The Port Orange schools are A rated and the high school is rated as one of the best in the country.

But I am bewildered as to why you keep wanting to debate Port Orange Florida in the Las Vegas forum. You continuously do this. I have invited you several times to say these very things in the Florida forum and still you don't do it. I am not the one that keeps bringing up Port Orange here, you are! I answer someone's question about Las Vegas and you attack me with statistics about Port Orange... a place you don't know! And as usual, your information is incorrect.

My guess is that you know just how badly what you are saying will be refuted. It's pathetic really... I'm threw with you, you are a lost cause and a bully... olecapt is going back on the ignore list...

Old 08-05-2007, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 9,795 times
Default Noo

Its not abuse i went there for 2 years and nothing happended and I made some great friends along the way! the teachers along with subs and all the rest of the subs are just great they come to work everyday with a purpose and that is to teach us! ALso we hav the Nevada teacher of the year on out staff now thats something that not every school can say!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,284 times
Default The Truth About Bob Miller Middle School

I am the parent of an honor student who has attended Bob Miller Middle School for 3 years. Their scores are great for this area, but thier focus is not on the kids.

The administration is so concerned with thier "image" and controlling the kids they have taken all the fun and humanity out of attending school. Students are treated like convicts and the school is run in "lock-down" mode.

While safety is always a factor and a concern for us all, Bob Miller has taken this concept to an absurd extreme.

The children cannot touch one another in any way, e.g, they cannot shake hands or tap one another on the shoulder.

Contrary to the CCSD written policy, the children are not treated with respect by most of the admin. In fact, they are spoken to harshly, threatened and intimidated daily with reprimand and suspension.

The expectation communicated to the children daily is that they will behave badly if not completely controlled. The approach used by this school's admin is stiffling at the very least and deprives the children of developing appropriate social & coping skills.

The Deans this year announced to the children at the beginning of the year that the teachers were entirely too "soft" and that in order to ensure that children were held accountable for tardies, the classroom doors would be locked when the 3 minute passing period ended so the children would have to go to admin and get written up.

There are numerous disturbing examples of Bob Miller's unfriendly and hostille approach to "controlling the children." It infuriates and saddens me, and if I had the means, I would put my son in private school where he would be treated with tolerance, respect, kindness, encouragement & support by the adult professionals in positions of power.

This is simply not the case at Bob Miller Middle School. The children are expected to behave badly and are treated as such. Consequently, some children do just that. Others are frustrated and have given up, feeling defeated and in a hopeless situation. I have a friend whose daughter is suspended regularly. Infractions leading to this harsh penalty include chewing gum, carrying a purse to class, tardies and insuborinate "expressions" on her face. This kid is not a bad person. She just has too much personality which has earned her a bad reputation with the admin. She is doomed until she leaves Bob Miller and she knows it.

How sad that these kids are not shown how much they can accomplish in life's journey with tolerance, patience, postive reinforcement and kindness. Bob Miller looks good in the public eye (the primary concern of the very political principal who does not have time for the children or their parents), but you cannot always judge a book by its cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: