Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:58 PM

80 posts, read 151,594 times

Advertisements

The job market is bad. Just as others have mentioned, it used to be good. Why do people still think, "I'll go to Vegas. There's always work there." We have too many people with that mind set, and they have found no jobs. The illegals are a real problem. Vegas is dead and will remain so for a very long time. I wish I could find a way to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 09:35 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,791,000 times
I would say the situation is more grave in LV than Phoenix.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:02 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,264,428 times
We need to see how all this is going to break...

I remain of the view that the residential construction industry is gone for the near term future. Nothing good for three to five years or more. And it will likely never come back as it was in the 2003 or 2004 era.

That however is four or five points of our unemployment. Over time it goes away...not because those involved are employed but because they have gone in a different direction or left for greener pastures.

As that works out unemployment will settle at some level perhaps under the national average.

So we could well end up in a year or two looking much better. Particularly if the tourist industry begins to recover. And there are at least the initial signs of such a recovery.

I agree that moving to Las Vegas without a job is pretty suicidal at this point. But perhaps no worse than moving most places. The only good spots are places like the Dakotas...and that is a pretty terrible sacrifice for a job.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:00 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,346,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Why does everyone think there are jobs here?

Before I moved into this house I had a new neighbor at my apartment who had brought his whole family up from Phoenix to look for work. You can guess how that went. When I told him that Vegas was just as bad or worse than Phoenix he acted like I was full of it. He got evicted a few months later when he could not pay his rent.

It amazes me how some people have such a transient mind set to just move to a new place like that. I mean relocating is one thing but so many people move and really never have any intentions of rooting in. That guy clearly never did any research. Just a whim.

With the bad economy I'd think it would be best to hunker down and stay where you are. Using the network of family and friends to get by and helping them get by.

This doesn't really surprise me. When people think of Vegas or go there on vacation, it's like a fantasy land/escape from reality. Since many of those people limit their visits to the Strip or nearby areas, they may not know that Vegas is just like anywhere else or appreciate its small town nature.

My guess is people move to Vegas on somewhat of a whim hoping for the best, but knowing that things probably won't work out. I doubt they really analyze things that carefully; they just move and hope it works out.

I'm quite certain that Detroit doesn't have the same problem, as its problems are well known and it is often viewed as a complete hellhole with no opportunity whatsoever. Vegas and Detroit may have similar problems with the UE rate, but the similarities stop there.

As with other things, I think people are drawn to the idea of Vegas as some sort of escape or utopia more than the reality of Vegas itself.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:07 PM

11,179 posts, read 16,055,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmgirlok View Post
The illegals are a real problem. Vegas is dead and will remain so for a very long time. I wish I could find a way to get out.
I wish you could too.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:08 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,047,026 times
Quote:
I wish I could find a way to get out.
Get a map!

Old 12-13-2010, 09:18 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,168,745 times
Take the bus

Old 12-13-2010, 09:25 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,542,862 times
Trash the house.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,542,862 times
Default Once again...

"The problem is that you're in the red," Mom said to me.
"There's rules & regulations when the bank's the mortgagee."
"I’d like to help you in this bad economy..."
"There must be...fifty ways to leave Las Vegas."

She said "It’s really not my habit to intrude."
"Furthermore, I hope my meaning won’t be lost...or misconstrued."
"But I’ll repeat myself at the risk of being crude..."
"There must be...fifty ways to leave Las Vegas."
Fifty ways to leave Las Vegas.

You just slip out the back, Jack...
Foreclose out the nose, Rose...
Try a loan modify, Ty...
Just get yourself free!

Do a short sale, Gail...
You don’t want to...forward mail
Just sell back the key, Lee...
And get yourself free.

She said "It grieves me so to see you in such pain."
"I wish there was something I could do to make you smile again."
I said "I appreciate that...and would you please explain.......
About the...fifty ways?"

She said "Why don’t we both just trash the place tonight?"
"And I suggest in the morning we'll escape by early light."
And then she kissed me, and I realized she probably was right...
There must be...fifty ways to leave Las Vegas...
Fifty ways to leave Las Vegas.

You just slip out the back, Jack...
Burn down the fort, Mort...
Try a loan modify, Ty...
Just get yourself free!

Do a short sale, Gail...
You don’t want to...forward mail.
Just sell back the key, Lee...
And get yourself free.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,489,663 times
Quote:
The job market is bad. Just as others have mentioned, it used to be good. Why do people still think, "I'll go to Vegas. There's always work there." We have too many people with that mind set, and they have found no jobs. The illegals are a real problem. Vegas is dead and will remain so for a very long time. I wish I could find a way to get out.
Maybe you should take a look around, don't look like anything or anybody is dead here in Las Vegas, lol.

Illegals a problem? Hmmmm...

I do hope that you can go back to OKie, best of luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas