Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:38 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times

Advertisements

I just got one of these in the mail. I do not want to change residency quite yet, until I know my son will be able to get insurance in Nevada. Depending on how the election goes, the new guaranteed health care is not a done deal yet. So that being the case, I guess I need to hold off on filing this till I officially surrender our Florida licenses and declare Nevada as our residency, which I could do in 2013 if all goes well.
Am I right in assuming I need to wait to file it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 03:26 AM

371 posts, read 940,885 times
does it protect you from future lawsuits? it doesn't say anything about it in the gov site

Old 05-07-2016, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 699 times
do any of you have pictures of the 2 different forms that they sent you? i was an idiot and did the first form and sent them a check. and now i don't remember what exactly i had to fill out on the form and am nervous that i may have had to put my social security number on it and its bothering me. my girlfriend and i had such a difficult time with our lender and him sending us the paperwork that it seemed like someone forgot this form so i just signed it because it seemed official.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:02 PM

645 posts, read 707,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
They come out of the woodwork when you buy a house. You can do it yourself for $14.00. Here's the Clark County site for the form. Homestead Information

WHAT THE LAW PROVIDES: When you record a Declaration of Homestead, Nevada law protects the equity in your home up to $550,000 from general creditor claims (unpaid medical bills, bankruptcy, charge card debts, business/personal loans, accidents) but would not preclude a seizure or forced sale of your residence from general creditors if your equity exceeds the $550,000. A creditor may file suit and can record a judgment lien against any real property you own. Recording a Declaration of Homestead protects your principal residence up to the statutory maximum. For example, if the value of your home is $645,000 and you have a first mortgage of $485,000 plus a second mortgage of $10,000, the equity is $150,000.

WHAT IS NOT PROTECTED?

The Homestead Law does not protect you against debts secured by a mortgage or deed of trust, payment of taxes, IRS lien, mechanic's lien, child support or alimony payments.

how long until it's recorded? do you get something after it's recorded?

I don't see lawsuits, but I guess it falls in the category of accidents so it's covered I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglenn2009 View Post
do any of you have pictures of the 2 different forms that they sent you? i was an idiot and did the first form and sent them a check. and now i don't remember what exactly i had to fill out on the form and am nervous that i may have had to put my social security number on it and its bothering me. my girlfriend and i had such a difficult time with our lender and him sending us the paperwork that it seemed like someone forgot this form so i just signed it because it seemed official.
there are 2 forms ? I found this and it's only 1 form Homestead Law

Last edited by LVguy; 05-07-2016 at 10:27 PM..

Old 05-08-2016, 06:04 AM

638 posts, read 594,248 times
Can a company do a homestead declaration or just individuals?

Old 05-08-2016, 09:27 AM

561 posts, read 681,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
Can a company do a homestead declaration or just individuals?
Companies can't make a Declaration of Homestead on their own behalf. You can pay someone to do it for you, but that's silly.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:14 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,047 times
I can't remember if I paid anything to file, but all you need otherwise is to have the form notarized. Can't beat the price, for any level of protection.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:41 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post
I can't remember if I paid anything to file, but all you need otherwise is to have the form notarized. Can't beat the price, for any level of protection.
$17 filling fee. I went to my credit union and got the money order and notarization done at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWW.clarkcountynv.gov
4. The recording fee is $17.00 for the first page and $1.00 per page for each additional page. Acceptable forms of payment are: cash (in person only); money order; credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express) or company check with contact information. Credit card orders are not accepted by phone or through the mail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas