Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:41 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,604,364 times

Advertisements

Here is a good article about education and the economy/industry:

"There was confirmation — yet again — that Nevada ranks at or near the bottom of the nation in numerous key educational categories. Among the 50 states and Washington, D.C., according to data from 2006 through 2008, Nevada ranked 49th with only 28.2 percent of its residents aged 25 to 34 who had at least a two-year associate degree. The national average was 41.6 percent. There is nothing shocking about that ranking. Nevada’s leading industry, gaming, offers a high percentage of jobs that do not require college education. Until the nation suffered an economic meltdown, employees such as waitresses, dealers and porters could carve a living decent enough to afford a home and a nice middle-class lifestyle without having a college degree."

"What should happen? Rather than give up and resign ourselves to mediocrity, we should take bold steps to improve the quality of Nevada’s educational system from the time children are old enough to attend class to the time they are ready to enter a college program. This will require involvement from parents, educators, the business community, elected officials and anyone who cares about Nevada’s future. If we want to groom our brightest students into Nevada’s future leaders, we should strive to create a world-class educational system that will help fuel economic growth and make this state a better place to live."

Seeking better education - Sunday, Aug. 15, 2010 | 2:01 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 01:59 PM

590 posts, read 556,206 times
What's preventing industries from moving to Las Vegas? That depends on the kind of industry, Las Vegas, and Nevada in general, are/were always attractive to the hospitality industry, especially during the economic boom in the 90's. There aren't that many hi-tech companies that would choose Nevada, especially in these tough economic times.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,089,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Don't know.

But, I have noticed credit card companies and other financial-related...they seem to like places like Utah or the South, and I think it is partly because of perception of 'honest' people - regardless if it is true or not.

I wonder sometimes if the perception of Vegas hurts it, as companies might assume the overall moral of the residents to be lower than elsewhere. Purely a guess though.
In the past, the FBI recruited young Mormon college graduates very heavily BECAUSE they were Mormon. They tended to be very moral and idealistic because of their religious beliefs.

This goes along with security type industries located in Utah. I lived there and the wages were low, comparatively speaking, and there was a big workforce vying for what was available.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:58 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,547,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1985 View Post
Question for small business owners: Are you happy with your workforce in terms of turnover (during good and bad times), job competence, employee stability, general attitude at work, etc?

I'll be honest, my impression of the LV workforce is not the best, though I admit I'm stereotyping and have little real world experience in the area.
see post #4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: