Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:34 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Uh...whatever. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 09:21 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
I'm shell shocked.

But don't forget...the tortoise ALWAYS win the race.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Well...two years ago when they went to check on Mojave Max and see when he was coming out of his den they found him dead...not good....

NOte that the Tortoise people are different from other animal groups. They have money. The federal tortoise programs kicked off a lot of cash. Animal people can be difficult when they need your financial support. They are really fun when financially independent.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Buzz should have just turned him on his back and left him.

Nah...would not work...old JFK probably has an iPod in some hidden pocket and would have called his wife. She is used to turning him back upright.
I constantly stick my neck out for you people...and THIS is the tanks I get?????

Old 09-25-2010, 01:01 AM

10 posts, read 17,697 times
You do realize it's illegal to keep a desert tortoise, right? So I hope it was the authorities you called.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:17 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonkw View Post
You do realize it's illegal to keep a desert tortoise, right? So I hope it was the authorities you called.
I hear he put a saddle on it and has his dogs riding it around his back yard...

He also claims the tortoise was in love with one of his dogs and followed it home. That would make the tortoise a trespasser would it not?

Old 09-25-2010, 10:31 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Or a potential son/daughter in law.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:57 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,365,413 times
Quote:
Of course, how could I have lived here all my life and not know the desert tortoise is a protected species? Did you not read the original post plus click the link? I followed protocol and did what they told me to do, and saved another one. It's actually not the first time I've carried one to safety that was in the middle of the road with cars bearing down on it. Another time it was a neighbor's pet. Yes, pet. You can adopt tortoises, although they aren't very lovable and won't keep you warm at night.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:10 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,365,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
For most Americans, the term 'turtle' describes the Chelonians that are aquatic or semi-aquatic. The term 'tortoise' describes a Chelonian that lives primarily on land. 'Terrapin' can describe some freshwater or saltwater turtles, but is not often used.
In general, tortoises live on land and eat a primarily vegetarian diet, and turtles live in or near the water and eat a meat-based diet or a combination of meat and vegetation. To take this one step further, turtles are often broken down into aquatic and semi-aquatic species. The aquatic species spend the majority of their lives in or near the water and eat a diet that is mostly meat based. Semi-aquatic turtles spend a greater period of time on land, but periodically enter the water. Semi-aquatic turtles tend to eat both plants and animals. An example of a semi-aquatic turtle is the well known American Box Turtle. While there are several subspecies differences, this turtle tends to spend most of its time on land, but enters very shallow water several times a week to defecate. The young turtles are primarily meat eaters, but as they get older, they eat a primarily vegetarian diet.
Terrapin can also describe a fan of the University of Maryland whose a$$ we Mountaineers kicked last weekend...again! Go EERS!!!

One thing I read about terrapins said they are born in the water and live on the land, but I think that is wrong, so if olecapt doesn't pay you, I'll double the prize and give you MOHO.

When I was a kid the daddies in the neighborhood would go turtle hunting in the turtle holes in the sides of river banks. They slide their hands in under the turtle and slide him out; the theory being they can't lower their heads to bite something under them. I think these guys drank too much beer ...or "shine". As kids we were allowed to watch the butchering, and were allowed to play with the head, which would still bite, and the heart, which would still beat. We believed both would keep working until the sun went down. All I know is Mrs. Greathouse sure made delicious turtle soup.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Oooops...I was over Buzz's house for turtle soup the other night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas