Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,250,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
O is definitely one of my all-time favorite shows (other than the one I saw in an out-of-the-way place in Bangkok. )

I also thorouhgly enjoyed KA at MGM.
One night in Bangkok.....

KA + 1. O was a bit overwrought. Le Reve was awesome due to the mor intimate feel of the showroom. I'm sure you'll put KA in your top 2, SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,602,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
imo...best is Phantom worst is Zumanity
I have see Phantom of the Opera 3 times, once here when it stopped here, but have not seen the one on the Strip yet.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
My favorite show is watching a fat person in a power scooter accuse a cashier of stealing their food stamps at the store because their balance is zero.
Wow, that would actually be painful to watch...

Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,401,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaslocal55 View Post
I doubt anything will ever beat LOVE for me. Been to most of the Cirques & about 50 other shows in my 2 years here. Haven't made it to Jersey Boys yet because I never did like that music & it's tough to justify paying for it. BTW, did anyone get the free tickets they handed out last Saturday morning for Jersey Boys? Or hear how long the line was?
What? You don't like "Walk Like a Man, Sing Like a Girl"?

I've always liked the music, but the play/story of the group is actually fascinating too (if I can use that word without sounding gay). What kind of surprised me was seeing the younger people in the audience that seemed to be enjoying the show. You'd think it was a show for old folks, but it isn't. If I remember right, it was one of the least expensive shows we've seen in a long time.

I loved Love and would love to see the Elvis version of Cirque now.

I'm probably a perve because I like Zumanity. Very sensual stuff, and amazing, like all Cirque shows.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:25 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,051,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I lived in NY in the 70s and 80s and loved going to Broadway shows like Annie, 42nd Street, A Chorus Line, etc....
One thing that I'll miss by not living on the east coast anymore is the ability to take a quick trip to NYC to catch a show or two. A Chorus Line is one of my all-time favorites. I saw the "original" production in the 80s and then the revival just after it opened in October 2006.

But as much as I love A Chorus Line, I have to say that Les Miserables has to be #1 on my list of favorites. It actually opened at the Kennedy Center in Washington before heading to Broadway. I saw it again on Broadway several years later.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
One thing that I'll miss by not living on the east coast anymore is the ability to take a quick trip to NYC to catch a show or two. A Chorus Line is one of my all-time favorites. I saw the "original" production in the 80s and then the revival just after it opened in October 2006.

But as much as I love A Chorus Line, I have to say that Les Miserables has to be #1 on my list of favorites. It actually opened at the Kennedy Center in Washington before heading to Broadway. I saw it again on Broadway several years later.
That's the thing we hear the most from New Yorkers, and I don't doubt it's a big thing for you. But how often did you go, really? Those shows are pretty expensive, and getting there is a pain, IMHO. Maybe not for a New Yorker used to no parking, and huge crowds. But....

They may not be the latest Broadway hits (or sometimes they are), but if you really want to see a world class production of a play, you can drive up to Cedar City, UT. It's only 3 hours (150 miles) straight up I-15. And the scenery is a lot better than Manhattan. Cedar City, UT - Official Website - Festivals

Also, UNLV has a lot of cultural events. Performing Arts - University of Nevada, Las Vegas

It's not Broadway, but you'll find that productions of various kinds on the Strip are just as entertaining. Like a fellow in Albuquerque said to me when I complained that I missed all the great things we had in in Las Vegas; maybe it's not better or worse here, maybe it's just different. Enjoy the change. Before long you'll be telling the people back home about all the great things we have that they don't.

Also, I don't think people realize that LA gets pretty much the same productions that you find in New York. I first saw A Chorus Line at the Shubert Theater in Century City. I've also seen a production of it in Las Vegas at the Aladdin Theater. When I worked for the Employment Security Department, I would talk to famous actors who came back to Las Vegas for a while to file for New York or California unemployment benefits while their play was on hiatus.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 PM

990 posts, read 1,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Penn and Teller put on a great show, and you get to meet them afterwards.
Yup. And this is the only time you get a chance to hear Teller actually talk.
This is, by far, my favorite LV show.

One or two Cirques and I was cirqued out on the athletic people in funny costumes flying around on bungee cords. The music at the Beatles Cirque show was not for actual fans of the music. All you hear is snippets of songs. Leaves you wondering why they are all cut so short. But there's plenty of the bungee stuff if that's your taste.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:54 PM

990 posts, read 1,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
What? You don't like "Walk Like a Man, Sing Like a Girl"?

I've always liked the music, but the play/story of the group is actually fascinating too (if I can use that word without sounding gay). What kind of surprised me was seeing the younger people in the audience that seemed to be enjoying the show. You'd think it was a show for old folks, but it isn't. If I remember right, it was one of the least expensive shows we've seen in a long time.

I loved Love and would love to see the Elvis version of Cirque now.

I'm probably a perve because I like Zumanity. Very sensual stuff, and amazing, like all Cirque shows.
Elvis would need 3 bungee cords.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
Yup. And this is the only time you get a chance to hear Teller actually talk.
This is, by far, my favorite LV show.

One or two Cirques and I was cirqued out on the athletic people in funny costumes flying around on bungee cords. The music at the Beatles Cirque show was not for actual fans of the music. All you hear is snippets of songs. Leaves you wondering why they are all cut so short. But there's plenty of the bungee stuff if that's your taste.
I didn't notice that, but because the Beatles recorded so many good songs, Rolling Stone's latest issue has what they consider are the 100 best. 100 best! That would take more than six hours to listen to...or is it six days?

I hope the Elvis Cirque is skinny Elvis, not bloated Elvis.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I have to say that Les Miserables has to be #1 on my list of favorites. It actually opened at the Kennedy Center in Washington before heading to Broadway. I saw it again on Broadway several years later.
This is my absolute favorite show. We see it every time it comes to Vegas. Once it was a smaller production and the other was larger on the Strip. It really does not matter, It's the same show, same music, and incredible talent. My husband and I are also fans of the music and know every song.

Last edited by lyra33; 09-03-2010 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: