Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 PM

54 posts, read 121,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I believe I bought a blacklight from Walmart a few years back.
Thanks. Hardware section, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 01:53 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,320,665 times
The Bug Bully destroys pests. And sometimes things I don't think are pests. Like harmless crickets. It's a low monthly service to have peace of mind.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:01 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,602,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
Funny, I've lived here 7 years (in an apartment, condo, and two houses) and have NEVER seen one. Thought I was finally getting my wish the other night out by the pool, but once I got the flashlight it turned out to be a cricket carrying a moth.
Same here. I have lived in Vegas for 10 years and I have never seen one- and I have 7 palm trees and a pool. However...we have always had regular bug service.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:04 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,602,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
They are very localized. We see them in Sun City in three or four locales but no where else. I would guess they are an annoyance at maybe 200 homes out of 7000.

The only thing we are seeing now is a lot of rats around. All around the NW, in Anthem and elsewhere. They are having a good year.
Eek! I have not seen a rat so far and I hope I never do!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:12 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maharlika View Post
Thanks for the responses and the laughs. (LOL'ed @ the shotgun comment.) Really appreciate it.

NYC does have a lot of rats and roaches, but the puppy-sized rats stay outdoors and the roaches are seasonal and diminutive (the roaches here in Vegas are big btw, but also seasonal). We did get a mouse or two every couple of years. None of these critters try to bite you. Like I said, I am mostly afraid for my grandma's safety as the venom can be fatal for the elderly. She likes to garden. I had a classmate last semester who was bitten by a scorpion while gardening. Only had to get a shot at UMC QuickCare.

Anyone know where to buy one of those black light thingies? ... Or maybe at least a pest inspector? Is the Bug Bully guy a pest inspector? How much does the inspection usually cost? BTW... the one in the photo is a bark scorpion, right?

The seller (a bank from out of state) is playing hardball with us regarding the repairs. So today our realtor kinda gave them an ultimatum. On top of that is the possible scorpion problem. We're getting exhausted but having to go find another house will be even more exhausting.

Thanks again.
Black lights are avaiable at Fry's and on the internet.

Pest inspections generally run around $50. I would think though many bug guys will take a look for free in hope of the contract. Ask BugBully.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:16 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,478,152 times
A regular inspection for some re-sales are $45, that is for a termite inspection, if it is required. For a Scorpion inspection with a black light it is quite a bit more only because we have to do it after hours, at night.

Only things most companies will do an inspection for is Bed Bugs or German Roaches, for all other insects, quotes can be given over the phone.

Usually if only one scorpion is found, you will be ok. This is no way a sign of an infestation. In the last week or so, we have had a couple of customers have them, who have never seen any in their homes or around their homes before. They are just looking for food.

Sometimes if you have neighbors that do regular pest control on their homes, it can cause a problem for you. Scorpions and spiders eat other insects, so if you have other insects in the home, then it is a have a buffet for them. Also depends on how long the home has been vacant.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:29 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,320,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Eek! I have not seen a rat so far and I hope I never do!
I think rats are cute. They are just bigger mice according to my kitties. They love them.
Of course we haven't seen any real one's around the house, all they get are stuffed mice.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:24 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,536,967 times
...and pink strings.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:36 PM

10,040 posts, read 9,532,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
I have not seen a scorpion thank goodness but we did have a problem with rats. Last year was really bad they were chewing on my car wires.
Damn.... Rats can hot wire cars now? Those little bast*** have evolved.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,914,078 times
Default Rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Damn.... Rats can hot wire cars now? Those little bast*** have evolved.
A rat chewed through some wires and set up home in the engine compartment of our 2006 Tundra truck. Little bugger got into the air conditioning ducting as well, lots of urine and feces, pieces of fruit. We set a trap with fruit preserves and that did the trick.
sk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas