Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 03:45 PM

16 posts, read 25,663 times

Advertisements

Question to realtors:

How quickly do home prices react to changes to interest rates? It seems pretty clear that to most home purchasers, the actual price is of less significance than the monthly payment. That's why variable rates, teasers, option-ARM's, etc became so popular, because they lowered the monthly payment (if only temporarily).

We are at historical lows on mortgage rates. Below 5% is not difficult for good credit, traditional 30-year fixed. My concern about purchasing a home today is that the price is destined to drop -- not because of "the economy," or unemployment, or an increase in foreclosures -- but only because in a few years, rates will be closer to historical average -- 7-8%, maybe more.

To express this mathematically, a $250,000 house today, with 20% down and a 5% mortgage is a monthly payment of $1074. If rates increase to 7%, a payment of $1074 would only enable a purchaser to buy a house for $201,720 -- that's a 19.3% drop. A dramatic rise in rates isn't really necessary to prove the point -- at a 5.5% rate, $1074 only buys a $236,000 house, at 6% only $224,000. And the percentage changes are equivalent whether you're talking about a $100k, $250k, or $5 million house.

Even being a responsible buyer, waiting out the recession, with a solid down payment, and traditional mortgage, it seems that any house purchase today is guaranteed to lose value in the next few years just due to interest rates eventually "reverting to the mean." I'm ignoring the economic factors, because that's a completely other argument, but if the economy did improve, rate increases would be more likely.

Comments? Can rates increase without home prices dropping proportionately? How long is the lag? Anyone disagree that monthly payment, not home price, is the true driver of buyer demand? Is waiting it out (i.e. renting) the way to go for now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 04:55 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,689 times
I've wondering about this too and I don't really know what the answer is.

All signs point to increasing interest rates at some point in time, but at the same time I am sure the fed would like and will work to keep interest rates low until housing is back on its feet.

I don't think you'd see equal drops across all price points since at some dollar value people will have cash and interest rates aren't an issue. Look at all the cash buying activity already going on.

It is a good question none the less.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:59 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
The correlation is not necessarily as strong as you might think.

Especially in Vegas where the percentage of all cash buyers is very high. The crumbling of Las Vegas real estate as an investment would do far more damage to Vegas real estate prices than would an increase in interest rates.

The bigger issue for any individual is how much they will be able to further save by delaying their home purchase. Having 40-50% as a downpayment instead of 20% goes a very long way towards mitigating the impact of a high interest rate. Combine a high downpayment with a drop in RE prices, and you're in the catbird seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas