Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 11:52 AM

15 posts, read 85,148 times

Advertisements

My other question was answered with such ease and quickness.. how about another?

Anyone want to give away their super-secret fishing locations? Kidding, but just looking for spots in Las Cruces that are closer then going to Caballo Lake. I've taken the kids to Young's Park and that is cool to teach them how it's done (my son caught his first fish there), but I'd like to take them -real- fishing without having to drive for an hour+.. is that possible? I'll fish for whatever.. I liked fishing bass, but I'll go for whatever.. trout, catfish, etc.

Is there fishing to done near Radium Springs?
Is Burn Lake stocked and kept up at all?
Are there spots along the Rio worth fishing?

Thanks y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,004 times
I don't usually stalk people like this but you've happened to touch on two things I know a little about! lol

Burns lake is ok for catfish in warm weather and maybe some blue gill or bass not very nice nor is the fishing very good. It's better for trout in the winter. The pond at the University, you go in through the south side of the Pan Am in the parking lot, is a really nice atmosphere but it's basically kid fishing too.

There are some big cats in the river (fish with shrimp or chicken liver) and I've caught some over the years as well as some really big turtles but you have to find a hole. They're constantly moving with the current, and access is an issue too.

You can go up in the mountains, Bonita is opening in tomorrow in Ruidoso and will be very good for a while but it's a little further than Caballo even. Real pretty though.

Fact - there really isn't any real good fishing closer than the lakes (and they're not that great), to my consternation.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:15 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I don't usually stalk people like this but you've happened to touch on two things I know a little about! lol

Burns lake is ok for catfish in warm weather and maybe some blue gill or bass not very nice nor is the fishing very good. It's better for trout in the winter. The pond at the University, you go in through the south side of the Pan Am in the parking lot, is a really nice atmosphere but it's basically kid fishing too.

There are some big cats in the river (fish with shrimp or chicken liver) and I've caught some over the years as well as some really big turtles but you have to find a hole. They're constantly moving with the current, and access is an issue too.

You can go up in the mountains, Bonita is opening in tomorrow in Ruidoso and will be very good for a while but it's a little further than Caballo even. Real pretty though.

Fact - there really isn't any real good fishing closer than the lakes (and they're not that great), to my consternation.
Thanks for the answer about Burns lake TKO ...as i was curious to about the fishing scene there myself. That was such a fun place back in the 70's when i was a kid there when it had the giant water slide and giant cranes to swing off on ropes into the water below. Fun memories back then .

6/3

Old 03-30-2009, 12:44 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,004 times
You're welcome 6/3. I know there have been threads about Burn's Lake but I can't say enough times how disappointing it is to have something here with such promise that's been left to go to crap. I remember swimming in it when I was a kid too. The place was packed with people having a good time, there was a snack and picnic areas and big trees. We really need to bring it back - even better I hope!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:17 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
I've gone to Radium Springs three times, and have been skunked all three. I think I had one bite in the three attempts. However, the pond next to Pan Am, I've gotten pan fish out of there every time I've gone. I always throw them back though.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:12 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
It is a shame what happened to Burns Lake.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
You're welcome 6/3. I know there have been threads about Burn's Lake but I can't say enough times how disappointing it is to have something here with such promise that's been left to go to crap. I remember swimming in it when I was a kid too. The place was packed with people having a good time, there was a snack and picnic areas and big trees. We really need to bring it back - even better I hope!
That's right about the snack and picnic areas as your jaring my memory . Also it had flat wooden platforms in the middle of the lake you could swim to and either rest or hang out on before swimming again.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I've gone to Radium Springs three times, and have been skunked all three. I think I had one bite in the three attempts. However, the pond next to Pan Am, I've gotten pan fish out of there every time I've gone. I always throw them back though.
Mike......i heard that they've really improved on the trail system at Radium Springs and also added nice pinic areas .

Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Mike......i heard that they've really improved on the trail system at Radium Springs and also added nice pinic areas .
I can vouch for that 6-3. It was, in spite of the lack of fishing success, a great place to bring the family for a picnic. The trail system seemed to gravitate around the Leasburg Dam, I didn't venture very far off it, admittedly. The best time to go up there and enjoy the splendor of Radium Springs is April IMO. You don't even have to catch fish to enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces