Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:35 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,301,928 times

Advertisements

you are only a few hours from , Tombstone, Bisbee , AZ and close to Cloudcroft and Ruidoso it s a good place to retire if you dont mind the heat in Las cruces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 04:43 AM

37 posts, read 39,228 times
Wilberry, are you from Bisbee?
One of our favorite comedians lives in Bisbee.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:02 PM

45 posts, read 104,139 times
The heat I can deal with...35 years of Montana winters was one year too many!

Haven't been to Bisbee but have visited a friend over in Arivaca a couple of times. Went to a concert in Ruidoso in October.
First big name concert I didn't have to travel 350 mile to see! Nancy is incredibly happy here..which makes my life even better! 40 minutes to El Paso, 1 hour to Almogordo,1 hour to Deming, an hour to 1 Mexico....1.5 hrs to Silver City.....All without having to ever deal with a blizzard!

Old 01-12-2018, 04:26 PM

I plan on having a drip system installed at our new house. Does anyone know what one of these systems cost to have installed. I'm not looking for whole yard irrigation, more for specific landscaping and plants. We will not have a lawn as the yard is already xeriscaped. We just want to make a small section around the patio more shady with bird attracting flowers and plants.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,168,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bccruce pershing View Post
I plan on having a drip system installed at our new house.
Most gardening depts. sell the necessary items for installing your own. More likely to find fully stocked closer to spring planting time. Can attach a timer directly to an existing faucet so there is no serious plumbing work that needs doing.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:01 PM

Thanks Joqua.
Yea, I know I can do it myself but I'm going to have it and the landscaping done professionally. (I pretty much sold or gave away all but my basic tools when I moved) I have some big cactus to have moved first and some other details I don't want to mess with...like digging and moving dirt piles and re locating the cactus and some other..well you get the picture.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:28 PM

7 posts, read 15,347 times
bccruce pershing,

Did you end up buying a house in Pichacho Hills? I've been looking at Las Cruces (esp. Picacho for 6-7 years)..just gotta get the wife on board with the idea. We're putting the house up for sale late 2018/early 2019.

We've lived on a mountain in SW Washington for 25 years and the thought of neighbors within 200 feet bothers me...but I'm tired of the 5 months of rain and gloom.

I grew up in the Spokane Valley in E. Washington and moved from there in 1990. Spent many wonderful days of backpacking in the Bitterroot, Cabinet & Mission mountains fishing for cutts and brookies. I would've moved to Montana 40 years ago...except for the snow/cold.

Sounds like you are really content with your choice of Las Cruces. If you moved to Picacho....would do you like about it?

Last edited by cabanaboy; 01-19-2018 at 04:25 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 05:02 PM

Yes, we bought a house in Picacho Hills. We are currently renting a house in the same area. When we made the decision to retire to Las Cruces, we were not sure if we would like it here at all. We stayed in a vacation rental in Picacho Hills while we searched for a house to rent. This house happened to be the first one we looked at and it's a very nice place and well within our budget. After getting to know our way around, and getting a learning how really nice the people here are, it was apparent this was the town we were looking for and made the decision to buy. (The weather is as good as it gets too!)
We really looked at a lot of different properties around town and all the way out to Radium Springs and down to La Union. We found numerous houses that we really liked. We kept getting drawn back to Picacho Hills! It seems like the average cost of a home in this area is around 250k. I only saw a couple of houses under 200k and a number of houses from 275-400k..after that the price goes way up! There are several new subdivisions being developed in Picacho Hills with new houses starting around 220k and up.

The Sonoma Ranch area probably has the most houses available. That whole area is relatively new and the homes are all very nice. I don't think there is any unappealing houses anywhere in that area. However the density there was a big turn off for my wife and I. It looks like almost every square inch has a house crammed into it. I did not want a house with another house right out my back door.

Picacho Hills was originally a golf course community and the homes in the area were built further apart. There are good views from just about everywhere, and it just seems more relaxed here. We are not big golfers, and did not buy a house on the golf course itself but it's nice because it provides a beautiful green space. It's like living in the country but still close to every amenity.

Kind of long winded, but this was definitely the right move for us.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:52 PM

7 posts, read 15,347 times
bccruce pershing,

Not long winded at all.....I really appreciate your response. Picacho Hills sounds like something we would enjoy. Thanks again!

Old 01-20-2018, 10:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,168,152 times
Friends of mine recently sold a house they had lived in for quite a few years, located in the Talavera area on the east side of the valley behind "A" mountain.

They are now trying to sell their other house in the Sonoma Ranch area.

They are buying a house in Picacho Hills and told me the golf course is up for sale.

https://www.landandfarm.com/property/Picacho_Hills_Country_Club-3559884/

If their purchase of the new house goes through, they will have an unobstructed view out over the valley all the way to the Organs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces